Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All good Glaeken Oracle I don't think it's that heated either. I am in the optimistic section but totally fine with anyone feeling the opposite and I certainly don't want to come across as trying to force people into supporting. I am just personally very passionate and very excited to see new side of Australia football grow.

I totally agree that we lost two generational players in Kearney and Conti but Brennan never really lived up to the expectation and Lambert only became an elite player in the past two seasons and in return we got a gem in Huntington.

Thank you, I also am fine with your point of view. I just don't agree with it. :) The AFLW list also (and I note for various reasons) lost Birch to Dees, then Ernst, Bruton and O'Connor to expansion clubs. That's 6 premiership players plus Brennan.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thank you, I also am fine with your point of view. I just don't agree with it. :) The AFLW list also (and I note for various reasons) lost Birch to Dees, then Ernst, Bruton and O'Connor to expansion clubs. That's 6 premiership players plus Brennan.

Oh yep forgot about those (sorry busy day), so from our Premiership team the following have gone...

Birch: Traded (Cited differences with the club) - Got Ash Guest, Gemma Lagioia (Pick 8)
Bruton: Expansion Signing
Callinan: Retired
Conti: Traded - Got Gabby Newton (Pick 1)
Ernst: Expansion Signing (would've stayed if not for a new job at QLD hospital)
O'Connor: Expansion Signing
Utri: Currently Pursuing Hockey Career
Wildes: Retired

Looking at the above you 100% correct we have been hit harder than any other club especially compared to the other premiership club Adelaide who are very fortunate that there is no other club in SA. Call me optimistic (which you already have ;)) I don't think we will be seeing this level of exodus again.

The AFLW is more unfair than AFL, and that is saying something.

The two clubs who had the courage to develop AFLW, gets punted from the opening round for Collingwood and Carlton, with Eddie talking up his imaginary rivalry with Carlton. When was the last time Collingwood and Carlton actually played off in a final series, and who under the age of 50 remembers any of their grand finals?

Then Norf’s aggressive poaching, the turncoats in Brennan and Conti going to Tiges, although karma got them last year. Now McCarthy, it would seem we have to throw a lot more money around to hang on to our players who are just not loyal. We went from pioneers to pillaged in a couple of years.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Welcome to the club Katie Lynch.

Hannah Munyard departs along with picks 19 and 25 in return for Lynch and Pick 11 (6 in VIC).

We now hold picks 2, 6 and 10 in the Victorian draft.

Lynch has played 7 games for Collingwood's AFLW team between 2019-2020 and kicked 1 goal, while also playing 14 games for Collingwood's VFLW teams kicking 5 goals.

Her efficiency is excellent at just under 80% and will be a nice addition to our midfield and forward line.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Welcome to the club Katie Lynch.

Hannah Munyard departs along with picks 19 and 25 in return for Lynch and Pick 11 (6 in VIC).

We now hold picks 2, 6 and 10 in the Victorian draft.

Lynch has played 7 games for Collingwood's AFLW team between 2019-2020 and kicked 1 goal, while also playing 14 games for Collingwood's VFLW teams kicking 5 goals.

Her efficiency is excellent at just under 80% and will be a nice addition to our midfield and forward line.
Not sure if there was another trade that affected the order - but I've got us with picks 2, 5 and 9 in the Melbourne pool.
Assuming Geelong still have their own pool?

It's a nice hand either way.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If anyone is interested in the girls we might be looking at in the coming draft - Draft Central has some good articles about those who are highly rated.

Of the metro pool it seems they have 3 standouts.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...tyanna-smith-dandenong-stingrays-vic-country/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ch-ellie-mckenzie-northern-knights-vic-metro/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...essica-fitzgerald-northern-knights-vic-metro/

All sound like blue chip midfield prospects which we definitely need.
The rest of the profiles are a bit of a mixed bag of positions.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ch-isabelle-pritchard-western-jets-vic-metro/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...-sarah-hartwig-sandringham-dragons-vic-metro/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...-watch-renee-saulitis-gwv-rebels-vic-country/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...to-watch-maggie-caris-gwv-rebels-vic-country/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...tch-alyssa-bannan-northern-knights-vic-metro/

I don't know what the deal is with the draft pools and GWV girls but I have included them here. All other pools I have left out.
Our coaches daughter is a highly rated prospect for next year also, but seems set to go to St.Kilda as a father daughter.

