Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Could this season go a similar way as last year when we won the first two and lost the next 5?
Well they're playing West Coast next week, who got spanked in both games they played. On current form, will probably only beat the expansion teams (and even those games aren't a given atm), and would be lucky to beat anyone else. Hope I'm wrong though. Team still has a lot of young/inexperienced players, so hopefully it all clicks at some point before the end of the season. Last quarter seemed positive for a bit there.

Brennan useless, Conti squib, and Frederick over-celebrates after kicking team’s only goal, then beaten pointless when there’s a contest. I suppose you’d want to celebrate your first kick in 3 games...

It seems that every highlight I see of the AFLW involves a former dog player, Lambert, Kearney, Bruton, Conti, etc, etc.

The positive is that we probably have the best young list in the competition that we just need to get some games into and with the competition expansion now settled I don't see our list changing too much over the next few years.

The other big positive is that Blackburn and Lamb only 25 and have years ahead of them, while the likes of Kearney, Phillips, etc, are 30+.

I am a supporter of both the womens football and our women's team but struggling to get into this year given it is so short our young players will not have the time to develop after propping up expansion clubs.

Year should run from October to March with the vast majority of games at night to help with conditions

This year will be a bust but hopefully we and the league will progress

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am a supporter of both the womens football and our women's team but struggling to get into this year given it is so short our young players will not have the time to develop after propping up expansion clubs.

Our young players will certainly develop in 2020 and beyond, lots of people forget about the VFLW. One of the big reasons that the quality of women's football has risen over the past two years is due to the VFLW/SANFLW/WAFLW/TSLW. Clubs have been putting more and more resources into the state leagues of late and now almost all teams have full state affiliates and we are no exception.

Our list has at least 8 AFLW rounds and 14 VFLW rounds, now of course during the VFLW season the team will change quite a bit week to week but these games are invaluable to the younger players on our list. Look at all the amazing young talent that came into AFLW this year, almost all of them had BIG VFLW seasons in 2019.

Now obviously ideally the AFLW should be a full season and run concurrently with the VFLW to allow a full reserves team but this is at least 3 years off from happening and likely not before 2025 at the earliest.

I get how it's tough to get into such a short season but DON'T worry development our players will certainly be getting experience and developing along nicely.

With expansion now pretty much complete our list will not change too much over the coming years and we have great platform to build on and our home ground is about to go through a major redevelopment with AFLW at the forefront. Exciting times ahead.

Now obviously ideally the AFLW should be a full season and run concurrently with the VFLW to allow a full reserves team but this is at least 3 years off from happening and likely not before 2025 at the earliest.
The issue is if the AFLW is run concurrently with the VFLW and that remains during the AFL season it will not get the oxygen it will need to grow in the media.

I agree that the AFLW and VFLW need to run concurrently, just not during the AFL season. Most grounds, including WO have lighting to allow for the games to be played out night during the hotter months.

As far as player development goes, we do appear to have a strong setup but to get the full benefit the competition needs to grow stronger with its own identity too

It seems that every highlight I see of the AFLW involves a former dog player, Lambert, Kearney, Bruton, Conti, etc, etc.

The positive is that we probably have the best young list in the competition that we just need to get some games into and with the competition expansion now settled I don't see our list changing too much over the next few years.

The other big positive is that Blackburn and Lamb only 25 and have years ahead of them, while the likes of Kearney, Phillips, etc, are 30+.
Agreed - this year will not be our year but we will be very good going forward.
We took a lot of young players in the last draft who will take some time to develop.
McCArthy has been a huge find and Izzy could be the best defender in the comp before the year is out.

Agreed - this year will not be our year but we will be very good going forward.
We took a lot of young players in the last draft who will take some time to develop.
McCArthy has been a huge find and Izzy could be the best defender in the comp before the year is out.
Gabby Newton played really well on the weekend I thought. And Lagioia and Georgostathis look the goods too.

Gabby Newton played really well on the weekend I thought. And Lagioia and Georgostathis look the goods too.
So did we get it right choosing Newton over McEvoy? The latter has been very impressive so far.
Also what's happened to pick#5 (our second pick) Morris-Dalton? How is she coming along?

So did we get it right choosing Newton over McEvoy? The latter has been very impressive so far.
Also what's happened to pick#5 (our second pick) Morris-Dalton? How is she coming along?
Still too early to tell I reckon. Patrikios also looks great, and makes a solid (Victorian) top three from that draft. Really encouraging to see Newton take some strong marks last game though, that's a real point of difference in the women's game.

I was really excited we drafted NMD, I watched her a bit in her underage year (2018) when I was scouting for Collingwood and she was one of my favourites. Hard to say why she's not getting a game yet, but my uninformed guess would be fitness. She's certainly very talented.

I think with the way that they play and both being that slightly smaller stockier build, Patrikios and McEvoy were going to be the more instant impact of the top 3 but I agree with Captain Murphy- Gabby showed some great signs on the weekend with some real hardness and cleanness that stood out in what was a pretty high intensity game. I think she will be a great player.

