Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's been so much focus on the AFLW being too low scoring and trying to create more free-flowing attacking football, but for me this has been one of the more boring rounds in the history of the competition. Some great quality football by the winning sides but no real competitive games. Between that and the conferences, which are looking more and more ridiculous with every game played and seriously devaluing the competition, it almost felt like an exhibition round.
As long as the quality of football is improving, it is a big positive. Some really nice goals kicked this round. You are always going to get a round with a lack of competitive games, it happens in the AFL at various times as well. As for the conference system, it is becoming a farce. How they thought this was necessary in a 10 team comp, is beyond me.

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As long as the quality of football is improving, it is a big positive. Some really nice goals kicked this round. You are always going to get a round with a lack of competitive games, it happens in the AFL at various times as well. As for the conference system, it is becoming a farce. How they thought this was necessary in a 10 team comp, is beyond me.
Yeah a round of smashings isn't something to worry about on its own, it's more the combination of that with the situation we're in where the value of a win is so massively different for different teams depending on the conference they're in.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have been enjoying watching the AFLW matches this year to see the effect of the 5-6-5 system when the
ball is extracted cleanly from the centre square. I only have free to air TV so I don't see all the games, but
there has been some promising signs. Starting to lean to the idea of trying some more explosive burst
types in the midfield, Ed Richards may be worth a shot for short bursts. Saw multiple running bounces in
the Fremantle versus Collingwood game which was very good and one of the Irish GWS players kicked
an awesome left foot snap goal from deep in the pocket and I think that was her tenth quarter of football.

Suicide isn't joking material.
I didn't think what I wrote would be offensive [as people frequently use 'dark humour' here and there] but I apologise to you and / or whoever else was offended. Thanks for enlightening me.

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Surprise surprise, Nicole Livingstone's not only backing the conferences but being completely condescending and tone-deaf about it too.

"It's getting people out of their comfort zones, to actually think about two separate ladders."

“We’re sticking by the conference system … it’s an education and journey process for people that are following AFLW that we’re focusing on two ladders and two conferences, not one."

“Everybody knew that two teams would go through from each conference … if you can’t be in the top two of your conference, are you the best team? People need to get their heads around the conferences.”

Has she ever heard of PR?

Yeah if she was part of the formation of team Judas I'm crossing her off the Christmas card list.
wtf is she on about here?

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/37776affe545fa716daec5440f93a8f9

For Nicole Livingstone, the final destination for women’s AFL is for that word “women’s” to be discarded and to have footy genderless. The AFL’s head of women’s football wants people to watch their club and not be caught in debate about the male game versus the female game.
Anyone know what she is on about there?

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone know what she is on about there?
I'm not familiar with the original context but I'd hazard a guess that it's some kind of "footy is footy regardless who's playing" sentiment. People have said similar things about how people say "footy" for the men's competition and "women's footy" for the women's, like the women's game is a subclass of the (default) men's.

Though on the other hand you then have the women's competition organised in a dramatically different structure, with different rules specific to the AFLW, so honestly I have no idea what she's ever thinking.

Surprise surprise, Nicole Livingstone's not only backing the conferences but being completely condescending and tone-deaf about it too.

"It's getting people out of their comfort zones, to actually think about two separate ladders."

“We’re sticking by the conference system … it’s an education and journey process for people that are following AFLW that we’re focusing on two ladders and two conferences, not one."

“Everybody knew that two teams would go through from each conference … if you can’t be in the top two of your conference, are you the best team? People need to get their heads around the conferences.”

Has she ever heard of PR?

Deny, deny, deny

I know I'm pretty much alone on this but I don't think a conference system is necessarily a bad thing, especially where you have too many sides for everyone to play each other both home and away in the course of the season.

In the past when I've said that I've been howled down by people who assume it has to be done geographically as I gather happens in North America, so let's put that idea aside straight away.

However any system can be stuffed up by bad planning, bad scheduling, bad strategy and so on ... and the AFL has repeatedly proved pretty adept in that department. Let's not blame all the faults of the AFLW season on the conference concept when some dumb seeding and scheduling decisions are the bigger problem.

I didn't see it but I can gauge from how defensive you've been about it that it was in poor taste.
Well that assumption shouldn't neccessarily follow but some people did find it offensive. Will PM you.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
I reckon they did conferences as the networks wouldn't commit to a larger season at the required price and therefore the afl would start losing money.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I reckon they did conferences as the networks wouldn't commit to a larger season at the required price and therefore the afl would start losing money.
What do you mean, start?

AFLW is quite probably always going to lose money, if you account for it as a distinct entity.

There is a good vlog on it I posted in 1 of the AFLW forums.

Many of the benefits of the AFLW flow to the AFL directly or indirectly. So the AFL as a whole is better of overall with the AFLW, even if the AFLW specifically is not making any money.

How many girls, that become more attached to footy generally because they see women playing, end up with a full membership of their club down the track.

How many that get into AFL merchandise via AFLW go on to buy non AFLW stuff as well. How many new Auskickers.

