Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not the only way it can work.
For the sake of 2 extra weeks they could have had everyone play each other once and 2 weeks of finals with 1v4 and 2v3.

It would have been the fairest outcome in any AFL competition in a very long time.
The fact that there were other viable options raises the interesting possibility that there was a directive to implement conferences in the AFLW to sound out and soften up the footballing public & media on the concept, with a view to introducing it in a few years in the men's comp. Especially if there are any more expansion teams added (eg Tasmania).

Just a thought ... secret agenda theories are fun.

It's not the only way it can work.
For the sake of 2 extra weeks they could have had everyone play each other once and 2 weeks of finals with 1v4 and 2v3.

It would have been the fairest outcome in any AFL competition in a very long time.

They can’t do that because when they expand again next year they can’t play everyone once. The season cannot clash with the AFL season or it will fail.

If they had finals the same weeks as the first real AFL games they would get ten people and 2 dogs to the games.

They can’t start earlier due to Xmas and kids holidays so they have that little area it’s in.

The AFL are also concerned about outlay of money when none is coming back

They can’t do that because when they expand again next year they can’t play everyone once. The season cannot clash with the AFL season or it will fail.

If they had finals the same weeks as the first real AFL games they would get ten people and 2 dogs to the games.

They can’t start earlier due to Xmas and kids holidays so they have that little area it’s in.

Timing of the season is tricky, but I think it's difficult to say there's no money coming back as a result of AFLW.

The financial benefits will be difficult to measure but AFLW will interest and convert a number of otherwise disinterested people to follow the sport (plus whatever $ TV coverages brings in, which is probably fairly small at this stage).

How that is determined, and how it measures up to the outlay of putting the competition on, is perhaps minimal and probably impossible to know, but it's not zero.

Perhaps the women could play over Christmas and get their extended break over easter period solving the problem.
People have days off over Christmas so I expect a boost in crowd numbers.
I agree the aflw should not clash with the mens.

im guessing its still free entry everywhere ? wondering if this is going to hurt in the long run, eventually they are going to charge and I wonder how thats going to go down why pay when you been getting it for free. I know its a prob at Adelaide with the WNBL now club only just standing on its feet if they get backers to save them. As for the confrences does look strange atm but who would know it was going to be that lopsided, as long as they dont go changing the confrences season after season. it will swing around and work out. And yes I think the mens will eventually go that way with expansions ect country is just too big not to think that way with more teams in.

I was talking about this season.

The semi finals and grand final already clash with rounds 1 and 2, just like the grand final in Years 1 and 2 clashed with Round 1. They had more people at the AFLW grand final at Metricon than they did for the men's match that followed. And plenty of Lions supporters went from Ikon Park to Etihad Stadium last year.

Would rather see them play October to December, weather generally a bit more user friendly with the added bonus of most of the girls having a reasonable fitness and skills base due to just finishing the vfl season. Possibly shorten the vfl season by a few weeks to give them some sort of break.

embarrassing half with embarrassing umpiring. need a huge quarter now or we're done for the year, if we're not done already

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally just flicked it over for one minute and watched someon miss a target standing all by themselves by 50 mts and end up a point

Unwatchable

Literally just flicked it over for one minute and watched someon miss a target standing all by themselves by 50 mts and end up a point

Unwatchable
But you’re watching.

And commenting about it every day.

You don’t like it...fine. But it sounds like it’s more than that. You seem to have a real problem with it.

To answer a recent thread of yours- it’s not sexist to have no interest in the game. However I think you have an unhealthy interest in bashing it.

Scott, McCarthy, Blackburn, Ernst, Conti (despite *that* point) gave us some hope that quarter, but we're done. We look slow and confused and Brisbane are nailing everything except their goalkicking. Like Adelaide round 1 except today we don't get away with it.

Brisbane are too big, too fast, too well-drilled and running in waves.

We lack any system, fumbling too much and lack confidence. As DP said, the Lions should be further ahead ... and will be by full time.

Season over.

BTW, has anyone seen Katie Brennan star in an AFLW match? Or even be moderately influential? I just don't see it with her. Give me a Lamb, a Spark, an Ernst or a Conti any day.

Brisbane easily better the side. Far too many skill errors for the Dogs, looked better that quarter but lost it in the first half. Mc Carthy, the Irish girl, a really good find and will become a very good player with more games under her belt.

BTW, has anyone seen Katie Brennan star in an AFLW match? Or even be moderately influential? I just don't see it with her. Give me a Lamb, a Spark, an Ernst or a Conti any day.

She has but not for a while. The comp's caught up to her standard I'd say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back