AFLW AFLW General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately our recruiting team picked up the Hughes drafting manual instead of SOS's and went out drafting shiny white knights first, instead of blood and bone players.
We chased bookends before a midfield. We have some tough ladies in our team but few outside runners who can deliver a ball.
No, they thought they could turn Stevens into a bonafide midfielder in what they thought was a slower, more contested league.

They were horribly wrong.

Straight from the Hughes manual, let's get a half back flanker and turn them into a mid

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
It's more that they thought a contested player with no acceleration off the mark was the prototypical midfielder for the AFLW.

Good luck Katie Brennan, too bad you don't look like Trent Crotchchin, you would have got off.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has backed match review officer Michael Christian’s call to suspend Western Bulldogs captain Katie Brennan, and insists there was no special treatment for Tiger skipper Trent Cotchin last year.

Surely he didn't say it with a straight face.

$120k? Jeezus, Eddy is trying to land his own Judd-Visy deal now.

Alright, we'll take Chloe Molloy, Steph Chiocci and a first round pick for Bri, she's got a bung knee anyway.
It would be fun to see the shoe on the other foot in one of these trades, as the AFL won't let them buy their way around a trade.

She was working full-time here, wasn't she? So she must have been on something close to $90k total. More, if we were set to bring her over to our VFLW team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damien Keeping has been signed up as coach of the Casey Demons VFLW team, they had a bye for round 1.

Also, the AFL have finally given details for the AFLW trade period.

• Expansion signing window 11 May to 21 May.
  • The order for this year’s NAB AFLW Draft will be confirmed on May 22.
  • Re-signing and trade window 23 May to 4 June.
  • Free agency period 4 June to 7 June.
  • Maximum four players from any one club can transfer to the expansion clubs combined.
  • Clubs have the right to counter-offer.
  • New four-tiered payment structure in place. Pay amounts to be confirmed when broadcast deal is arranged.

While Geelong have already raided the Demons and picked up 4 players, who will sign on Friday. Mel Hickey, Richelle Cranston, Erin Hoare and Anna Teague

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-08/aflw-cats-get-claws-into-four-demons

While Geelong have already raided the Demons and picked up 4 players, who will sign on Friday. Mel Hickey, Richelle Cranston, Erin Hoare and Anna Teague

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-08/aflw-cats-get-claws-into-four-demons
All four have direct Geelong ties; a couple of key defenders, a towering ruck and a general forward.

No spring chickens amongst those signings, however.

Any more info on any compensation or means of restricting top tier talent from flying out the door? So far it's technically been 2 players, with a couple mre that are 'best 22' types.

If there's no cap on the total number of signings, Geelong and North could use this system to gather a full list if they wanted.

Player movement arrangements confirmed

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-05-09/player-movement-arrangements-confirmed

From Friday 11 May until Monday 21 May, the two expansion teams will have the ability to sign players to their list.

Only four players from any one club can transfer to the Cats or Roos, unless agreed by the clubs and the AFL.

Key AFLW dates

May 11-21 Expansion signing period commences / closes
May 22 2018 NAB AFLW Draft order set
May 23 – June 4 Sign & Trade period commences / closes
June 4 – 7 Free agency period commences / closes
June 8 Preliminary List Lodgement

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-05-11/aflw-signings

The North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos has acquired one of the strongest lists in AFLW history, with several of the competition’s superstars making the move to Arden St.

Joining the league’s best player, Emma Kearney, is Jasmine Garner, Jamie Stanton, Jess Duffin, Tahlia Randall, Danielle Hardiman, Jenna Bruton and Katherine Gillespie-Jones

AFLW is at risk of being run by men for men. Where are the female coaches?

AFLW, AFL: where have all the women coaches gone?

Excellent question. At least we have a woman running footy ops. It also touches on clubs that are visibly consolidating their coaching structures to improve their AFLW teams.

We've now got a VFLW team, with many AFLW players, that should be reaping the benefits of an AFL club's resources, coaching and conditioning infrastructure.

Why aren't they?!

Instead, we've got a director who oversees the footy ops subcommittee using column inches to argue about the specifics of trans athletes in AFLW.

I have lost all respect by Caro for pushing ... but not fully saying the AFL (Clubs) are sexist. She didn't quite come out and say it, but she could not have put more innuendo in there if she tried.

How about this Caro .... Best fit ... most qualified? When teams don't perform, coaches are held to account?

Agenda much?

This league is TWO years in .... how about get behind clubs that are developing coaches? How about asking the AFL to invest more money into AFLW? How about go on a National campaign to draw females coaches into the AFL from other sports?? How about shifting the spotlight in a positive way to the in-roads the game has made into what once was a traditionally male populated sport?

So many ways she could have approached this ..... but still went with the bull at a gate sexist card .... well done ...

I for one love that fact the MY Club is apart of the female league. Makes me bloody proud.

Too hard for you Caro?

EDIT: One more thing ..... At local league level ... if it were NOT for the girls/women, local footy WOULD NOT EXIST!
It's my big issue with Caroline Wilson.

She's unremittingly negative. She doesn't flinch away from calling stuff out, but it's all she is and all she does. She's an ambulance chaser who, when she looks, sees only flashing lights; too much a journalist to take a step back and realise that progress in life is rarely linear, and is fought for with tooth and nail until it surges forth.

It's my big issue with Caroline Wilson.

She's unremittingly negative. She doesn't flinch away from calling stuff out, but it's all she is and all she does. She's an ambulance chaser who, when she looks, sees only flashing lights; too much a journalist to take a step back and realise that progress in life is rarely linear, and is fought for with tooth and nail until it surges forth.
You're normally more measured than this, but your comments are dripping with irony on this issue. She's highlighting a genuine problem, and is asking for a genuine solution, not just blind appointment of women in positions around the AFL.

So Judd should have shut up then? Judd was wrong in entering the discussion. Say it!
It's a TV show, they're supposed to present as complete and thrashed-out an argument as they can in that time slot.

For all we know, Judd is something of the heel to Caro's hero, to borrow from some wrestling terms. What I'm directing you to is my bringing up the actual editorial discussion on this topic, that Caro is touching on when she made her comments last night.

I also gave Judd a bake because he was busy arguing about the merits of post-puberty trans women being eligible for the league, when it should, as it has been in a lot of sports, be examined on a case by case basis. The fact that he went out of his way to write about that is really disappointing.

Lo and behold, a day or so later he's there giving visibility to an issue, or maybe just reacting foolishly as Caro brings it up. Can't tell you which.

I just think the three idiots on FC are conspiring to target Juddy but they didn't bank him on being articulate and well educated. He doesn't have to rely on being a footballer to offer insight into the game rather uses his smarts and common sense.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Juddy isn't going to be to well received if he keeps applying logic to his arguments. Your supposed to make sweeping generalizations and back them with opinionated statements that are supposed to be taken as indisputable fact. Caro does this quite regularly & i reckon Harker could suggest some posters who do the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back