AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I cannot believe this, 3rd round pick for the best player in the league and a two time B&F.

What are they basing this on? I can only think that they asses our list very highly. Even if this is true it’s fundamentally wrong and unfair.

It’s looking like North will be a strong team.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL seem to have NFI what they doing here. It's a half draft half geographic zone system that allows clubs to snatch players by offering employment/ money bribes then arbitrarily compensates clubs based on an unknown formula.

Seems to me that GWS and Brisbane get pillaged whilst Crows and Dockers lose no one whilst the rest of the comp gets weakened.

Really the most sensible system would be to let teams recruit geographically and ask them to support footy in their zones but hey that would be too logical!

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
So our compensation pick is at the start of the third round. So much for that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-22/aflw-cats-to-get-first-two-picks-in-draft

Aw get ****ed. We lost the league B&F, two super important members of our premiership side and a young forward who can be anything.

edit: In a normal league, Brutton wouldn't even be worth a third rounder on her own let alone O'Connor and Kearney. Now this pick would be basically pick 30 odd in the regular draft but even then that is maybe enough for Brutton but not players like Kearney or O'Connor.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
It’s absolutely ******* disgraceful.

Where’s the reaction from Gordon? He has to come out swinging on this, we’ve received next to nothing for a b&f, league topping premiership player, for this year’s pick 11, and our ruck who was pick 12 in the draft the year before.

What do we get in return? A third round ******* pick?

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
This needs to be highlighted - the AFLW is a bigger rort than the AFL. I can’t see how the AFL can justify the compensation on any level. And fwiw, hopefully Kearney gets hit by the Nathan Brown karma express, and North AFLW list all contract bubonic plague (I’ve been careful not to directly wish an injury on anyone, so all good, yeah?).

No surprise. I don't think the AFL ever said that AFLW would follow the same rules and principles as the men's comp. In fact I'm surprised we are getting any compensations at all.

That doesn't make it right of course. In fact it's totally wrong from our perspective but we have to realise that the AFL is working to a completely different set of objectives to the individual clubs. It wants a rapid development to a 14 side comp (or even 18?) and the comp has to be commercially viable/successful. Some clubs' aspirations and their hard work getting established are going to suffer collateral damage in making that happen.

The danger for the AFL in steamrolling this through is that fans will become disaffected and turn their back on the women's code. I can anticipate some here on BF might feel that way.

Now that is a downside that the AFL would be sensitive to, even if it doesn't care about the inherent unfairness of established clubs being pillaged by startup clubs. However I think it's only a low risk and the AFL would know that.

So far I'd say the AFL would be delighted with the following the women's game has garnered in just two seasons. It would surely exceed their original expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
No surprise. I don't think the AFL ever said that AFLW would follow the same rules and principles as the men's comp. In fact I'm surprised we are getting any compensations at all.

That doesn't make it right of course. In fact it's totally wrong from our perspective but we have to realise that the AFL is working to a completely different set of objectives to the individual clubs. It wants a rapid development to a 14 side comp (or even 18?) and the comp has to be commercially viable/successful. Some clubs' aspirations and their hard work getting established are going to suffer collateral damage in making that happen.

The danger for the AFL in steamrolling this through is that fans will become disaffected and turn their back on the women's code. I can anticipate some here on BF might feel that way.

Now that is a downside that the AFL would be sensitive to, even if it doesn't care about the inherent unfairness of established clubs being pillaged by startup clubs. However I think it's only a low risk and the AFL would know that.

So far I'd say the AFL would be delighted with the following the women's game has garnered in just two seasons. It would surely exceed their original expectations.

I’m one of those “low risk” losses dogwatch. After 2 years of attending games (commuting from Ballarat), as well as AFLW club memberships, I’ve told my family we will now be supporting local women’s (as we do with men’s) footy only. This is the trigger for me to abandon all support for aflw - neither league (nor unfortunately our club) will get a red cent out of me again to support aflw.

I’m one of those “low risk” losses dogwatch. After 2 years of attending games (commuting from Ballarat), as well as AFLW club memberships, I’ve told my family we will now be supporting local women’s (as we do with men’s) footy only. This is the trigger for me to abandon all support for aflw - neither league (nor unfortunately our club) will get a red cent out of me again to support aflw.
Fair comment f73.
Unfortunately your support is probably seen as "expendable" in the bigger picture.
It's wrong, I know, but that's the footy business.

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
It is absolutely ridiculous. To base compensation on what players have been paid in a scheme where the wages are broken to begin with. To see what we've lost compared to Collingwood and to compare our compensation, it beggars belief. It's bloody Callan Ward all over again.

I'd definitely like to see the club react strongly on this but I don't think we will

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think that Hope and Kearney are on the wrong side of the age ledger and will drop off, whilst we have a young talented list with Izzy and Katie, both who didn’t play in our premiership.

The loss of our ruck is the hardest to replace.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have we actually re-signed any players?

Not officially, but expect all AFLW listed players on our VFLW list to re-sign.

http://vfl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/05/2018-VFLW-TEAM-LISTS-Game-and-goals-May-4.pdf

The media got sent VFLW player lists in early May and Kearney, Bruton, O'Connor and Bannister were not included on the list, well before they were announced as leaving. So I expect most deals were done a while ago and they are just waiting for the right time to announce it.

The only other premiership player missing from our VFLW list is Callinan and I have it on good word she is expected to stay as well but is playing for Darebin in the VFLW.

Last edited:
Amused at Norf Board, now think they should have been an inaugural club,, little Boris, tells me they shouldn’t even have a AFLW team.
Norf were an inaurgural club in AFLX - that should satisfy them....

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Amused at Norf Board, now think they should have been an inaugural club,, little Boris, tells me they shouldn’t even have a AFLW team.
After looking at their squad, I feel like they're going all in on getting a flag in the next two yrs. Quite a few older types, and given more teams are coming in for the 2020 season, I wonder if some of them will be poached after just the one year.

I was pretty worried early on, but I still think we'll be up there and I reckon the Crows will bounce back also. GWS seem to have escaped expansion safely which could have them in contention.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is there any point investing in developing young players if contracts are only one year? Especially if club's can offer paid employment outside the cap.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
After looking at their squad, I feel like they're going all in on getting a flag in the next two yrs. Quite a few older types, and given more teams are coming in for the 2020 season, I wonder if some of them will be poached after just the one year.

It does seem to have an element of all or nothing. Players like Molloy, Conti & Huntington have looked like experienced heads once they found their feet and I'd wager that the next crop is going to be just as impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back