Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea where to post AFLW stuff these days so I'll just park this here:

Aasta O'Connor is the latest to join the exodus from the flag winning WB side. She is joining Geelong. :( It's a Dis-Aasta!

How many is that now?
At this rate it will soon be quicker to list who is left rather than who has left.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-05-18/oconnor-leaves-bulldogs

The Norfettes look like being competitive in their first season. Mo Hope has just signed as well.

Hope will join Emma Kearney (Western Bulldogs), Jasmine Garner (Collingwood), Jess Duffin (Collingwood), Kaitlyn Ashmore (Brisbane), Jamie Stanton (Brisbane), Tahlia Randall (Brisbane) and Danielle Hardiman (Carlton) in a long list of talented players to be acquired by North Melbourne this off-season.

Ruck Emma King (Collingwood) is also expected to be confirmed as another Roo signing.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-18/mo-hope-walks-out-on-pies-joins-roos

Some real talent there. Is there a salary cap or can they just spend whatever they want on players?

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
The value will be the in young talent that comes through as participation explodes in women's footy. Saw it with Conti and Huntington before she went down this year. Groves also seems to have a knack for taking athletes form other sports and teaching them really solid fundamentals of the game and getting them to execute a role. Norf are buying yellow bananas maybe, we will see I guess.

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who has left apart from Kearney and Aasta?

Jenna Bruton and Daria Bannister both gone to North.

Funny as it may sound to say this after the year Kearney had, I think O'Connor is our biggest loss. Definitely the one I'm most upset about.

I haven't seen this directly reported anywhere, but apparently North have pushed themselves down in the draft as a result of all the signings they made, which is only fair. And it's a critical draft for us to do well in, imo. Pick up another couple of gun young players and we're well placed for next season. Pretty frustrating there's zero clarity about how compensation / start-up picks / literally anything else is going to be handled.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who has left apart from Kearney and Aasta?
Jenna Bruton and Daria Bannister are two others that will leave the Dogs with both going to NMFC.
I think that is it but Norf will be lining up with Emma King, Mo Hope, Kearney, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Jess Duffin and Jas Garner along with those two.

Apparently the full draft order will be released today as well. We better have a top five pick after losing Kearney!

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jenna Bruton and Daria Bannister both gone to North.

Funny as it may sound to say this after the year Kearney had, I think O'Connor is our biggest loss. Definitely the one I'm most upset about.

I haven't seen this directly reported anywhere, but apparently North have pushed themselves down in the draft as a result of all the signings they made, which is only fair. And it's a critical draft for us to do well in, imo. Pick up another couple of gun young players and we're well placed for next season. Pretty frustrating there's zero clarity about how compensation / start-up picks / literally anything else is going to be handled.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kangaroos-confirm-hope-signing-20180521-p4zgk4.html mentioned here they will likely be pushed to the back end of the draft.

Only really good thing about Norf and Geelong being so aggressive in signings is building up the fan interaction with a good side but also that we have better access to draftees.
This years draft corp is pretty strong and don't see Geelong and Norf having picks till the 30s-40s.

Gippsland Power has become a powerhouse development team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought apart from the marquee players, all others got a flat rate of payment? I'm just wondering why regular players would leave the reigning premiers which seemed to have a very good team culture for another team on the same pay and same playing opportunity.
There have always been ways to circumvent such things. Originally (1950s and earlier) it was the brown paper bag full of folding stuff. Later it was payment for non-footballing duties (e.g. a few hours a week doing club PR). There's always the likelihood of members of business coterie groups offering the player token employment on good money. No money passes hands between the club and the player at all, but there are winks and nods all round.

That's if the flat payment thing still exists. The AFL is so opaque on all this (read: making it up as they go along) that we'd never know.

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought apart from the marquee players, all others got a flat rate of payment? I'm just wondering why regular players would leave the reigning premiers which seemed to have a very good team culture for another team on the same pay and same playing opportunity.

I think there'll be a few payment tiers next year, but with all this player movement going on before that's set in stone, I'm not sure how much of a factor that can be in players moving. Also, in a few publicised cases and probably a fair few more quiet ones, there's other employment opportunities offered by the clubs other than just playing footy.

Kearney also had ties to North Melbourne already (and now has a full-time role there), and Bannister being from Tasmania has good reason to play for them as well. I'm not sure of any ties O'Connor or Bruton have to the other clubs, might be as simple as wanting to play with certain players or under particular coaches. With the AFLW being such a short season and all the players forced onto one-year contracts only that aren't even for a full year's work, the commitment many of these players have to their clubs would have to be a pretty different beast to how it is in most other types of footy.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
A lot of marquis players are also employed by their club. Vescio and Davey have full time jobs at Carlton, Pearce is employed by Melbourne and I'm sure that Collingwood's second marquis player is working at the club.
I believe we're the only Victorian club not playing silly buggers with it.

I think there'll be a few payment tiers next year, but with all this player movement going on before that's set in stone, I'm not sure how much of a factor that can be in players moving. Also, in a few publicised cases and probably a fair few more quiet ones, there's other employment opportunities offered by the clubs other than just playing footy.

Kearney also had ties to North Melbourne already (and now has a full-time role there), and Bannister being from Tasmania has good reason to play for them as well. I'm not sure of any ties O'Connor or Bruton have to the other clubs, might be as simple as wanting to play with certain players or under particular coaches. With the AFLW being such a short season and all the players forced onto one-year contracts only that aren't even for a full year's work, the commitment many of these players have to their clubs would have to be a pretty different beast to how it is in most other types of footy.
Good points. True, the level of commitment would be different, noting the timeframes involved. Hadn't thought of that. Also I guess with the infancy of the competition there's more scope for clubs to do underhanded deals like dogwatch suggested. Probably less oversight in that area too. Also the shorter time frames of the season would impact that too (ie a job on the side is a lot more appealing to a part time footballer).
Hmmm, all good reasons. Just very disappointing to happen after a premiership in a side that looked to have a very good chemistry and feeling within the group.
Other sides can also be pretty disappointed with some of their departures (Bris, Pies) considering what they have tried to build so far.

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good points. True, the level of commitment would be different, noting the timeframes involved. Hadn't thought of that. Also I guess with the infancy of the competition there's more scope for clubs to do underhanded deals like dogwatch suggested. Probably less oversight in that area too. Also the shorter time frames of the season would impact that too (ie a job on the side is a lot more appealing to a part time footballer).
Hmmm, all good reasons. Just very disappointing to happen after a premiership in a side that looked to have a very good chemistry and feeling within the group.
Other sides can also be pretty disappointed with some of their departures (Bris, Pies) considering what they have tried to build so far.

I agree, for all that I can look at it logically and not hold it against the players, I'm really really disappointed to lose O'Connor and Bruton. Can't imagine how dirty Pies and Lions fans must be at the moment. The players can do what they like and should look after themselves, but the rules really stuffed Brisbane around, since if I'm understanding the draft rules right they don't even have access to the Vic talent that us and Collingwood do in the draft. I don't see how draft concessions are going to do them any good, since they're the only Queensland team, but we'll wait and see I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back