Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

[TD valign="top"]
AFLW Bulldogs confirm 2022 coaching panel

The AFLW Bulldogs have confirmed their coaching panel for season 2022, welcoming three additions in Josh Bruce, Dylan Roberton and James Kennedy.

Roberton (forwards coach) will join the recently appointed Mel Hickey (defence) and returning Natalie Wood (midfield) as an assistant coach, while Kennedy will take the reins as ruck coach.

Bruce will act as a development coach alongside Kirby Bentley.

Kennedy joins the Club from the NAB League’s Eastern Ranges, where he spent time with both the men’s and women’s programs as ruck coach.

His football and basketball background saw him mentor three eventual AFLW draftees in Keeley Sherar (Carlton), El Chaston (Collingwood) and Georgia Campbell (Melbourne).

Roberton arrives at the Kennel after a 129-game playing career with both Fremantle and St Kilda.

He announced his retirement from the game earlier this year, following a two-month hiatus where he weighed up his post-football options.

Bruce is no stranger to VU Whitten Oval, having crossed over from St Kilda during the 2019 AFL Trade Period.

The 27-year-old has played 37 games in the red, white and blue since, slotting 48 goals from 20 games to finish this season as the Club’s leading goalkicker.

An ACL injury in round 21 against Essendon – which also happened to be his 150thcareer match - saw him sidelined for the finals series, and while completing his rehab he will now dedicate part of his time to coaching.

Bulldogs’ General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said the three appointments will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience.

“To have people of this calibre join our AFLW program for season 2022 is great, not only for our players but for our entire program,” Lee said.

“We’re thrilled to have Dylan join Mel and Nat as assistant coaches, James come on board as our ruck coach, and Josh join Kirby as a development coach.

“It’s been extremely pleasing to welcome our new additions to the Kennel, having officially started pre-season last week.

“Led by ‘Burkey’, we’re extremely confident in our coaching panel and believe the program will benefit greatly moving forward.”

The AFLW Bulldogs are currently training three times a week as they prepare for the 2022 NAB AFLW season to commence in January.
[/TD]

Dale Morris
Business Development Executive - Corporate Sales
Roberton as a Forward coach? Interesting.....

******* Brucey! How good is this bloke!?!?!

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

[TD valign="top"]
AFLW Bulldogs confirm 2022 coaching panel

The AFLW Bulldogs have confirmed their coaching panel for season 2022, welcoming three additions in Josh Bruce, Dylan Roberton and James Kennedy.

Roberton (forwards coach) will join the recently appointed Mel Hickey (defence) and returning Natalie Wood (midfield) as an assistant coach, while Kennedy will take the reins as ruck coach.

Bruce will act as a development coach alongside Kirby Bentley.

Kennedy joins the Club from the NAB League’s Eastern Ranges, where he spent time with both the men’s and women’s programs as ruck coach.

His football and basketball background saw him mentor three eventual AFLW draftees in Keeley Sherar (Carlton), El Chaston (Collingwood) and Georgia Campbell (Melbourne).

Roberton arrives at the Kennel after a 129-game playing career with both Fremantle and St Kilda.

He announced his retirement from the game earlier this year, following a two-month hiatus where he weighed up his post-football options.

Bruce is no stranger to VU Whitten Oval, having crossed over from St Kilda during the 2019 AFL Trade Period.

The 27-year-old has played 37 games in the red, white and blue since, slotting 48 goals from 20 games to finish this season as the Club’s leading goalkicker.

An ACL injury in round 21 against Essendon – which also happened to be his 150thcareer match - saw him sidelined for the finals series, and while completing his rehab he will now dedicate part of his time to coaching.

Bulldogs’ General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said the three appointments will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience.

“To have people of this calibre join our AFLW program for season 2022 is great, not only for our players but for our entire program,” Lee said.

“We’re thrilled to have Dylan join Mel and Nat as assistant coaches, James come on board as our ruck coach, and Josh join Kirby as a development coach.

“It’s been extremely pleasing to welcome our new additions to the Kennel, having officially started pre-season last week.

“Led by ‘Burkey’, we’re extremely confident in our coaching panel and believe the program will benefit greatly moving forward.”

The AFLW Bulldogs are currently training three times a week as they prepare for the 2022 NAB AFLW season to commence in January.
[/TD]

Dale Morris
Business Development Executive - Corporate Sales

What an excellent appointment in Josh Bruce. I'm sure that he'll bring a great deal to the role, plus I'm sure that it will help to focus him and keep his spirits up during his long rehab. Our club is run by some very savvy operators.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gabby Newton will miss the 2022 season due to dual shoulder reconstruction.

