AFLW AFLW General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's great there's going to be a full complement of AFLW sides by the end of next year. But man I cringe when I see people using "AFL-M".

Edit...I added the "-M"...does the 'M' get stripped out of a post automatically? Have I done something wrong?

I think it's great there's going to be a full complement of AFLW sides by the end of next year. But man I cringe when I see people using "AFL-M".

Edit...I added the "-M"...does the 'M' get stripped out of a post automatically? Have I done something wrong?

AFLM

You are correct. It seems that some enterprising mod has at some point put into the swear filter that AFL-M (without the dash) should be replaced by AFL.

That's a bit soft, really.

I see our AFLW Coach Daniel Harford MC'd the Hawks AFL B&F. Is it me or is that weird?

Its an indictment that maddy only polled number 17 in Sarah Blacks list..... dunno what games she was watching ...
It's not far off.

Didn't rip a game apart last season. All teams had to do was sit on her and she was curtailed a fair bit because of lack of help.

Doesn't have the athleticism to really break a tag. Neither the speed, endurance, height or leap. What she has in spades is the will to win and mongrel.

Year before she had quick players like Hosking, Walker and Dalton to get the ball out to. Also Egan was better and took a step back this season.

Maddy herself has already admitted that the pressure/expectation of her 2020 League B&F win got to her, as well as the increased attention of opposition mids and being double-tagged on many occasions.

Will be interesting to see if/how she steps up this year. Might even pick up a thing or two from Diesel!

And if she hadn't been suspended she'd probably have a second B&F, they obviously supressed her vote after the suspension so she wouldn't finish first and be ineligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paywalled.

Does anyone have the crux of this as far as what Tayla said about Carlton?

Dunno this article popped at the same time though ...

AFLW 2022: Will Tayla Harris trade pay off for Melbourne | The Advertiser (adelaidenow.com.au)

"This off-season after a disastrous 2021 at Carlton – just 16 marks and four goals in total from six games – Harris found she did have a price.

And it wasn’t a figure the Blues were even vaguely keen to match.

Tayla Harris was traded from Carlton to Melbourne.

Carlton labelled her as distracted and distracting, a divisive presence who wasn’t worth the fuss given her diminishing on-field returns.

Her camp suggested Harris’ salary demands were severely overplayed, with the 24-year-old willing to do the work to bounce back."

Paywalled.

She collects Pokemon cards, is thinking about a mobile dog wash franchise and has lots of tatts. Is now a marriage celebrant too

Loves boxing, loves the girls at Carlton and still catches up with them, disappointed 'the club' leaked the contract stuff but that's footy business etc.

Big and longer than I expected puff piece mostly looking forward and quite respectful of Carlton.

Metalcrusher posted a more footy article

a big ol puff piece said:
The other theories that Harris wants to dispel is that she isn’t close with her former teammates – she and the Blues girls catch up often – and that she was at one point considering quitting the game.

“I’ve never quit anything in my life,’’ Harris said. “There was no big dramatic tantrum ‘I’m going to quit’ situation.

“In that moment I was absolutely focused on boxing and I couldn’t afford the energy to go into that stuff hence why my silence probably frustrated the media.

“My key in life is to intently listen as opposed to wait for your turn to talk. I’ve found that every single time I do that something amazing has come from it. I refuse to let negativity creep in anymore. It makes for a sad life.”

Naturally it hurt to be told by Carlton that she was no longer required and she admits there’s a small part of her that hopes they regret their decision

Paywalled.

Disappointing is the word. You would hope your workplace could keep private information private but this is the footy world and things get out there,’’ she says.

“But I think inaccurate contract discussion is frustrating because it doesn’t reflect the

“I wouldn’t have thought anything really went wrong,’’ she says of Carlton. “It was just timing. Covid was incredibly tough and impacted me way more than I realised in the moment.

“What I produced last season, as much as it wasn’t up to the standard of my previous seasons, I’m proud that I even had the mental capacity to play because it was tough.

Did Carlton actually say anywhere that she was divisive?

There were plenty of rumours of division in the team last year though and Harrington for one, was frustrated at times.

Harris for her part didn't look like she wanted to be there.

A united team is well worth losing some talent here and there.

Totally agree with this sentiment, but I said at the time - and nothing's changed yet to dispel my belief - when she departed from Carlton, you can't say that Tayla was a "talent". She really didn't produce anything in her last season with us, and what she contributed in previous seasons was good, without being great.

But yeah, onward an upward. Hopefully the team will be more about fast, precise ball movement this year, rather than relying on the "big mark in the forward line" to score.

Did Carlton actually say anywhere that she was divisive?

There were plenty of rumours of division in the team last year though and Harrington for one, was frustrated at times.

Harris for her part didn't look like she wanted to be there.

A united team is well worth losing some talent here and there.
If she's such a star of the game, why didn't we get compensated with draft picks? If Melbourne are paying her triple what a mid-tier AFLW player is getting paid why did we get the short end of the stick?

Probably because it played out in the media and everyone knew we weren't going to renew her contract. Amateur hour by the club.

Totally agree with this sentiment, but I said at the time - and nothing's changed yet to dispel my belief - when she departed from Carlton, you can't say that Tayla was a "talent". She really didn't produce anything in her last season with us, and what she contributed in previous seasons was good, without being great.

But yeah, onward an upward. Hopefully the team will be more about fast, precise ball movement this year, rather than relying on the "big mark in the forward line" to score.
What she did contribute was taking the best defender every week. And there's usually only one good one per team ATM. Allowed others freedom.

Now, that player goes to Vescio who is a year older.

What she did contribute was taking the best defender every week. And there's usually only one good one per team ATM. Allowed others freedom.

Now, that player goes to Vescio who is a year older.
If opposition teams send the sort of player to Darcy, that they used to send to Tayla, they'll be in for a bad day. Darcy would run rings around them. A player like that might stop Darcy's aerial game, but they wouldn't be able to touch her once the ball hits the deck ...

^^^
Yeah, it was really odd. Seemed like instead of working on the areas of her game that were falling away, eg goal-kicking, leading patterns, contested marking, she just decided that she could literally fight her way through a serious form slump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back