AFLW AFLW General Discussion

I'll start with the positive: I was seated at a table full of women who are very influential in women's sport and have had interesting and inspiring careers. We were all like minded and the event has spurred us on to agitate for change.

The negative:

As I said, Megan Gale was the key speaker. She had a half an hour interview that was so lame it could be published in Women's Weekly. She was speaking to a room full of women, many of whom in their early 20s, who are involved in women's footy. Speaking about motherhood for 15 minutes was completely inappropriate and did not resonate with at least half of the attendees. She referenced how 'lucky' she was to be married to a man who changes nappies--spare me--and the interviewer referred to becoming a mother as 'me time'. You could almost HEAR the eyes rolling. I could go on for hours, but essentially it boiled down women's contribution to sport as partners of players--to an audience of women who have been fighting against being treated as window dressing for years!

Gil Mclachlan thanked her for her speech and said 'I bet all the women in here are having flash backs to the birthing suite!' and my head just about exploded.
That's so bad it almost sounds like a terrible parody or something. Jeepers.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
They should’ve got Bec Goddard or similar type ..plenty of other speakers out there ....or maybe they’re all on holidays
They’ve had her before and I think she was too real for the AFL set. They probably didn’t appreciate when she said “I’ve been held back in my career because I have a fanny”—even though that’s far more real and relatable!

They’ve had her before and I think she was too real for the AFL set. They probably didn’t appreciate when she said “I’ve been held back in my career because I have a fanny”—even though that’s far more real and relatable!
Gil is pathetic

How about Catherine McGregor.....I’ve heard her speak she’s is amazing

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
I'll start with the positive: I was seated at a table full of women who are very influential in women's sport and have had interesting and inspiring careers. We were all like minded and the event has spurred us on to agitate for change.

The negative:

As I said, Megan Gale was the key speaker. She had a half an hour interview that was so lame it could be published in Women's Weekly. She was speaking to a room full of women, many of whom in their early 20s, who are involved in women's footy. Speaking about motherhood for 15 minutes was completely inappropriate and did not resonate with at least half of the attendees. She referenced how 'lucky' she was to be married to a man who changes nappies--spare me--and the interviewer referred to becoming a mother as 'me time'. You could almost HEAR the eyes rolling. I could go on for hours, but essentially it boiled down women's contribution to sport as partners of players--to an audience of women who have been fighting against being treated as window dressing for years!

Gil Mclachlan thanked her for her speech and said 'I bet all the women in here are having flash backs to the birthing suite!' and my head just about exploded.

That's awful. Surely they could have gotten someone better to speak than a person who made her living out of being pretty.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

The AFLW competition committee has recommended expanding to 18 teams by 2024, according to a report.
The Age is suggesting that the committee would like to see Hawthorn, Essendon, Port Adelaide and Sydney introduced in pairs of two across 2022 and 2024.

West Coast, St Kilda, Richmond and Gold Coast will enter the AFLW this summer, increasing the competition from 10 to 14 teams.

Thoughts folks ??
To be honest Elmer, credit to whoever is running the AFLW Adelaide program. They've put a lot of effort into developing players in feeder comps. s**t all over the mens side of the club. No Riciutto would help.

Willy wanting to develop too, kudos.

Last edited:
Sure. You want to control the agenda though, you better have the money to pay the things you want.
Or prioritise some spending to grow women's game instead of other things. AFLW players aren't asking for the world.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Or prioritise some spending to grow women's game instead of other things. AFLW players aren't asking for the world.

What spending there is now generally comes out of the mens game as it is - AFLW isnt profitable and its broadcast rights are negligble. The womens game will continue to grow without that expansion right now anyway. Playing 7 or 12 games wont change that now.

The men's game and $ grew with investment. Women's will do the same.

Don't like that the women in the first few years of a comp, are meant to follow the same model of negotiation for a comp that was developed over 100 years. Needs a bit of different thinking.

Back