(Edit) Here is Burke and the Geelong Falcon girls that got a write up - as it remains to be seen which pool they will nominate.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ch-alice-burke-sandringham-dragons-vic-metro/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...h-laura-gardiner-geelong-falcons-vic-country/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ch-darcy-moloney-geelong-falcons-vic-country/

Last edited:

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If anyone is interested in the girls we might be looking at in the coming draft - Draft Central has some good articles about those who are highly rated.

Of the metro pool it seems they have 3 standouts.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...tyanna-smith-dandenong-stingrays-vic-country/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ch-ellie-mckenzie-northern-knights-vic-metro/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...essica-fitzgerald-northern-knights-vic-metro/

All sound like blue chip midfield prospects which we definitely need.
The rest of the profiles are a bit of a mixed bag of positions.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...ch-isabelle-pritchard-western-jets-vic-metro/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...-sarah-hartwig-sandringham-dragons-vic-metro/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...-watch-renee-saulitis-gwv-rebels-vic-country/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...to-watch-maggie-caris-gwv-rebels-vic-country/
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...tch-alyssa-bannan-northern-knights-vic-metro/

I don't know what the deal is with the draft pools and GWV girls but I have included them here. All other pools I have left out.
Our coaches daughter is a highly rated prospect for next year also, but seems set to go to St.Kilda as a father daughter.

There were only three rounds of the NAB League Girls completed when lockdown hit but it gave as small sample size, but from the vision I've seen the following three players were standouts...

Tyanna Smith was her outstanding in her three NAB League games this year averaging 25 touches, 7 clearances, 6 tackles and 2 score assists along with 262 ranking points.

Champion Data ranked Laura Gardiner as the best from the first three round with her averaging an incredible 35 touches, 12 tackles. 4 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 264 ranking points.

Alyssa Bannan kicked the most goals from the three rounds averaging 3 per game and looks to be a promising key position forward.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There were only three rounds of the NAB League Girls completed when lockdown hit but it gave as small sample size, but from the vision I've seen the following three players were standouts...

Tyanna Smith was her outstanding in her three NAB League games this year averaging 25 touches, 7 clearances, 6 tackles and 2 score assists along with 262 ranking points.

Champion Data ranked Laura Gardiner as the best from the first three round with her averaging an incredible 35 touches, 12 tackles. 4 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 264 ranking points.

Alyssa Bannan kicked the most goals from the three rounds averaging 3 per game and looks to be a promising key position forward.
Thanks for the insight. I left Gardiner out as she is a Geelong Falcons girl - but I have added her now as she still has to nominate a pool.

From the write ups Smith is who I'm hoping for with 2. We could really use a bit of speed and class in the midfield.
Interested to hear what other people think we need to add most to the list. Another lead up target to sit beside Toogood would be handy also.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We announced our 2021 re-signings today and I believe we set an AFLW record with the most players re-signed with 27. We only lost 4 from our 2020 list with McCarthy and Munyard to trades while Callinan and Utri have retired.

I'll try and confirm which players have signed two year contracts but our 2021 list will be the following along with our three draft picks...

Angelica Gogos
Ashleigh Guest
Bailey Hunt
Bonnie Toogood
Britney Gutknecht
Brooke Lochland
Celine Moody
Dani Marshall
Deanna Berry
Eleanor Brown
Elisabeth Georgostathis
Ellie Blackburn
Ellyse Gamble
Gabby Newton
Gemma Lagioia
Hannah Scott
Isabel Huntington
Isabella Grant
Katie Lynch
Katy Herron
Kim Rennie
Kirsten McLeod
Kirsty Lamb
Lauren Spark
Naomi Ferres
Nell Morris-Dalton

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
We announced our 2021 re-signings today and I believe we set an AFLW record with the most players re-signed with 27. We only 4 from our 2020 list with McCarthy and Munyard to trades while Callinan and Utri have retired.

