Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No professional sport comp runs with all teams breaking even, certainly not the AFL, now or ever.

The reality is, if the weakest clubs financially were cut from the comp, and finances concentrated in the remaining 'profitable' clubs, then in a few years, some of those remaining clubs would be unprofitable. It's the nature of the industry, competition drives expenses upwards to the point the bottom clubs struggle.

The AFL needs those clubs despite their marginal financial state, and will support them indefinitely while it has the financial capacity to do so.

As for clubs, so for leagues. The AFL needs healthy lower and elite junior leagues. Most of them would struggle to survive in their current state without AFL support. Even the WAFL needs the money funneled to it from WC and Freo via the WAFC.

In this day and age the AFL has decided it needs a healthy high profile national women's comp, you may disagree, but it's their strategic direction, and their money.

I would also point out, these deals were negotiated by the AFLPA, probably the organisation with the greatest stake in a financially secure AFL. They will funnel money to it in proportion to their need for a high profile financially attractive women's comp, and their capacity to absorb the cost . The more money it brings in, the more they can pay within that framework, but it doesn't need to be profitable. I would bet they have budgeted for losses out as far as they have projected.

The AFL, and the AFLPA want the female players paid as much as possible, within the confines of the overall AFL budget. They want footy to be the sport of choice for young women, and seeing players getting full time careers in footy goes a long way to doing that.

Dana Hooker at $160 K (still don't believe this btw) is still something the Eagles can well afford as a marketing campaign.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The eagles may be able to afford it but that is not my point.

People should be paid in relation to the money they bring back into the coffers AND ability and as I’ve said there is no way any AFLW player is worth that at present.

Also the eagles may be able to but o doubt the dogs could so how does this equate to an even comp? The thing is becoming more and more a lopsided experiment every year. I’d be ropable if I heard the bulldogs were over paying AFLW players when we can’t even pay full coaching cap in the mens

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
The eagles may be able to afford it but that is not my point.

People should be paid in relation to the money they bring back into the coffers AND ability and as I’ve said there is no way any AFLW player is worth that at present.

Also the eagles may be able to but o doubt the dogs could so how does this equate to an even comp? The thing is becoming more and more a lopsided experiment every year. I’d be ropable if I heard the bulldogs were over paying AFLW players when we can’t even pay full coaching cap in the mens
Its marketing, organisations regularly pay large sums for marketing, huge sums, obscene sums. The balance of $160K for marketing is cheap as chips given the bang for the buck the AFLW is giving.

Besides, huge numbers of people in any large organisation are not directly involved in generating profit. You think the AFLW players are the only people at an AFL club not generating profit?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Its marketing, organisations regularly pay large sums for marketing, huge sums, obscene sums. The balance of $160K for marketing is cheap as chips given the bang for the buck the AFLW is giving.

Besides, huge numbers of people in any large organisation are not directly involved in generating profit. You think the AFLW players are the only people at an AFL club not generating profit?

No but they are being paid accordingly and don’t have access to other streams of revenue.

Bang for the buck AFLW is giving? Have you seen the actual numbers? Apart from the Gf crowds and viewing numbers are already down.

You think a young female bulldog footballer is buying boots to copy Bont or an AFLW player that will most likely be gone next year?

But that’s a seperate issue all i think is paying any AFLW footballer over 30k is a joke and I stand by that. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen that’s just my thoughts

Draft Picks: 6, 24 (compensation), 30, 47, 62, 77

I can see us getting a third rounder for Birch

Grant is up for Father-Daughter so that should be pick 62 while Sophie Molan should be pick 77

Richmond given priority pick 1 so can they can secure Conti...
... and buy off the fractious WB fans with first pick in the draft.

Kills two birds with one stone. But it still sucks.

WolfgangV

Debutant
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Blacks, Darebin Falcons
Richmond given priority pick 1 so they can secure Conti. AFL making sure they will be an immediate powerhouse whilst the dogs have been given pathetic compensation for losing 4 players, including their captain. What a farce.

Gee, I hope it doesn't happen but I can see the potential for something horrible. What if Richmond decide to offer you guys #88 (their lowest pick) for Conti, and say take it or leave it? If you leave it she goes into the draft and they take her with the #1 pick.

As has been said, the AFL's hands are all over this, so you would hope they've made an agreement with Richmond to play fair.........

