Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Impossible.
According to http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-07/aflw-2019-all-you-need-to-know-about-system,
How will the finals work?
The top two teams from each conference will play off in preliminary finals on the opening weekend of the AFL season. The team that finishes first in conference A will take on the second-placed team in conference B, and vice-versa. The winners will meet in the Grand Final.

Brilliant. So the two top teams of A will play off. A fair outcome.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Divisions was the most stupid thing the AFL has come up with. Zero benefit or reasoning for them. All it does is create a potential scenario where 3rd in Div B, has more wins than 2nd in Div A. Imagine how pissed the fans will be then? Just stick with the standard ladder.

Floridog

All Australian
Mar 8, 2014
Southwest Florida
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Florida Everblades
We're only two games in, but the way thing are going at the moment suggests a slight change in the finals format. The number 1 team in division A should get a bye while teams 2 and 3 in division A play each other. The 1 and 2 teams in division b play the other prelim. Then the winner of 2-3 div A would play the number 1 team from div A in the Grand Final. The winner between 1-2 div B would play the last place team in div A and if they win they get to move up to div A next year.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
We're only two games in, but the way thing are going at the moment suggests a slight change in the finals format. The number 1 team in division A should get a bye while teams 2 and 3 in division A play each other. The 1 and 2 teams in division b play the other prelim. Then the winner of 2-3 div A would play the number 1 team from div A in the Grand Final. The winner between 1-2 div B would play the last place team in div A and if they win they get to move up to div A next year.

They are divisions like in NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL etc. Not divisions like in soccer, where the best teams are in the top division. Otherwise Brisbane would be in Div A. Div A and B are just the names of the divisions, no reference to the quality of the teams within them. Can't have two differing finals systems/pathways for each, would be unfair.

That being said, four of the best teams on form and paper seem to be in Group A, given everyone plays everyone in their division once, with a couple from the opposite. Its another example why the Divisions is such a stupid concept, we've ended up with one stacked. Means Bulldogs cannot afford to drop more than one game. Have to beat one of North or Fremantle at least I say to almost sew up the top two.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Eleanor Brown dropped for this game, kinda disappointing for our first round draft pick to not make the best 21 of 28 fit players.
Sometimes it takes a bit longer to find what works and what doesn't. To be honest, i've not noticed her a heap in the first two games but she has been mentioned in a few interviews as looking a likely type. Perhaps she is one that will just take a little longer. I am more surprised by the omission of McLeod tbh, although I guess Mackie will take that spot in the forward line and is a more lively type when she goes through the midfield.

Very interested to see how we match up against the Roos, could be a preview of the grand final if the two conferences continue the way they have.

Sometimes it takes a bit longer to find what works and what doesn't. To be honest, i've not noticed her a heap in the first two games but she has been mentioned in a few interviews as looking a likely type. Perhaps she is one that will just take a little longer. I am more surprised by the omission of McLeod tbh, although I guess Mackie will take that spot in the forward line and is a more lively type when she goes through the midfield.

Very interested to see how we match up against the Roos, could be a preview of the grand final if the two conferences continue the way they have.
It doesn’t bode well in women’s footy at this stage, as the players coming through now should be ahead of those currently playing because of the better talent pathway they’ve had. They should be able to make an impact pretty quickly.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
It doesn’t bode well in women’s footy at this stage, as the players coming through now should be ahead of those currently playing because of the better talent pathway they’ve had. They should be able to make an impact pretty quickly.
I think it is actually a good sign (provided she does make it). People talk of the quality of the pathway, but they forget the much higher level of athleticism and attack on the ball in AFLW compared to U18 level. The talent level in TAC cup is probably higher than AFLW, but the footy is slower and `softer` Brown would have played less than 5 games of senior footy prior to AFLW.

She may be a more natural kick and mark than a lot of existing AFLW players, but a lot of them have now been through 3 preseasons.

To me, this is what Brown looks like, unlike Prespakis or Parker who adapted quick, like a teenager playing senior footy, who is still a bit shell shocked by it all.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Last year was a big fan, attended games, grand final, signed up AFLW member. This year, wouldn’t waste my time supporting players we will lose for no compensation to a bunch of f***wits running the newer expansion teams who will get a free pass from the AFL dictatorship to pillage the lists of successful teams.

Support your local female teams wherever you are by all means, as I do, but my advice is not to invest one cent or one ounce of effort in engaging with AFLW.

My care factor for the game in Hobart tonight is the lowest ever for a team representing our club. No offence to the players, but management of that ‘competition’ in all aspects is an absolute ******fest.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Last year was a big fan, attended games, grand final, signed up AFLW member. This year, wouldn’t waste my time supporting players we will lose for no compensation to a bunch of f***wits running the newer expansion teams who will get a free pass from the AFL dictatorship to pillage the lists of successful teams.

Support your local female teams wherever you are by all means, as I do, but my advice is not to invest one cent or one ounce of effort in engaging with AFLW.

My care factor for the game in Hobart tonight is the lowest ever for a team representing our club. No offence to the players, but management of that ‘competition’ in all aspects is an absolute ******fest.
You put this perfectly. I am astounded at how poorly the AFLW managed North's entry into the league. How they could think it was going to be ok is just beyond me. I really want to keep actively following but I just cant

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs

Yep, Nicole Livingstone has never impressed me (More to it than just her sure). Always came across as an arrogant flog on the various shows she has been on.

Non football person.

Yep, Nicole Livingstone has never impressed me (More to it than just her sure). Always came across as an arrogant flog on the various shows she has been on.

Non football person.
What has N Livingstone done wrong? I have only heard her speak once [on 3AW] and thought she spoke very well

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Well put!

I was just on the North board trying to put forward this very point. Apparently I’m a bitter sook. It’s not their fault, obviously, but clearly they’ve been given far too much help - not only creating a dream team but also taking a wrecking ball to other established clubs.

Back