Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
BTW, has anyone seen Katie Brennan star in an AFLW match? Or even be moderately influential? I just don't see it with her. Give me a Lamb, a Spark, an Ernst or a Conti any day.
Good point !

Just once. Round 1 last year against Freo.

Other than that average and injury prone.

It's a shame you left the ground DP. That was our best quarter despite being outscored and Ellie Blackburn being KO'd in the first few seconds of the quarter. Maybe Brisbane eased off but we showed a bit more fluency and handled the ball better. Very little of the game was played in our back half that quarter.

The reasons are quite different but this year of AFLW has the feeling of 2017 AFLM about it: the premiers only a shadow of their former selves from the previous year.

The bright spot for me has been Aisling McCarthy - she moves a bit awkwardly (she really has that Irish football gait) but she is also a natural smart ball player and a good mover when she gets going. Lots of promise.

The other really noticeable things are (1) how so many players get caught trying to shift onto their preferred kicking foot, and (2) how a good side-step is worth its weight in gold in this comp. Brisbane has Exxon, McCarthy and maybe some others. We've only got Conti and Blackburn.

Oh, and did I say the umpiring was appalling? We were comprehensively outplayed by a more skilful side but gee there were some howlers.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's hard when you play the teams from the good conference, little conference humour there. Obvious tactic when
playing a kick mark uncontested side take away the time and pressure them hard, well done Brisbane. Plan B
would of been nice, maybe get the Irish girl to teach Brennan about work ethic. I don't mind some of the
Brisbane girls they follow instructions well.

Slack Nang

Senior List
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CDFC
Good point !

Just once. Round 1 last year against Freo.

Other than that average and injury prone.

Katie Brennan is the most dangerous player in the AFLW. Tonight is the third time I have seen her tackled without taking possession of the footy and a free kick payed against her for HTB. If #freekickbulldogs was ever a thing it is seriously over now. In fact those umpires tonight should not be allowed on a footy field again

Sour grapes aside, Brisbane were amazing and deserved winners. What a great game they played

Chanel 7 reported Ellie Blackburn is O.K. but you would expect her to miss next week as a precaution. On the plus side, Izzy should be back next week

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Katie Brennan is the most dangerous player in the AFLW. Tonight is the third time I have seen her tackled without taking possession of the footy and a free kick payed against her for HTB. If #freekickbulldogs was ever a thing it is seriously over now. In fact those umpires tonight should not be allowed on a footy field again

Sour grapes aside, Brisbane were amazing and deserved winners. What a great game they played

Chanel 7 reported Ellie Blackburn is O.K. but you would expect her to miss next week as a precaution. On the plus side, Izzy should be back next week
Erin Phillips I would have thought would have that title.

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So according to Paul Groves, they reckon Ellie's fine, but she's been taken to hospital for precautionary scans. Hopefully she's fine and they don't try and rush her back. Tough seeing someone you know get stretchered off in a neckbrace.

Slack Nang

Senior List
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CDFC
Erin Phillips I would have thought would have that title.

Erin Phillips is the most damaging player. I remember her as a 16 year old completely destroying all that stood in her way and she is still doing that. However, she is at least allowed to play the game. Katie has not and I think the umpires expect far too much of her and apply a different standard to the way she plays the game

Brennan was one of your better players just last week. I guess if tonight was the only game somebody had watched of her then I can understand why they might not "see it". Otherwise, one of the most puzzling takes on any footballer I've ever read.

Had a bad run with injury in recent years but then so too has Erin Phillips, and father time knows which of them can least afford it. KB still showed an ability to hit targets and help set up goals tonight, reckon a dual-AFLW All-Australian from Carlton would kill for her poor games to look like that.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only got to see the last quarter and it seemed to me that we just got out worked by the Lions. They always had someone working hard to lay a tackle putting pressure on the ball carrier.

One of the worse games I have seen our girls play, they looked tired, slow and lacked the hunger. Brissy looked quick, slick and very obviously wanted it more. Being the runner ups for the last two years, I hope they go all the way.

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One of the worse games I have seen our girls play, they looked tired, slow and lacked the hunger. Brissy looked quick, slick and very obviously wanted it more. Being the runner ups for the last two years, I hope they go all the way.

Given some of their ‘supporters’ around us in front of the Gent stand last night and their ignorance of basic rules, I hope they never win an AFLW flag.
Yes, they were more switched on than we were, and terrible umpiring aside they were superior in every facet of the game.
However, the hysteria when possibly the most over-rated player in AFLW lumbered around, dropped marks, missed easy shots at goal, was awarded a contentious mark when she barely got hands to it, make the criticisms in earlier posts about Brennan laughable. Brennan covered most of the field and competed at least. The lions key forward would struggle to get a kick against AFLW under 10s if she didn’t have size on her side. No skills, can’t kick, can’t mark, can’t compete in contested play.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Brennan was one of your better players just last week. I guess if tonight was the only game somebody had watched of her then I can understand why they might not "see it". Otherwise, one of the most puzzling takes on any footballer I've ever read.