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gee, I hope it doesn't happen but I can see the potential for something horrible. What if Richmond decide to offer you guys #88 (their lowest pick) for Conti, and say take it or leave it? If you leave it she goes into the draft and they take her with the #1 pick.

As has been said, the AFL's hands are all over this, so you would hope they've made an agreement with Richmond to play fair.........
So they use pick 1 on her regardless :drunk:

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

The afl designed the draft order to provide the wb with some kinda compo , there’s no way on earth that would happen, if I joined the dots correctly , conti early move was road bLocked last week to ensure she wasnt one of 4 to go free of charge to expansion teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The afl designed the draft order to provide the wb with some kinda compo , there’s no way on earth that would happen, if I joined the dots correctly , conti early move was road bLocked last week to ensure she wasnt one of 4 to go free of charge to expansion teams
No, the draft was designed like that so that to ensure Conti ends up at Richmond (regardless of whether or not the dogs are compensated). The only way the AFL could've roadblocked Conti moving via the uncontracted expansion signings if they knew (in advanced) that at least 4 other players were all going to move to one of the four expansion teams. If Conti moved via uncontracted expansion signings, her worth would've be taken into account for the compensation pick anyway. When you look at how at how pathetic the compensation the dogs have received thus far for the loss of players both this year and last year, it's pretty clear they don't care if they're compensated (adequately) or not.

There appears little for them to gain from that other than to piss us off more

Not at all.

Richmond is going to 'spend' pick 1 on Conti either way.

So we present the bulldogs with a choice.

Option a) You give us a good pick back, and we'll make it a trade, so you'll get pick 1
Option b) We take her in the draft and you get nothing.

So the Bulldogs can either upgrade <negotiated pick> to pick 1 or get nothing...Either way they lose Conti.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Question: if Richmond and West Coast are playing their Marquee players over $100,000 each, are we able to do the same if we wanted?
Of course we could. But we don’t have that cash. They are 2 super cashed up clubs. Fully prepared to take a financial hit in AFLW but it hardly makes a dent in their bottom line. Just for the cache that having a successful AFLW team means socially and in the football world. We with Melbourne pioneered this arm of the game, but as we’ve seen before, money is king.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not at all.

Richmond is going to 'spend' pick 1 on Conti either way.

So we present the bulldogs with a choice.

Option a) You give us a good pick back, and we'll make it a trade, so you'll get pick 1
Option b) We take her in the draft and you get nothing.

So the Bulldogs can either upgrade <negotiated pick> to pick 1 or get nothing...Either way they lose Conti.
The old "We will screw you either way" and "they will walk to the draft for nothing if you don't accept our crap deal" :rolleyes:

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
No, the draft was designed like that so that to ensure Conti ends up at Richmond (regardless of whether or not the dogs are compensated). The only way the AFL could've roadblocked Conti moving via the uncontracted expansion signings if they knew (in advanced) that at least 4 other players were all going to move to one of the four expansion teams. If Conti moved via uncontracted expansion signings, her worth would've be taken into account for the compensation pick anyway. When you look at how at how pathetic the compensation the dogs have received thus far for the loss of players both this year and last year, it's pretty clear they don't care if they're compensated (adequately) or not.
The league should have intro a fixed compo system something like when FA are lost at afl.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I just hope that Nathan Brown karma bus is still out there somewhere, with Conti in its sights. And yes, I know it's supposed bad form to wish injuries on someone, and no, IDGAF about BF convention in this case.

aaron

Debutant
Jun 23, 2008
Coburg, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With all our high profile players leaving as soon as they ccould. I would expect there was a reason and without knowing any better I would expect we need to up our game in the salary or player treatment departments if we're going to try to keep these ladies in the future.
I don't fault low loyalty when there is such a large discrepancy between the higher payed and lower paid players. Especially given the fact there is no history to speak of within these club so nothing to be "loyal" toward apart from a couple of years of on-field support (with very little in the way of off-field/off-season support).
Let the players move heavily early, encourage competition and really drive the whole AFLW sport to be more professional. I was watching Instagram posts of Ellie Blackburn working as a Safeway checkout girl last year. One of the best in the comp. They deserve better and a highly competitive competition breeds a better outcome for all these players.

Well done to all the players that have moved on for presumably better packages, now up your game doggies management. Do better with your current players!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back