Rumour AFLW Grand Final Permanently at Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if it clashed with venues like Adelaide Oval being unavailable due to the cricket season, that's still not a good enough reason to deny teams home ground advantage.

Only 15k people showed up to the last grand final. There are heaps of grounds around Australia that could accommodate around that number.

Not that capacity should even be a real reason to deny home ground advantage. It should ALWAYS take precedence over any other factor
A GF played at Norwood Oval with 15k+ in attendance would be freaking awesome. I remember in 1989 watching Norwood play North in front of 11k (the first time the Jarman brothers played against one another after Andrew’s defection). To this day it remains one of the most entertaining games I’ve ever been at… probably helped that Darren Jarman played a blinder and tore the game apart with about 3 goals streaming through 50 and North won by 11 goals, but anyhow, point being that 15k at Norwood would make for an absolutely sensational spectacle, while even 30k scattered around Marvel would not… and if the Crows were playing another non-Victorian team, then let’s face it, there’d be less than 10k in attendance.

This cannot be true. I just refuse to believe that even the AFL - as horrible an organisation as they are - could stoop so low as to make this a thing.

Home ground advantage is only a big thing where players haven't played that surface much. Once they play it a lot the effect size dramatically reduces.

The downside of allowing the AFLW to expand to mirror the AFL is a terrible decision because the AFL structure is horrendous.

Still, any team that doesn't work to play on a ground the dimensions of the MCG are dumb. But hey, we knew that already.

As a bandwagon supporter myself, how do the AFL think they will generate interest amongst non-Victorian Clubs and neutral supporters outside of Victoria if they permanently schedule the AFLW GF here?

If an AFLW GF was played between Adelaide and Brisbane at the Dome, you would barely get a few thousand there. Farcical situation.
Depends on who you talk to...

Not hating on women's footy but logic says you'd get a few down because it's a family day

but realistically them moving this to a August season time slot it's all about making money now and thus the should award it to the top ranked team for home ground advantage and more member support. I can't see them making a viable amount of money by doing this.

in some cases i think our record for 2019 gf is almost a hindrance because they believe it will happen all the time.

Hopefully this is just a wires crossed thing and what is meant is "if the AFLW GF is hosted by a Victorian club, then it will be at Marvel".

I agree with AFC3000 earlier, tell clubs that it is their responsibility to find an appropriately large stadium that can host the GF, and have Marvel as a backup option if it can't be done.

IF I was the head of an AFL Club I'd be arguing that the AFLW grandfinal should never been in Victoria, even if there's two vic sides in it. Then wait for the Vics to complain when there is two vic sides in it. Then see if they can make a connection (two red buttons and dude sweating.gif)

The non VIC clubs need to make a stand on this. just because the mens comp got shafted by the AFL/VIC Government there is no way they should allow that to happen to the Womens comp. Legal action if necessary - if they want to make it VIC only then there needs to be license fee or payment to all of the non Vic clubs every year for VIC having the privilege of the GF each year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What a fricking joke if true. Likely the contract has already been done with the Victorian govt for the next 50 years Eddie McGuire style. It's not a national comp people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back