Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suspect the conversation went a little something like this: “Katie, it’s that time of year again where we look at our list and contracts”. “This isn’t easy to say but your performances have been well below your best for a couple of years now”. “Understandably, we need to reward the girls who are playing consistent and high quality football and as a result, we’ll need you to take a pay cut”. “But I’m Katie Brennan and I’ve been the face of this club and this league since it began”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
everyone knows my opinion on the AFLW but do the club have a problem keeping the more adequate players and if so why?

I only catch the headlines but it seems the club have lost the leaders each year?

On 360 right now. Quote regarding 'Dogs fans annoyance at lack of loyalty etc:

"I'd be disappointed if they weren't disappointed. I think I wouldn't mean anything to them and I would take it more harshly if no one cared and I walked out of the Club, but I'm incredibly sorry to those fans....." something about the loyalty fans have shown her & she hopes they'll understand.

Hope Richmond have got doors big enough for her head.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
The lack of loyalty amongst the players and the way the AFL has mishandled the introduction of a "professional" Australian Rules football league has driven me away from the AFLW and to local girl's football, especially now my daughter has started playing.

Go Sharks!!!

philmb

Cancelled
May 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
While I'm disappointed in Brennan's decision, it's not like I'm going to lose any sleep because of it. I tried my best to be supportive of AFLW, but it's failing to grow on me. I thought from the get go we chose the wrong marquee player as captain...Katie was all about being the clean cut, attractive marquee player to meet our family-friendly image and be our poster girl despite never being the best afield in any of our games (the one's where she played...). If you wanted more heart-and-soul, Blackburn should have been captain from the start. But AFLW being what it is will no doubt see the girls chase the money while they can and before the comp evens out - which will no doubt be after the current crop of players have moved on. Wake me up when we get to the point...

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
everyone knows my opinion on the AFLW but do the club have a problem keeping the more adequate players and if so why?

I only catch the headlines but it seems the club have lost the leaders each year?

I highly doubt it's an internal problem, more likely other clubs look at us as a successful healthy club. We've had a women's program for years, longer than many other clubs and we've got a premiership, why wouldn't other clubs want to take a look at our players?

Kearney went back to her original club (Melbourne University has had strong ties with North Melbourne for years).

Brennan went to Richmond in my opinion because we weren't going to offer her a Marquee contract and personally I would much rather give that contract to Conti.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Anyone able to pull up any stats on how many boys play AFL nation wide (under 18), vs how many girls play nation wide (under 18), roughly?

The women are calling for more teams citing more opportunities for more girls to play the game at a top end level, which is fair. But I feel its expanding to fast. We already know the mens competition has only just recovered from the introduction of GWS and GC, and started to even out. The talent coming through the draft is already stretched to the limit.

If there was say, 10,000 boys playing per AFL team nation wide, vs 2000 girls playing nation wide per AFLW team. Then it would be pretty clear its expanded too fast, the pathway to AFL is much greater, thus grown to soon before the junior talent is developed and will take years before it begins to settle and even out.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone able to pull up any stats on how many boys play AFL nation wide (under 18), vs how many girls play nation wide (under 18), roughly?

The women are calling for more teams citing more opportunities for more girls to play the game at a top end level, which is fair. But I feel its expanding to fast. We already know the mens competition has only just recovered from the introduction of GWS and GC, and started to even out. The talent coming through the draft is already stretched to the limit.

If there was say, 10,000 boys playing per AFL team nation wide, vs 2000 girls playing nation wide per AFLW team. Then it would be pretty clear its expanded too fast, the pathway to AFL is much greater, thus grown to soon before the junior talent is developed and will take years before it begins to settle and even out.

The number for girls is around 330, 000. Boys is about 1.2 million. This for any level right up to under 18's.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Brennan simply isn’t a match winner given the current state of the game, Kearney was by far the superior and more important footballer to have lost.

We need to keep Conti..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I always hoped it would be the pairing of Bont and KB to bring us the next father daughter, mother daughter superstar....now I'm pinning my hopes on Bonti Conti jr

And yes I am aware that this probably won't happen...but I can dream can't I?

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
On 360 right now. Quote regarding 'Dogs fans annoyance at lack of loyalty etc:

"I'd be disappointed if they weren't disappointed. I think I wouldn't mean anything to them and I would take it more harshly if no one cared and I walked out of the Club, but I'm incredibly sorry to those fans....." something about the loyalty fans have shown her & she hopes they'll understand.

Hope Richmond have got doors big enough for her head.
What a terrible thing to say. She needed a fresh start.

It is what it is. Anyway, que sera.

Vital, you have your hand on the heartbeat... what are you hearing about Conti?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reckon she will be staying on a two year deal
Shes become a tier one player

Back