I'll try and confirm which players have signed two year contracts but our 2021 list will be the following along with our three draft picks...

Angelica Gogos
Ashleigh Guest
Bailey Hunt
Bonnie Toogood
Britney Gutknecht
Brooke Lochland
Celine Moody
Dani Marshall
Deanna Berry
Eleanor Brown
Elisabeth Georgostathis
Ellie Blackburn
Ellyse Gamble
Gabby Newton
Gemma Lagioia
Hannah Scott
Isabel Huntington
Isabella Grant
Katie Lynch
Katy Herron
Kim Rennie
Kirsten McLeod
Kirsty Lamb
Lauren Spark
Naomi Ferres
Nell Morris-Dalton

Worth noting as well, is that Dani Marshall was upgraded from the Rookie List to the Primary List. :thumbsu:

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We announced our 2021 re-signings today and I believe we set an AFLW record with the most players re-signed with 27. We only lost 4 from our 2020 list with McCarthy and Munyard to trades while Callinan and Utri have retired.

Angelica Gogos
Ashleigh Guest
Bailey Hunt
Bonnie Toogood
Britney Gutknecht
Brooke Lochland
Celine Moody
Dani Marshall
Deanna Berry
Eleanor Brown
Elisabeth Georgostathis
Ellie Blackburn
Ellyse Gamble
Gabby Newton
Gemma Lagioia
Hannah Scott
Isabel Huntington
Isabella Grant
Katie Lynch
Katy Herron
Kim Rennie
Kirsten McLeod
Kirsty Lamb
Lauren Spark
Naomi Ferres
Nell Morris-Dalton

How do they expect people to support a list with no diversity? Where are the first names beginning with O-Z? Sad.

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for the insight. I left Gardiner out as she is a Geelong Falcons girl - but I have added her now as she still has to nominate a pool.

From the write ups Smith is who I'm hoping for with 2. We could really use a bit of speed and class in the midfield.
Interested to hear what other people think we need to add most to the list. Another lead up target to sit beside Toogood would be handy also.

So, of the 26 players on the list, this a very rough best 22 I put together purely for the purposes of seeing what the list needs. I've bolded any or all players that have either played in the premiership or finished top 10 in the b&f during their time at the club (fyi - it was difficult knowing where to place players not bolded mainly due to how hard it is to find stats, so I may be wrong on some of those players).

B: Angelica Gogos, Lauren Spark, Naomi Ferres
HB: Eleanor Brown, Hannah Scott, Isabel Huntington
C: Ellie Blackburn
HF: Katie Lynch, Bonnie Toogood, Deanna Berry
F: Dani Marshall, Kirsten McLeod, Brooke Lochland
Foll: Kim Rennie, Kirsty Lamb, Gabby Newton
Int: Bailey Hunt, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Ashleigh Guest, Ellyse Gamble, Gemma Lagioia
Emg: Celine Moody, Britney Gutknecht, Isabella Grant, Katy Herron, Nell Morris-Dalton

At a glance, the team looks better then one would think for a team that has been raided pretty badly over the last few years, but it seems another marking forward and a bit more midfield depth is what's required.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So, of the 26 players on the list, this a very rough best 22 I put together purely for the purposes of seeing what the list needs. I've bolded any or all players that have either played in the premiership or finished top 10 in the b&f during their time at the club (fyi - it was difficult knowing where to place players not bolded mainly due to how hard it is to find stats, so I may be wrong on some of those players).

