Preview AFLW GRAND FINAL: Brisbane Lions v Adelaide Crows, Sat Apr 17, 2pm

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
gracious in defeat, humble in victory..................

Yes!

Agree.

Players transfer from club to club for all sorts of reasons. This happens in the AFL and AFLW and indeed in any sport you care to name.

It doesn't mean that they did it for purely mercenary reasons or because they hate their old club.

Everyone needs to be a bit mature about this kind of thing.

It cuts both ways.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just re-watched the game and two things stood out. The obvious one was just how truly unrelenting the Lionesses were. Reckon there were, at the very most, about a dozen occasions whereby the Crows got the ball 5 or so meters in the clear. It was quite remarkable how the pressure was maintained.
The second was that if I was going to do a runner at a restaurant, I would certainly not do it at one where Cathy Svarc was working. Not only would she catch you, but she would bury your face in the pavement.
And a quick third, Bree Koenen was epic. Pity her and Kate could not split the medal.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Flying under the radar again with only one player Kate L named in the team of the year. Looks like reputations overule performance.....maybe next year we will get more recognition. Thought Daks, Svarc and Bates/Allison would get a nod. Hope we do ok in rookie of the year

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Flying under the radar again with only one player Kate L named in the team of the year. Looks like reputations overule performance.....maybe next year we will get more recognition. Thought Daks, Svarc and Bates/Allison would get a nod. Hope we do ok in rookie of the year

Few eye raising selections for sure from absolutely terrible teams.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
There are a lot of individual players spread amongst the Vic teams, GWS, Adelaide and Freo, who perform better than any of our girls on an individual, statistical basis.

We are genuinely the very definition of a champion team. But we don’t have a champion player or players who can take hold of a game and drag her/their team to a win.

A couple of the AFLW media who commentate and write about the teams and performances every week didn’t have a single Lion in their personal AA team.

There are a lot of individual players spread amongst the Vic teams, GWS, Adelaide and Freo, who perform better than any of our girls on an individual, statistical basis.

We are genuinely the very definition of a champion team. But we don’t have a champion player or players who can take hold of a game and drag her/their team to a win.

A couple of the AFLW media who commentate and write about the teams and performances every week didn’t have a single Lion in their personal AA team.

Way to go , I say. All I know is they are best in their position in my team of the year.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
I think it is the real story of this AFLW season that the best TEAM won. We have solid strength on every line. Still in their infancy, AFLW teams are probably a little seduced by a star player or two. I think Brisbane’s model after we lost some stars, of finding team players who can play their roles, has shown a level of maturity ahead of its time on this comp.

What the coaching staff and playing group has achieved has made us the most professional club in the sense of finding, nurturing and developing talent and having it count on the field.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I think it is the real story of this AFLW season that the best TEAM won. We have solid strength on every line. Still in their infancy, AFLW teams are probably a little seduced by a star player or two. I think Brisbane’s model after we lost some stars, of finding team players who can play their roles, has shown a level of maturity ahead of its time on this comp.

What the coaching staff and playing group has achieved has made us the most professional club in the sense of finding, nurturing and developing talent and having it count on the field.
I mentioned elsewhere that while we might not have an out an out star (especially in the midfield) the bottom of our best 21 is stronger than any other club. We literally don’t have any passengers in our team.

You go on any other team board, and there’s always two, three or four players that people are calling to be dropped.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Bottom line is that individual awards and gongs are nice but it's the Premieship Cup that matters and our magnificent TEAM of women have it.

You hear players say all the time that they would gladly give up such individual awards for a Premiership.

Well done to Kate Lutkins on her AA selection but I wager her team mates couldn't care less about missing out

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I mentioned elsewhere that while we might not have an out an out star (especially in the midfield) the bottom of our best 21 is stronger than any other club. We literally don’t have any passengers in our team.

You go on any other team board, and there’s always two, three or four players that people are calling to be dropped.
For sure a couple of weak links and it's game over.
A lot of our players have gone the next level this year.
Breanna Koenen prime example , always hard at it , but I've noticed in the past was prone to a poor disposal , kick straight to the opposition.
She's been solid , work rate , disposal and when it came to holding her position and marking , wow, tough as.
To me that's who I'd have in a real all Australian team if we actually had an opposition to play against.
For mind was just behind Lutkins for the medal.

For sure a couple of weak links and it's game over.
A lot of our players have gone the next level this year.
Breanna Koenen prime example , always hard at it , but I've noticed in the past was prone to a poor disposal , kick straight to the opposition.
She's been solid , work rate , disposal and when it came to holding her position and marking , wow, tough as.
To me that's who I'd have in a real all Australian team if we actually had an opposition to play against.
For mind was just behind Lutkins for the medal.
Spot on!
I nearly had her best on ground.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women

Who's Allison?

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Given ALLY was our highest scoring player in the League BnF...........do we think she will do the same in our BnF? I think Svarc may just pip her with Daks and Bates a close third n fourth. Honorable mention to Hickie, Dawes and our backline.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still on a high following our win.

So good to have another trophy in the cabinet and just reward for some of the women such as Zielke, Bates, and Lutkins and a few others that stuck fat with the club and are now premiership players. Same for Starc too, a great reward for everything he's put into our women's program. I know its petty, but I hope some of the girls that left in search of glory such as that blind girl whose name completely escapes me and went to North and Carlton and the CHB that went to the Suns feels bad at what they missed out on.

To win in Adelaide though, bloody amazing effort. In all honesty, I thought we;d get flogged but just awesome and to keep them to 3 goals after the scores they've been racking up, even more impressive.

Can't wait for next season.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Still on a high following our win.

So good to have another trophy in the cabinet and just reward for some of the women such as Zielke, Bates, and Lutkins and a few others that stuck fat with the club and are now premiership players. Same for Starc too, a great reward for everything he's put into our women's program. I know its petty, but I hope some of the girls that left in search of glory such as that blind girl whose name completely escapes me and went to North and Carlton and the CHB that went to the Suns feels bad at what they missed out on.

To win in Adelaide though, bloody amazing effort. In all honesty, I thought we;d get flogged but just awesome and to keep them to 3 goals after the scores they've been racking up, even more impressive.

Can't wait for next season.
We kept them to 2 goals.

The refs donated them 1.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The vibe and energy in that room. You could power half of Brisbane with it.
Don't want to be negative as there is something cool about Jesse but she has to be careful that the game doesn't pass her by.
If she is not in the middle rucking (she seems to have a knack for positioning for the tap) or dishing balls out, she seems to zone out when camped up forward. No mark, no Jesse.
A pity as she showed real flair at times last year with her agility and smarts in confined spaces. Maybe because she was required to play a different role this year with Dakota becoming the focus.
Just hope the increased pace of the game doesn't find her out.

Back