Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Burke is cool in my books

I have stopped screamin now. To be frank I have just started reading Mofras bottom 50. I don't think his Cam McCarthy "Dogging" joke got the plaudits it deserved

Clearly not something AFL House is unfamiliar with

Overall a disappointing night but there were some positive signs and it was a very enjoyable game. It's so exciting watching this game grow.

As for our performance, we played well in patches but the Saints play a very well rounded game.

We relied too much on our top talent while the Saints spread was much more even. They had 19 players get 50+ ranking points, while we only had 10.

I hate to say it but we were a little undisciplined giving away 15 holding the ball free kicks to 2, 3 holding the person to 1 and 4 high contact to 2.

We also gave away 2 50 metre penalties that directly resulted in goals which in the end was the difference. They also scored 5.0 from 0-15 metres, while we scored 1.1.

Blackburn, Huntington and Lamb were all outstanding while Fitzgerald impressed in her first game.

We aren’t far away and if we tweak a few minor things and stop giving away lazy free kicks we should be a chance for the Top 6.

Looking forward to next Friday night at home.

For those interested, here are some stats that aren’t generally available...

Shots At Goal
STK
: 14 (57%)
WB: 13 (46%)

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
43 - Moody (19/3)
15 - Marshall (1/0)
2 - Toogood (0/0)
1 - Morris-Dalton (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage
STK
: 4
WB: 5

First Possessions
STK
: 31
WB: 23

Effective Clearances
STK
: 25
WB: 15

Tackle Efficiency
STK
: 75%
WB: 70%

Forward Half Contested Marks
STK
: 1
WB: 7

Score Launches
2 - Hunt, Lochland, Moody
1 - Blackburn, Brown, Guest, Lamb, Lochland, Lynch, Fitzgerald. Hunt
Targets Inside 50
9 - Hunter
5 - Toogood
2 - Berry, Lochland,
1 - Blackburn, Fitzgerald, Moody
Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Marshall, Moody, Spark

Pressure Gauge
STK
: 218 (Elite)
WB: 199 (Above Average)

Champion Data Ranking Points/Supercoach Points
199 - Blackburn
140 - Lamb
123 - Huntington
105 - Toogood
92 - Moody
90 - Hunt
78 - Lochland
76 - Fitzgerald
76 - Brown
75 - Berry
61 - Georgostathis
51 - Marshall
45 - Lynch
43 - Gutknecht
42 - Guest
35 - Morris-Dalton
35 - Newton
31 - Lagioia
16 - Hartwig
11 - Gogos
8 - Spark

Free Kick Summary...
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 9.45.14 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 9.45.26 pm.png

It seemed like the Saints were drilled to drop the ball immediately when being tackled and they were never penalised for it. Good coaching I guess if they were exploiting how HTB is enforced. Our girls must have been doing it wrong because whenever we dropped it we had a free paid against us.

I honestly haven't seen a discrepancy that big even in the AFL. We certainly gave away plenty of lazy free kicks but 15-2 for HTB is just crazy...

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 9.45.14 pm.png

Last edited:
Thanks, I really enjoyed that. Hanging out and commenting on the game here, live was a lot of fun

You are probably right, he did say something like that. I do not remember the the exact quote but I am sure it will be brought up

He now however our coach. He is not coaching a team of stars. He is coaching a team of potential stars and frankly I think he is doing a fantastic job

Issy Huntington and Ellie B were outstanding last night. Just need steady improvement from some of the youngsters. I thought Hartwig and Fitzgerald did ok for first gamers.

Disappointing result last night, but god it's good to be watching footy again. We've got a couple of bona fide stars and a lot of young players finding their feet – lots to like and should only get better from here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished the replay, wasn't able to watch it live. Umpiring aside that was a great game. Hartwig had a good debut, not quite ready but she'll be a nice player. Huntington, Toogood and Lochland is a powerful forward group especially with Blackburn doing more resting forward than a lot of forwards are capable of normally. Wish I knew what sort of injury McLeod has because she would really round it out. Just lacking a little bit on the inside I think, need one or two more mids to rotate through.

Issy Huntington and Ellie B were outstanding last night. Just need steady improvement from some of the youngsters. I thought Hartwig and Fitzgerald did ok for first gamers.

Yep we really lacked depth last night, our elite was outstanding and youngsters played young. Fitzgerald was the pick of the debutants while Hartwig had some good moment but faded later in the game. We needed more out of the likes of Gogos and Spark.

I've never seen anything from Newton to indicate why she was considered a pick 1 talent tbh.

I thought we played Newton out of position last night, her best is an inside mid that moves up the ground but I can't recall her attending a centre bounce or being inside 50. All of her touches last night were on the wing.

The player that disappoints me the most is Eleanor Brown.

For a No.10 draft pick, she really hasn't shown anything.

Yep Brown has been very disappointing considering what she showed at the U18 level.

She averaged 115 ranking points, 18 disposals (10 contested) at 61% and 3 clearances in 2018 across U18 and VFLW.

In the AFLW she averages 47 ranking points, 7 disposals (3 contested) at 50% and 0.5 clearances.

Last edited:
It seemed like the Saints were drilled to drop the ball immediately when being tackled and they were never penalised for it. Good coaching I guess if they were exploiting how HTB is enforced. Our girls must have been doing it wrong because whenever we dropped it we had a free paid against us.

Its much the same as the men’s game but it’s nonsense. No prior - fair tackle - drop the ball - no incorrect disposal - rinse and repeat. Ok the umpire will need to blow the whistle but maybe after the first five frees they’d get the message? It can’t be worse than endless scrimmages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back