B: Angelica Gogos, Lauren Spark, Naomi Ferres
HB: Eleanor Brown, Hannah Scott, Isabel Huntington
C: Ellie Blackburn
HF: Katie Lynch, Bonnie Toogood, Deanna Berry
F: Dani Marshall, Kirsten McLeod, Brooke Lochland
Foll: Kim Rennie, Kirsty Lamb, Gabby Newton
Int: Bailey Hunt, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Ashleigh Guest, Ellyse Gamble, Gemma Lagioia
Emg: Celine Moody, Britney Gutknecht, Isabella Grant, Katy Herron, Nell Morris-Dalton

At a glance, the team looks better then one would think for a team that has been raided pretty badly over the last few years, but it seems another marking forward and a bit more midfield depth is what's required.
Good job. I had us down for pretty much the same needs based on the few games I watched this year.
I feel like we often lacked that bailout kick - so a high production CHF would be great. And another quality mid is definitely needed with McCarthy gone.

It is probably worth noting that we have a lot of first and second year players who could come on quite quickly.
Izzy Grant and Nell Morris-Dalton could both potentially step into that second forward role.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good job. I had us down for pretty much the same needs based on the few games I watched this year.
I feel like we often lacked that bailout kick - so a high production CHF would be great. And another quality mid is definitely needed with McCarthy gone.

It is probably worth noting that we have a lot of first and second year players who could come on quite quickly.
Izzy Grant and Nell Morris-Dalton could both potentially step into that second forward role.

Having gone so young last year there will be significant improvement in 2021 and 2022. Another 3 top youngsters this year and 2 in next years top 17-20 and the list will be carrying a heap of talent and depth. It just needs enough of the youngsters to step up to spread the load of the Blackburn and Huntington level players to be in a position to be a long term contender.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's not a lot of info around on womens draft prospects at the moment, but someone did post this on the main board which is interesting.

Peter Williams from Draft Central was on the WARF podcast a couple of weeks ago (episode 31 if you're interested in listening) talking about the trade period and they did speculate a little bit about the earliest part of the VIC draft. Ellie McKenzie, a midfielder from the Northern Knights, seems the most likely to go first (Sarah Black from womens.afl has been echoing that sentiment). Then, the Dogs may go with Alyssa Bannan, an athletic tall forward, also from the Knights. If those two are the first two taken, then Melbourne will most likely take Tyanna Smith, a speedy midfielder from the Dandenong Stingrays.
After that, it's anybody's guess.

Would be happy with either Smith or Bannan but I feel like we need Smith more.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The AFL website now has a hub set up ahead of the AFLW draft Tuesday week.
https://womens.afl/about/draft/prospects
Information is limited at best, but it does raise a few names that might feature early in the haven't been covered by Draft Central yet.
Draft Central is still the best place I have found for any detailed information on any these girls.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Less than a week to the AFLW draft and there is not much information around on the girls who will be drafted.
I don't follow the junior competition so have no idea myself, but I have pieced together some thoughts and information from Draft Central and some contributors on the main board to try to get an idea for how it might unfold.

The small consensus seems to be that Ellie McKenzie is firming for the number one pick to Richmond.

That puts us in an interesting position at pick 2 with Tyanna Smith looking like the popular choice as the second best midfielder in the draft, but also Alyssa Bannan being considered worthy of pick 2 as a key forward.

The big question is whether we are interested in adding a key forward to the team or whether we want to focus on bolstering the midfield with our early picks. Bonnie Toogood really made a mark as a key forward last season and we have Izzy Grant and Morris-Dalton who are both capable if a little undersized in that role. We have liked isolating Lochland as a forward in the past, although she is really a small. We have also recruited Katie Lynch who can play key forward, although has also played as a tall midfielder in the past. Not sure if I'm missing anyone else here.

If we did want to bolster our key forward stocks, Bannan looks like a fast, high production key forward with a consistent scoring ability who could impact from next year.

If we wanted to add to our midfield Tyanna Smith is a genuine blue chip prospect with pace and smarts and who I have seen likened to Ellie Blackburn and Giorgia Patrikios.

Beyond these 3 girls, midfielder Jess Fitzgerald is viewed by some as a top 5 talent, along with Laura Gardiner who is a Falcons girl who may end up at Geelong with their first pick. Isabelle Pritchard is a Western Jets girl who has only been playing football for a few years and has recently transitioned from being a key defender to a tall midfielder. I think based on her size, athleticism and upside she may come into contention early in the first round also.