She had an excellent 2020 season with CD ranking her 3rd at the club and 25th in the competition but struggled with form this year with CD ranking her 14th at the club and 181st in the competition.

I believe her shoulders were strapped in just about every game she's played at AFLW level so let's hope this sorts it out once and for all and she can get back to her best. She has some serious talent and we need her back ASAP.

Alice Edmonds has been signed as her replacement. Alice played 6 games for Richmond in 2020 and was in fine form in the VFLW this year for Port Melbourne averaging 115 ranking points.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gabby Newton will miss the 2022 season due to dual shoulder reconstruction.

She had an excellent 2020 season with CD ranking her 3rd at the club and 25th in the competition but struggled with form this year with CD ranking her 14th at the club and 181st in the competition.

I believe her shoulders were strapped in just about every game she's played at AFLW level so let's hope this sorts it out once and for all and she can get back to her best. She has some serious talent and we need her back ASAP.

Alice Edmonds has been signed as her replacement. Alice played 6 games for Richmond in 2020 and was in fine form in the VFLW this year for Port Melbourne averaging 115 ranking points.
Very dissapointing for Gabby. I was really hoping for big things from her this year.

I spoke to Mel Hickey on Friday, she mentioned ex GWS player Elle Bennett’s is the big surprise and is killing it in the pre season training, big things are expected from her this coming season.

I spoke to Mel Hickey on Friday, she mentioned ex GWS player Elle Bennett’s is the big surprise and is killing it in the pre season training, big things are expected from her this coming season.

I liked the recruitment from the fact of some age and experience for our young side, but of course the other side of that coin is it's a damn shame she's 32. Hopefully a couple of good years left for her at least...

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
News from the week...

Kirby Bently has been named as our VFLW coach for 2022.

2022 AFLW fixture has been released (5 home games)...
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 8.34.00 pm.png

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we could get as many as 5-6 wins if switched on with that draw.

Yep must-wins against Geelong, Richmond, Gold Coast and West Coast. We play Melbourne and the Giants well so I'm hoping for a 4 win minimum and hoping for 6.

I don't think our list is quite up to premiership credentials just yet but I reckon we could win a final and we really should've made them last year. Just like with our men our ruck situation might be our downfall. Lot's of pressure on Moody this year but I think she's ready to be the #1 ruck.

Acwmr

Debutant
Jul 11, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good to hear, but who was she up against in the ruck? From the photos I've seen Edmonds did not play and we don't have another proper ruck on our list.

I believe she was rucking against Ellyse Gamble (180cm) who started off as a defender but has transitioned to the ruck over last couple of years. She rucked for our VFLW team this year.

Gamble is obviously not in the same league as other AFLW #1 rucks but from I what I've seen and heard Moody has been developing very nicely and we should expect a big improvement this year.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I believe she was rucking against Ellyse Gamble (180cm) who started off as a defender but has transitioned to the ruck over last couple of years. She rucked for our VFLW team this year.

Gamble is obviously not in the same league as other AFLW #1 rucks but from I what I've seen and heard Moody has been developing very nicely and we should expect a big improvement this year.

Moody was fantastic around the ground on Sat, not just ruckwork. She also used the ball well by foot. But slightly concerning for me was some of our field kicking. Blackburn is a level above, but Brown, who is one of my favourite players, and Grant at least once, kicked some howlers over 25-40m with little pressure, that completely missed open targets. On the plus side, the teamwork between Bonnie and Issy up forward and constant talking was great to see.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If you want to hear the scathing indictment Bourkey gave the AFL regarding its piss poor attitude as an organisation to improving AFLW, and the constrictions facing the women becoming professional footballers, listen to Tom Boyd’s latest podcast with him as a guest.

The AFL as a whole are a bunch of marketing suits trying to make out like they have women playing footy at the forefront of their minds but this podcast brings that thought back to earth. It’s a great listen and awesome to hear such brutal honesty around the space.

Last edited:

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Moody was fantastic around the ground on Sat, not just ruckwork. She also used the ball well by foot. But slightly concerning for me was some of our field kicking. Blackburn is a level above, but Brown, who is one of my favourite players, and Grant at least once, kicked some howlers over 25-40m with little pressure, that completely missed open targets. On the plus side, the teamwork between Bonnie and Issy up forward and constant talking was great to see.
I would love to hear a bit more about this game from anyone who was there.
Particularly interested in who was banking most time in the middle for both sides and how our new recruits went.
Also interested in whether Lochland, McLeod and Cranston were spending more time in the forward line or further up the ground.
Much appreciated.

Pre-Season Game
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne
Saturday 18 December, 1pm AEDT, VU Whitten Oval
Open to the public
Coverage via club social media channels every quarter

Back