Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Lauren Sparks going to struggle to get back in the team?
Probably, but VFLW starts next week, so that should help players not getting a game mount a case and add more competition for spots.

I'm not sure on the rules but at one point you could only have a certain amount (5?) of contracted players and everyone else on your list was a free agent. I don't know if that's still a thing.
I think before, only marquee players could be signed for multi-year deals, and everyone else can only sign for a year, so all non-marquee players were basically free agents (for the expansion teams) by the end of the season. I believe a couple of years ago they changed it now so that all senior list players can be signed for 2 years contracts.

Why did we trade Conti? Were we forced to? Real question. Never understood how we lost one of our best youngsters.
What happened was teams were only allowed to lose a maximum of four players from expansion club poaching. Bulldogs had four players poached before Conti decided to leave. The AFL then gave Richmond pick 1 priority pick, pushing the bulldogs pick 1 to pick 2, to ensure that even if a trade can't be reached, Richmond would be able to draft her with pick 1 in the draft. Basically the AFL railroaded the bulldogs into a lose-lose situation, where they would lose Conti no matter what happened (whereas before the handout, it was the other way round). Bulldogs had every intention of keeping her and she would've stayed (for at least one more year) had it not been for the AFL intervening.

We have to fully expect it, I just hope they don't allow it to happen on the scale they did when North entered. That set the club back years.

Between Hawks and Essendon, it should be expected that we lose some combination of decent players like Hartwig and Toogood, plus maybe some depth players. What shouldn't be happening is what we saw when Brennan, Bruton and Kearney (plus Conti in trade) all departed for the two expansion teams. Losing your best player and captain, plus one of your best up and comers, would be like if we lost Blackburn, Huntington and Fitzgerald.

Yeah, will probably lose a couple players, but shouldn't be any more mass exodus or anything like that. What happened before was the team lost it's best player in Kearney, and a couple of other players in the best 22 at the end of 2018, and that was enough to make the team uncompetitive enough for even more players to want to leave in the following years. Now that the team is winning games again, unless someone like Fitzgerald gets poached, the team should still be competitive if a few players get poached (given most of the other key players are players who had stuck around during tough times, and unlikely to leave). I don't think the AFLW will be expanding much anytime soon anyway (with covid and everything).

The most ridiculous thing is that for losing the reigning league best and fairest plus 3 other good players in 2018 all we recieved was a 3rd round compensation pick.
Then for losing our Captain and marquee player and another 3 players the following year we recieved a second.

I think before, only marquee players could be signed for multi-year deals, and everyone else can only sign for a year, so all non-marquee players were basically free agents (for the expansion teams) by the end of the season. I believe a couple of years ago they changed it now so that all senior list players can be signed for 2 years contracts.

All players from 2020 onwards could be signed to two year contracts, I believe most of our list is signed until the end of 2022.

Yeah, will probably lose a couple players, but shouldn't be any more mass exodus or anything like that. What happened before was the team lost it's best player in Kearney, and a couple of other players in the best 22 at the end of 2018, and that was enough to make the team uncompetitive enough for even more players to want to leave in the following years. Now that the team is winning games again, unless someone like Fitzgerald gets poached, the team should still be competitive if a few players get poached (given most of the other key players are players who had stuck around during tough times, and unlikely to leave). I don't think the AFLW will be expanding much anytime soon anyway (with covid and everything).

The current word from the AFL is that there will be no more expansion until 2023 at the absolute earliest. There are potentially 5 licenses up for grabs (Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Sydney, Tasmania). Talent depth will have increased significantly by then as most states now have state leagues and academies, along with the 14 AFLW teams. There is no question that we have been hit hardest by expansion and luckily we won't see anything like it again. We will likely lose only 1 or 2 players at most. The main reason being the talent depth increase and that there will be 14 clubs to poach from instead of 8.

The most ridiculous thing is that for losing the reigning league best and fairest plus 3 other good players in 2018 all we recieved was a 3rd round compensation pick.
Then for losing our Captain and marquee player and another 3 players the following year we received a second.

The Kearney compensation was ridiculous but at least for Conti the AFL gifted Richmond pick 1 to trade to us.

The current word from the AFL is that there will be no more expansion until 2023 at the absolute earliest. There are potentially 5 licenses up for grabs (Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Sydney, Tasmania). Talent depth will have increased significantly by then as most states now have state leagues and academies, along with the 14 AFLW teams. There is no question that we have been hit hardest by expansion and luckily we won't see anything like it again. We will likely lose only 1 or 2 players at most. The main reason being the talent depth increase and that there will be 14 clubs to poach from instead of 8.
Ha! Is this the way that the AFL is going to appease the Tasmanian government request for a stand alone AFL team?

In all seriousness - is your understanding that a Tasmanian license is provisional on a Tasmanian men's team? Or as it's own entity?

The Kearney compensation was ridiculous but at least for Conti the AFL gifted Richmond pick 1 to trade to us.

Imagine losing a Brownlow medallist for next to no compensation. AFL House would be razed to the ground. Or a Norm Smith medallist. But WB AFLW just cop it. Pretty pathetic really. I don't know what the alternatives were, but I can't believe the club expressed absolutely no public grievance.

(On a side note, I've heard it is inevitable that Nathan Burke will one day return to St Kilda AFLW in some capacity - hopefully he doesn't take any critical players with him.)

Imagine losing a Brownlow medallist for next to no compensation. AFL House would be razed to the ground. Or a Norm Smith medallist. But WB AFLW just cop it. Pretty pathetic really. I don't know what the alternatives were, but I can't believe the club expressed absolutely no public grievance.

(On a side note, I've heard it is inevitable that Nathan Burke will one day return to St Kilda AFLW in some capacity - hopefully he doesn't take any critical players with him.)
Wouldn't surprise me if it happens once Peta retires from Footy
Hope she wins a flag before she finishes up but not against us

All players from 2020 onwards could be signed to two year contracts, I believe most of our list is signed until the end of 2022.

Oh yeah, couldn't remember the exactly when it happened, but I do know it wasn't until recently all would players be able to be signed for two years.

And yeah, I think with how uncompetive most of the expansion teams have been that will be sure to wait until he talent pool can handle expansion. I also think NT is also another candidate for a women's team, given I believe a significant of Adelaide's list is from there (or at least it was at one point).

And yeah, the club did get compensated well for Conti, but that was only because that's the only way the AFL could guarantee Conti ends up at Richmond. Had she left via free agency it would've been a second rounder at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No GameDay thread so I'll post here.

This game feels like the last couple. We're getting smashed at clearances but our ball movement is a class above.

Brown is our most improved and a real asset down back now. Huntington a weapon up forward, the game seems slower when she has the ball, just like our #4 in the men's.

Really enjoying watching us this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back