The way things are shaping up we could be looking at either Fitzgerald or Pritchard with our pick 6 (vic pool) unless we look to fill a specific positional need.

Beyond this is anyone's guess, although my personal favourite for pick 10 is Renee Saulitis - a lively small forward with x factor and goal sense, a player I think we could use, especially with McLeod pushing up the ground more last season.

Not sure if anyone here has any thoughts or insights into the draft but I would love to hear them.

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not draft-related, but AFLW players in Victoria will be able to train in small groups up to 3 times a week, starting next week. Great news, considering players in other states have been able to train. Hopefully this is enough time for everyone to get in good shape, given the circumstances.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/10/01/afl-womens-draft-preview-melbourne-western-bulldogs/

Draft Central have posted a draft preview of every club. Here is what they said about the Dogs.

Western Bulldogs – Victorian Pool
Draft selections:
2 (2), 11 (6), 16 (10)
Off-season summary:
The Bulldogs have been gutted of some serious senior talent over the expansion years, so a quieter sign and trade period would have been a refreshing change for their fans. Still, Aisling McCarthy leaves a gap in midfield as she departs for West Coast, while Hannah Munyard has returned home to Adelaide, and Nicole Callinan is the sole retiree. 20-year-old key forward Katie Lynch was their only recruit, and may well help predict what the Dogs will do with their first pick in the draft. Having traded well to land three top-end selections, the Bulldogs’ rebuild is in decent shape.
A draft look:
Familiar themes could well arise from what the Bulldogs decide to do with picks two, 11, and 16 – the second, sixth, and 10th choices in the Victorian pool. After taking in a bunch of Vic Metro based talent last year, all familiar to coach Nathan Burke, the Bulldogs will likely again revert to the deep Northern Knights well of talent. While the recruit of Lynch fills a massive key position forward requirement, don’t be surprised if the Bulldogs opt for another in Alyssa Bannan with pick two. Otherwise, Olivia Barber could be the key forward they’re after with one of the two later selections.
Should they feel that area is covered, midfield support for Ellie Blackburn is another important area of improvement. Ellie McKenzie could then become the second Northern Knights captain to land at the kennel in as many years, joining Gabby Newton, while Dandenong’s Tyanna Smith is the other likely number one pick who could get a look-in. Both are damaging midfielders who should be ready to set the competition alight from Round 1. Keeping with the Knights’ theme, Jessica Fitzgerald would be a handy choice with either of the two remaining selections, a balanced midfielder who co-captained her side with McKenzie.

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For our first pick, Alyssa Bannan sounds like an awesome player, but Tyanna Smith or Ellie McKenzie fill the greater need in my opinion. Particularly with Conti gone, I think that Ellie Blackburn needs another Rolls Royce around her to share some of the midfield burden. The burst speed of Smith and McKenzie is much needed. I think we struggled to get separation at times last season. Opposition clubs knew that they just had to sit on Blackburn and they were halfway there. Imagine a player in the mould of Patrikios supporting Blackburn, tearing around the ground and breaking lines.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For our first pick, Alyssa Bannan sounds like an awesome player, but Tyanna Smith or Ellie McKenzie fill the greater need in my opinion. Particularly with Conti gone, I think that Ellie Blackburn needs another Rolls Royce around her to share some of the midfield burden. The burst speed of Smith and McKenzie is much needed. I think we struggled to get separation at times last season. Opposition clubs knew that they just had to sit on Blackburn and they were halfway there. Imagine a player in the mould of Patrikios supporting Blackburn, tearing around the ground and breaking lines.
I think I agree. Lamb is a bull and Blackburn is a star but outside of those two there is no third in our center square combo that really stands out.
At times last year McCarthy looked like our third best mid and now she is in WA.

I would be happy if our first two picks were best available mid and our third pick was more needs based.
If we could land Smith and Fitzgerald with our first two picks that would be a great result.

Back