AFLW AFLW General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We should pull up Paul Roos response to AFL complaints to the Swans several years back. Put it on the answering machine, and go back to training whatever gameplan we want.

Patronising gits. Stop interfering.

I still remember hearing Demetriou at some stage in the mid 2000’s tell us that nobody likes stoppages, and then basically legislating stoppages out of the game. I still don’t know who the people were that didn’t like stoppages, or what they failed to appreciate about what had been fine arts such as ruckwork and clearance work. But they changed the rules up to remove it all, and I still shake my head that the greatest player I ever saw (Diesel Williams) would not find a place on the ground in today’s game.

This is all by way of saying that while I find offensive the whole notion of the AFL telling the women’s coaches how to play the game, it’s slightly better than changing the rules to manufacture an outcome (when the game should just be allowed to evolve). I’m sure we’ll tread down the weary rules path soon enough though.

Poor form by the AFL to change the rules mid-season. There's been plenty of ultra- defensive games by Ross Lyon coached teams over the years that have never resulted in these type of knee-jerk reactions by HQ. I wonder if Collingwood had converted more of our Inside 50 opportunities resulting in a closer scoreline would the AFL have taken the same actions?

Poor form by the AFL to change the rules mid-season. There's been plenty of ultra- defensive games by Ross Lyon coached teams over the years that have never resulted in these type of knee-jerk reactions by HQ. I wonder if Collingwood had converted more of our Inside 50 opportunities resulting in a closer scoreline would the AFL have taken the same actions?
Both teams missed a few. Not even mid season though. Round one over reaction.

Can I make a suggestion to swap this thread onto the main page with the ridiculous, unnecessary banter thread? No-one goes seeking out the banter thread - this one on the other hand sits buried in here - bit disrespectful for mine.

Fremantle vs Collingwood at Perth Stadium to break 89-year-old crowd record

9405832-3x2-940x627.jpg

Missed this one the other day:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-05/hinds-alfw-should-be-judged-on-its-merits/9395082
AFLW: It's time the game is considered on its merits — particularly when it has so many

The Melbourne-Greater Western Sydney match on Saturday was an infinitely more skilful and compelling demonstration of what fans can anticipate from the competition's best teams this season.
[nods endlessly] uhuh, sure, yup

At least he correctly identified that Collingwood were the root cause of turning the game into a farce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical AFL, no logic applied, just change the rules to fix something that isn't broken.

• 16 players on a full size ground means more running and leg fatigue, leading to diminishing skills. Coaches will bubble the players around the ball to create conjestion anyway whether they have 16, 14 or 12 players on the field.
  • How about seeing how the 2nd season pans out and then have a discussion with the coaches if the games are not a spectacle.
  • Okay it wasn't high scoring but how many opportunities were missed in the 2nd half?
  • How tense was it in the 2nd half when Collingwood got the ball into their forward line a number of times but were repelled?
  • Watch the game and appreciate it for what it is.
  • Is every AFL men's game exciting to watch?

Yeah but they can't kick :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacinda_Barclay

"Barclay began playing Australian football at the age of twelve, although she gave it up for a period in order to concentrate on baseball.[2] At amateur level, she played for periods with Swan Districts in the West Australian Women's Football League (WAWFL) and the UNSW Eastern Suburbs Stingrays in the Sydney Women's AFL competition.[6] Barclay represented both Western Australia and NSW/ACT at the AFL Women's National Championships.[7][8]"

IMG_4234.PNG

People expect to see better technique than this in an elite competition. This kicking action is completely unreflective of her experience and what she should be capable of. I've identified and given a reason as to why.

"Barclay began playing Australian football at the age of twelve, although she gave it up for a period in order to concentrate on baseball.[2] At amateur level, she played for periods with Swan Districts in the West Australian Women's Football League (WAWFL) and the UNSW Eastern Suburbs Stingrays in the Sydney Women's AFL competition.[6] Barclay represented both Western Australia and NSW/ACT at the AFL Women's National Championships.[7][8]"

View attachment 458428

People expect to see better technique than this in an elite competition. This kicking action is completely unreflective of her experience and what she should be capable of. I've identified and given a reason as to why.
Goes back to the same issue I brought up though doesn't it - it's the coaching back in under 12s that you should be lambasting. You don't just forget how to kick a footy and need to invent a whole new, incorrect technique. Almost guaranteed she would have been kicking the same back as a teenager.

View attachment 458428

Don’t believe anyone has argued the skills are the best they can be and there is no room for improvement.

The argument is about (un)realistic expectations, methods used to improve skills and how long it will/should take.

Can find several examples of poor technique from our men’s team alone and these guys haven’t had a break from the sport during their best development years, due to lack of opportunities to play.

View attachment 458428

I'm done here.

Goes back to the same issue I brought up though doesn't it - it's the coaching back in under 12s that you should be lambasting. You don't just forget how to kick a footy and need to invent a whole new, incorrect technique. Almost guaranteed she would have been kicking the same back as a teenager.

I agree, the under 12s coaching is part of the problem. At every level she has been at, she would have presented with the same horrific kicking technique and no one would have pulled her up on it and said that's not good enough.

You can look back over past decades and find plenty of men playing AFL/VFL footy with awful looking ball drops.

Curly Austin springs to mind.

As a kid you learned how to kick the footy before you went anywhere near a club. It was a case of working out what worked for you. Curly played over 200 games for Carlton and was a premiership player. His doggedness at the contest made him a formidable opponent. He had a ‘unique ’ way of kicking that was honed in the back yard or school yard. By the time he got to play in an organised way his kicking style was entrenched and couldn’t be changed.

If league careers were decided on a kicking action I would have played 200 games for Carlton as well as being a premiership player.

Don’t believe anyone has argued the skills are the best they can be and there is no room for improvement.

The argument is about (un)realistic expectations, methods used to improve skills and how long it will/should take.

Can find several examples of poor technique from our men’s team alone and these guys haven’t had a break from the sport during their best development years, due to lack of opportunities to play.

I've watched a total of 2 minutes 50 of AFLW and this was in that clip. There is no player in the AFL, VFL, SANFL or WAFL with a kicking technique as bad as that and I challenge you to find it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back