How many new clubs, or new teams? How many smaller clubs will be kept afloat by getting a women's team?

How much pressure goes on local councils to come up with money for new or upgraded facilities?

How many mums taking their kids down to the junior footy club they played for when they were kids?

A raising tide lifts all boats, and at the moment, women's footy is that tide.

If the actual comp loses a $mill or 2 isn't going to matter.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

TheFool

Cancelled
May 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know I'm pretty much alone on this but I don't think a conference system is necessarily a bad thing, especially where you have too many sides for everyone to play each other both home and away in the course of the season.

In the past when I've said that I've been howled down by people who assume it has to be done geographically as I gather happens in North America, so let's put that idea aside straight away.

However any system can be stuffed up by bad planning, bad scheduling, bad strategy and so on ... and the AFL has repeatedly proved pretty adept in that department. Let's not blame all the faults of the AFLW season on the conference concept when some dumb seeding and scheduling decisions are the bigger problem.
I definitely 100% never ever want them to do it, but I think conferences would work better in the AFLM than the AFLW, as it's an established competition and a known quantity with a comparatively large number of teams. Trying to split a two year old 10-team competition in half, when two of the teams have literally never played before, when the players are all on one-year contracts, when newly drafted players can make such a staggering difference to the performance of a team is just asking for trouble. It's a wildly unpredictable, small and short competition and the worst possible place to be introducing conferences. They could have made much better choices in setting them up (understatement), but I still firmly believe the conference concept itself is just fundamentally not suited to what the AFLW is at this time.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As many know I have absolutely zero interest on this but I saw a breakdown on tv of the conferences(didn’t even know they existed) and whoever thought it up should be sacked.

Do they intend to keep these or do they change yearly?

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
As many know I have absolutely zero interest on this but I saw a breakdown on tv of the conferences(didn’t even know they existed) and whoever thought it up should be sacked.

Do they intend to keep these or do they change yearly?

It's been a heated topic lately, given the top two teams from each conference go through, there is a reasonable point to say the four best AFLW sides are all jammed into the one division. Of cause Nicole Livingston the AFLW boss is extremely defensive of the system. This is what she said last year

"We landed on conferences because part of our mantra with AFLW is to be unique and innovative, and we believe this is part of that progress," Livingstone told AFL.com.au.

So basically they changed it for no reason. Of cause she defends it by claiming the ladders in both divisions will balance themselves out, and that having two ladders gives people more to keep an eye on.

Not even one legit reason why they should have it. F**king muppets the lot of them.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's been a heated topic lately, given the top two teams from each conference go through, there is a reasonable point to say the four best AFLW sides are all jammed into the one division. Of cause Nicole Livingston the AFLW boss is extremely defensive of the system. This is what she said last year

"We landed on conferences because part of our mantra with AFLW is to be unique and innovative, and we believe this is part of that progress," Livingstone told AFL.com.au.

So basically they changed it for no reason. Of cause she defends it by claiming the ladders in both divisions will balance themselves out, and that having two ladders gives people more to keep an eye on.

Not even one legit reason why they should have it. F**king muppets the lot of them.

Sorry but all it does is give people who don’t like it another reason to can it.

I definitely 100% never ever want them to do it, but I think conferences would work better in the AFLM than the AFLW, as it's an established competition and a known quantity with a comparatively large number of teams. Trying to split a two year old 10-team competition in half, when two of the teams have literally never played before, when the players are all on one-year contracts, when newly drafted players can make such a staggering difference to the performance of a team is just asking for trouble. It's a wildly unpredictable, small and short competition and the worst possible place to be introducing conferences. They could have made much better choices in setting them up (understatement), but I still firmly believe the conference concept itself is just fundamentally not suited to what the AFLW is at this time.
Fair point.
Fairness isn't front and centre for the AFL. They operate first and foremost as a business (see jatz14's post a bit earlier). Everything else - including "pub test" fairness and balance - is secondary.

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The conference system is the only way it can work, with the numbers of teams preventing the playing of each other team.

It is similar to world cup events where the top from each division/conference move into the finals.

As long as we have crossover finals with the winners progressing to the Grand Final it should result in the 2 most deserving teams getting there.

It needs to be understood that the top 2 from each conference get into finals and without that system it was previously just the top 2 overall playing off.

They could have chosen a better split, but how could they realistically gauge who the best teams would be.

The conference system is the only way it can work, with the numbers of teams preventing the playing of each other team.

It is similar to world cup events where the top from each division/conference move into the finals.

As long as we have crossover finals with the winners progressing to the Grand Final it should result in the 2 most deserving teams getting there.

It needs to be understood that the top 2 from each conference get into finals and without that system it was previously just the top 2 overall playing off.

They could have chosen a better split, but how could they realistically gauge who the best teams would be.

It's not the only way it can work.
For the sake of 2 extra weeks they could have had everyone play each other once and 2 weeks of finals with 1v4 and 2v3.

It would have been the fairest outcome in any AFL competition in a very long time.

Back