Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

As I feared, last week's loss has really affected the team's confidence, and what little that was left was completely killed by quarter time.

My God, the umpiring. Chiocci tackled perfectly and just drops the ball to the ground. Then we push her aside and are penalised for a sling tackle.

Sadly, pretty comprehensively done over today. Some positives from the third quarter and parts of the fourth that I hope we can take into next week.
Go dogs!

We're a long, long way off the pace. Collingwood were first to the ball all the time, always finding space, cleaner handling, marking better, smarter team play and better kicking.

Hard to find many positives really, apart from the development of young players for future years.
Huntington was a positive. Maybe McLeod.

Hard to find many positives really, apart from the development of young players for future years.
Huntington was a positive. Maybe McLeod.

Hunt another positive, has improved greatly this season playing on the wing.

We just don't have enough quality players, 12 players got 6 or less touches today.

Blackburn, Huntington, McCarthy, Lamb, Spark, Newton and Lochland are good players at this level. Hunt, McLeod and Scott are at ALFW level, beyond that we get very, very, very thin.

Hunt another positive, has improved greatly this season playing on the wing.

We just don't have enough quality players, 12 players got 6 or less touches today.

Blackburn, Huntington, McCarthy, Lamb, Spark, Newton and Lochland are good players at this level. Hunt, McLeod and Scott are at AFLW level, beyond that we get very, very, very thin.

Yep, depth has been a huge issue this year it's actually surprising that people tipped us to finish higher when you look at our list and as you say we have around 10 players at AFLW level and above as well as a lot of YOUTH which is a positive going forward as we are getting games into them but we do need to recruit some 10-20 game players in the offseason just to balance the team out. I actually think we are playing some of our best players out of position to fill gaps.

As for today we were comprehensively beaten today but played really well in patches with Hunt playing her best game and McLeod is becoming something special. Blackburn, Lamb, Huntington were there usual best and Newton is going to be one of the best players in the league.

Worryingly Scott was very quiet and Berry has had a few down weeks now.

Issy Grant is gradually increasing her training loads and hopefully she might be able to play at least one game. We play GWS at the Whitten Oval on Friday 27th March just five days short of the 30th anniversary of Chris Grant's first AFL game

As requested here are the Champion Data Ranking Points/Supercoach scores for the game...

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 3.45.19 pm.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week's team - we are unleashing Nell Morris-Dalton!!!

B: Ash Guest, Lauren Spark
HB: Eleanor Brown, Izzy Huntington, Naomi Ferres
C: Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Brooke Lochland
HF: Gabby Newton, Kim Rennie, Kirsten McLeod
F: Nell Morris-Dalton, Gemma Lagioia
R: Celine Moody, Ellie Blackburn, Aisling McCarthy
Int: Dee Berry, Nicole Callinan, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Britney Gutknecht, Hannah Munyard, Dani Marshall, Katy Herron.

This week's team - we are unleashing Nell Morris-Dalton!!!

B: Ash Guest, Lauren Spark
HB: Eleanor Brown, Izzy Huntington, Naomi Ferres
C: Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Brooke Lochland
HF: Gabby Newton, Kim Rennie, Kirsten McLeod
F:
Nell Morris-Dalton, Gemma Lagioia
R: Celine Moody, Ellie Blackburn, Aisling McCarthy
Int: Dee Berry, Nicole Callinan, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Britney Gutknecht, Hannah Munyard, Dani Marshall, Katy Herron.
Can't wait to see how she goes. I have a feeling it's because our season's over though. Still, it shows we've got faith in her for the future if we think it's worth giving her some exposure.

Everyone’s season might be over soon. With the GP cancelled, AFLW and AFL are the next big events - given the calls from health professionals, wouldn’t be surprised to see both cancelled/suspended.

Everyone’s season might be over soon. With the GP cancelled, AFLW and AFL are the next big events - given the calls from health professionals, wouldn’t be surprised to see both cancelled/suspended.

What's happening with round six of the NAB AFL Women's Competition?
- The Geelong-North Melbourne clash will go ahead as planned on Friday night with fans permitted to attend
- Matches on Saturday and Sunday will go ahead, but NO SUPPORTERS will be permitted to attend

I have watched lot of AFLW this year, but watched Richmond for the 1st time today.

They are the worst team by a long way. Their skill level is appalling. It's as if they picked all these so called stars and thought everything else would fall in to place.

Talking of so called stars, Sabrina Frederick-Traub is one of the most over rated players in the competition. She is slow, hardly takes a mark and can't compete around the ground.

And finally, I think Monique Conti may be regretting her decision to move to Richmond. There were a few occasions today where she tried to do too much, basically because she realised her teammates are hopeless. They missed their opportunity at this draft and it's going to take them a long time to recover from their mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back