Early days, but McCarthy, Newton, Toogood and Huntington have started the season well. So I imagine Bombres, Hawks, Swans and Port are lining up to pillage us... again.

Early days, but McCarthy, Newton, Toogood and Huntington have started the season well. So I imagine Bombres, Hawks, Swans and Port are lining up to pillage us... again.

Won't happen, they are certainly not adding any teams in 2021 and most likely not before 2023. Contracts are now able to be signed for two years and that is likely to increase during the next two drafts. Loyalty will become more and more relevant over the next few seasons. We might lose one or two over the next few years and that's to be expected like with any AFL club but it certainly won't be like what happened in 2018/19 to us.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Blackburn, Lamb, Huntington, Toogood, Grant won't be leaving and I'd say the same for McCarthy and Newton.

McCarthy and Toogood for me have been the two this year that have taken their game to the elite level. Toogood has become one of the best key forwards in the game (and is accurate) and McCarthy is averaging over 100 ranking points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't happen, they are certainly not adding any teams in 2021 and most likely not before 2023. Contracts are now able to be signed for two years and that is likely to increase during the next two drafts. Loyalty will become more and more relevant over the next few seasons. We might lose one or two over the next few years and that's to be expected like with any AFL club but it certainly won't be like what happened in 2018/19 to us.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Blackburn, Lamb, Huntington, Toogood, Grant won't be leaving and I'd say the same for McCarthy and Newton.

McCarthy and Toogood for me have been the two this year that have taken their game to the elite level. Toogood has become one of the best key forwards in the game (and is accurate) and McCarthy is averaging over 100 ranking points.
McCarthy is a beast, fast becoming one of my fav AFLW players. And her accent... :hearteyes:

Lauren Spark does not get the credit she so readily has earned and thoroughly deserves. There were moments of Elanor Browns game that were vastly improved. Her attack on the player and ball are so far advanced from where she began. Toogood, McCarthy, Huntington have shown they have taken their game to the next level. Hannah Scott, Blackburn and Lamb are senior players infected with the spirit of youth and inspired by the likes of Lagioia, Newton and my personal new favourite Georgostathis

O.K. a bit of mayo. We did lose after all but it was a vast improvement compared to the Melb. game and there is something to genuinely be excited about. I am happy this is a development year, it is for the whole AFLW and The Bulldogs will ultimately be the winners

Lauren Spark does not get the credit she so readily has earned and thoroughly deserves. There were moments of Elanor Browns game that were vastly improved. Her attack on the player and ball are so far advanced from where she began. Toogood, McCarthy, Huntington have shown they have taken their game to the next level. Hannah Scott, Blackburn and Lamb are senior players infected with the spirit of youth and inspired by the likes of Lagioia, Newton and my personal new favourite Georgostathis

O.K. a bit of mayo. We did lose after all but it was a vast improvement compared to the Melb. game and there is something to genuinely be excited about. I am happy this is a development year, it is for the whole AFLW and The Bulldogs will ultimately be the winners
I thought McLeod showed more on the weekend then in previous seasons too. Just getting involved a bit more.
I think the standard of the comp has gone up another level - despite the concerns that 4 new teams would have the opposite effect.
Agreed on Spark - she an Izzy give us a solid tall pair down back.

who are our best 5 players in aflw?
Hard to say but I would go with Blackburn, Lamb, Lochland, and based on this season Toogood, Huntington and McArthy.
I know that's six but couldn't separate them.

I'm sure there better judges here than me however.

I've only watched parts of matches this year but I'd mostly agree with the above.

Top echelon - Blackburn, Lamb, Toogood
Not far off - McCarthy, Lochland
Then - Huntington (on the way up) and Spark

Looking forward to seeing how the newcomers develop - Newton, Georgiostathis, Lagioia, Grant and Morris-Dalton. It should be an era-shaping draft for us ... if we don't get pillaged again.

My favourite players used to be Lamb and Conti, but now I love the way McCarthy goes about it.

Still too early to tell I reckon. Patrikios also looks great, and makes a solid (Victorian) top three from that draft. Really encouraging to see Newton take some strong marks last game though, that's a real point of difference in the women's game.

I was really excited we drafted NMD, I watched her a bit in her underage year (2018) when I was scouting for Collingwood and she was one of my favourites. Hard to say why she's not getting a game yet, but my uninformed guess would be fitness. She's certainly very talented.
Hey Captain Murphy - do you still follow the u18 comp?
Just wondering what the group coming in next year looks like. Particularly at the top end.

Just wondering what the group coming in next year looks like. Particularly at the top end.
Nah not really. Just did it for a few months start of 2018 before other commitments took over. As the seasons go on though the players have had longer and longer in the system (not sure yet if we're at the point where they've played all the way through from under 12s) which generally means each draft gets successively better. Beyond that I can't say though.

So it turns out I'm still getting scouting reports sent to me, I could read over them and give my thoughts if you or anyone else was interested?

So it turns out I'm still getting scouting reports sent to me, I could read over them and give my thoughts if you or anyone else was interested?
Yeah definitely - Drafting and list management is what bought me to big footy in the first place and there is nothing to found for the girls on here at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back