Had a bad run with injury in recent years but then so too has Erin Phillips, and father time knows which of them can least afford it. KB still showed an ability to hit targets and help set up goals tonight, reckon a dual-AFLW All-Australian from Carlton would kill for her poor games to look like that.
Yeah too hard on her in the cool light of day, as she has been unlucky with injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder if the AFL considered a 2 division competition for the AFLW. similar to the old VFA, with lowest teams from last year and new teams forming a 2nd dixision, with annual promotion/demotion based on performance.

May seem an old fashioned solution, but the promotion/demotion factor adds tremendous interest to European football leagues.

The Original Swooper

Premiership Player
Mar 11, 2007
3rd house on the left
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
OFC FC
A simple footy basic needs to be drilled at training. Front and centre to pack contests. Often our talls are doing the right thing spoiling, only to see the oppo whisk it away when it hits the deck. Considering the class we have on ball I find this repeated basic error frustrating. Not to mention costly.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Literally just flicked it over for one minute and watched someon miss a target standing all by themselves by 50 mts and end up a point

Unwatchable
lol like we wont see this a dozen times during the season, I get it they are not as skilled as the men but some of the comments are just stupid.

Come on Dees. I'll be barracking for them now that it's season over for the Dogs.

I hope that the other pioneer of Womens AFL footy can win the premiership.

The 2 real pioneers winning 2 of the first 3 premierships would be a good result.

Wow, the Dees were robbed, five consequitive free kicks to Norf, in that last quarter. This competition is just shite.

A fifty metre penalty for what I couldn’t see, a free in the goal square, it’s just rigged.

Speaking of 50m penalties, there was something that happened in the Dogs-Lions game that had me scratching my head. The umpire gave a 50m penalty against us - I think it was in the last quarter, just our side of the centre line - and the Lions player just took off. Gogos or whoever was on the mark was scrambling backwards looking at the umpire trying to get back to where the new mark was going to be after the 50. The umpire was still running up the ground to indicate where it was but the Lions player by this time was ... gorn!

I don't know whether this is a general rule for all footy or something unique to AFLW (another downside of the AFL's relentless tinkering with the rules - nobody has any idea what the rules are any more).

Anyway my point is: What can the defending side do in this situation? If she tries to tackle the Lions player before the new mark has been set I'm pretty sure it's another 50, but at the same time the Lions' player is allowed to play on. I dn't even know if the umpire called "play on" but she sure as hell was off.

This seems to contravene the principles of sporting fairness - a player can just run away with the ball and if you try to stop her by the usual means you are penalised.

What have I missed? Or is it just the AFL stuffing up our great game yet again?
Does this rule (or lack of one) also apply to the men's game? Seems farcical.
Can someone enlighten me?

Speaking of 50m penalties, there was something that happened in the Dogs-Lions game that had me scratching my head. The umpire gave a 50m penalty against us - I think it was in the last quarter, just our side of the centre line - and the Lions player just took off. Gogos or whoever was on the mark was scrambling backwards looking at the umpire trying to get back to where the new mark was going to be after the 50. The umpire was still running up the ground to indicate where it was but the Lions player by this time was ... gorn!

I don't know whether this is a general rule for all footy or something unique to AFLW (another downside of the AFL's relentless tinkering with the rules - nobody has any idea what the rules are any more).

Anyway my point is: What can the defending side do in this situation? If she tries to tackle the Lions player before the new mark has been set I'm pretty sure it's another 50, but at the same time the Lions' player is allowed to play on. I dn't even know if the umpire called "play on" but she sure as hell was off.

This seems to contravene the principles of sporting fairness - a player can just run away with the ball and if you try to stop her by the usual means you are penalised.

What have I missed? Or is it just the AFL stuffing up our great game yet again?
Does this rule (or lack of one) also apply to the men's game? Seems farcical.
Can someone enlighten me?

New rule.
Applies to men's game as well.
Player with ball can play on whenever they want.

New rule.
Applies to men's game as well.
Player with ball can play on whenever they want.
Thanks... as far as it goes.
But my real question is what can the defending player do? Can they tackle the player? At what point is the player sprinting forward actually playing on and not just trying to get to the new mark quickly? (In the case I mentioned it was impossible to tell from what I saw). I guess the logical answer is when the umpire says "play on" but how soon will the umpire know?

I can see this rule quickly turning to s**t like most of the other new ones. Likely to confuse players, fans and even umpires.

Back