Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think she's going anywhere. Better get used to her.

She was hired to be the AFL's public face for AFLW. She's a woman, famous and admired for being a champion in her long swimming career, an experienced and confident broadcast personality and someone who looks to have a bit of hardness about her if the going happens to get tough (not that I've paid her all that much attention this season, so correct me if you think that's wrong).

That doesn't mean you have to agree with her, or even like her, but unless she makes a terrible and unexpected gaffe I think she'll be in the job for a while.

The conference idea itself is not at fault. It's the implementation of it, and I doubt she'd have been instrumental in it ... at least initially. The AFLW needs to be longer (conference system or not) and if they're going to have a conference system they need to balance it far more thoughtfully than they did this year. Personally I think they have bigger issues to deal with - like the supporters of foundation clubs feeling they've been sold out - and the conference system is just a secondary issue.

Just my two bob's worth. I know many will disagree.
She had a long sports and business career after her swimming career, sitting on boards etc. She's in the role to negotiate sponsorships and the like. There'd be literally hundreds of people in Australia more qualified and skilled at her at running a competition, in an operational sense.

The issue is with AFL House seeing the value in the AFLW competition as, well, a competition, but an additional strategic arm of the AFL brand, as shown by their very rigid nature in the time frame that the competition is played, and the fact that they've done well with branding of the league and less so the operations of it.

Yuck. While pick 1 is great, we are seemingly like the GWS men's team in terms of the revolving door of talent currently.

It's the best case if she goes. There are longer-term contracts now and expansion will settle in the coming years so it's not all that bad.

As much as Conti is a terrific athlete, I don't think she's a natural footballer. Watching her this season sometimes I got flashbacks to JJ in the grand final - getting the ball, going on dashing runs and then kicking the ball to absolutely nothing. I'm sure she can improve on this, and if she goes we will miss her, but that said I'd take pick 1 for her every day of the week, especially if she still intends to keep playing basketball, which I'm assuming would mean coming into the AFLW off no preseason each year.

And as an aside, very, very happy on the two-year deal for Utri. One of my absolute favourite players at the club.

With still more teams to come in and in trying to fit the season into such a narrow window there is a real chance the AFL could stuff up womens footy at the highest level.

They would be better off bringing in ALL teams by the next season and then work out whether AFLW is in competition with the mens game or is the summer alternative, as the NTFL has done

We have already lost 4 players to expansion clubs, so it would have to be a trade. Or am I wrong?
Has that tweet been deleted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as Conti is a terrific athlete, I don't think she's a natural footballer. Watching her this season sometimes I got flashbacks to JJ in the grand final - getting the ball, going on dashing runs and then kicking the ball to absolutely nothing. I'm sure she can improve on this, and if she goes we will miss her, but that said I'd take pick 1 for her every day of the week, especially if she still intends to keep playing basketball, which I'm assuming would mean coming into the AFLW off no preseason each year.

And as an aside, very, very happy on the two-year deal for Utri. One of my absolute favourite players at the club.
I reckon she is one of the most natural footballers in the comp. The way she reads the play, she is very smart in congestion and she brings other players into the game. She could easily become the best player in the comp and I would not take pick 1 for her. She has just won the B&F. She is also a rare player in that she can change the game with her skill and pace. Dogs will become easy beats in this competition, only player now who is top shelf is Blackburn.

What if they just flat out refuse to trade her?
Trade her to Carlton for Bri Davey instead.

My guess the AFL will pull some bullshit out of their backsides. However I'd hold on for a good deal, has to be a high 1st rounder you'd think

So what do Richmond actually have to offer in a trade? Not pick 1, not players, basically SFA. Club should advise both Conti and Richmond to go **** themselves, but thb I don't really give a sh1t. Tim Watson suggesting young AFLW fans have velcro numbers is so far off the mark - young AFLW fans should abandon AFLW full stop. Farce would be a generous description at this stage.

AFLW players have as much integrity as the majority of politicians in this country. I get they're trying to maximise their income opportunities, but the degree of movement of (allegedly) better players completely devalues any respect they may have earned for their achievements.

Anyway, this will be my last post on this topic, I really hope the whole thing ends up in a stinking heap of s**t, and takes the traitors with it.

All the best to anyone who is still delusional enough to think this competition is worth persevering with, but I now look forward to its demise.

Cheerio.

I reckon she is one of the most natural footballers in the comp. The way she reads the play, she is very smart in congestion and she brings other players into the game. She could easily become the best player in the comp and I would not take pick 1 for her. She has just won the B&F. She is also a rare player in that she can change the game with her skill and pace. Dogs will become easy beats in this competition, only player now who is top shelf is Blackburn.

I agree that she's terrific in congestion, but I've been very disappointed by her decision-making out in the open in games this year. Like I said, it's something I'm sure she can improve on, but when you look at the very first picks in the draft they're likely to be very talented, devoted young footballers who can come in and play straight away - think Prespakis, Purcell, Morrison.

It's probably a moot point because I seriously doubt we'd get pick 1 for her anyway. And anything less than a really top-shelf draft pick I agree is a massive loss for us, made even worse because this is the second year in a row we lose our B&F winner.

If you put together a team of players that have left the club over the past two years, they would match it with the best teams in either conference imo.
Emma Kearney
Aasta O'Connor
Jenna Bruton
Daria Bannister
Tiarna Ernst
Katie Brennan
Mon Conti
Selina Karlson
Belinda Smith

That group is a considerably top nine and combined with role players, would make a pretty strong team imo.
Richmond following the Norf approach, hopefully they follow the same result as well and miss finals. :Stern look.

I’ve seen the Fox story. Not unexpected but still makes a mockery of the AFLW. Let me guess, she needs “a fresh start”? The AFL is blatantly using the WB as a commodity in their egotistical and ill-thought our expansion. Crapping all over one of the clubs that has done the heavy lifting, not to mention invested heavily in the Women’s game from both a momentary and time aspect. Can’t help but wonder if a small club like ours is unable to contain some egos

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you put together a team of players that have left the club over the past two years, they would match it with the best teams in either conference imo.
Emma Kearney
Aasta O'Connor
Jenna Bruton
Daria Bannister
Tiarna Ernst
Katie Brennan
Mon Conti
Selina Karlson
Belinda Smith

That group is a considerably top nine and combined with role players, would make a pretty strong team imo.
Richmond following the Norf approach, hopefully they follow the same result as well and miss finals. :Stern look.
You forgot All Australian defender Meg McDonald to Geelong the Liam Jones of AFLW, even the ones we
get rid of become superstars. The mid/fwd at Collingwood who played with us the first year is also
pretty damn good, forgot her name apologies to her. I think Brisbane are down around twelve players.

You forgot All Australian defender Meg McDonald to Geelong the Liam Jones of AFLW, even the ones we
get rid of become superstars. The mid/fwd at Collingwood who played with us the first year is also
pretty damn good, forgot her name apologies to her. I think Brisbane are down around twelve players.

Jaimee Lambert, also left us (one year) after winning a B&F :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back