Universal Love AFLW GRAND FINAL v Melbourne - Adelaide Dynasty Confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Performance feedback is important.
The umpiring was fine. Maybe we got the rough end of a couple, but nothing is nuffier than complaining about umpiring after just winning a grand final.

It'd be incredibly difficult umpiring AFLW, because if you called every free (especially holding the ball) you would be giving away 300 frees a game.

Better that they let it unfold, and there will always be a few mysterious ones.

Last edited:
The umpiring was fine. Maybe we got the rough end of a couple, but nothing is nuffier than complaining about umpiring after just winning a grand final.

It'd be incredibly difficult umpiring AFLW, because if you called every free (especially holding the ball) you would be giving away 300 frees a game.

While it is much easier to be magnanimous after the event, the truth was that most 50/50s went their way while we received very few. The standard wasn’t great and it was pretty damn frustrating to watch.

Regardless, Adelaide absolutely deserved their win and the players should be incredibly proud of their efforts. Go Crows!

I would have gone
3. Allan
2. Hatchard
1. Idk. Maybe randall
Allen was great. Hatchard was great. I might have given it to Ponter. Kicking half the goals in a low scoring, winning GF was pretty influential.

Randall was awesome in the last but perhaps not over the whole match. Marin off and Phillips were both good too. Did what they had to.

Nothing more nuffier than pretending youre above it all.

It was one sided

What a great result!

Got called into work just before the game started, but knew we were in for a good day when after 5 frees against us McKinnon’s replacement Jas Hewett kicked the first goal. If that wasn’t a giant F you to the AFL tribunal decision, I don’t know what was.

Fortunately I got out quite quickly, but turned the radio back on just as Melbourne’s first goal happened just before halftime. At halftime the ABC radio broadcast was abysmal, like there was only one side playing and the commentator talking up how the momentum was with Melbourne, Tayla Harris (who hadn’t touched it at that point) was going to break it open as was Daisy Pearce who only had 2 touches.

Rod Jameson was also doing his best Mark Ricciuto impersonation talking up Melbourne’s chances of getting a 3-4 goal lead next quarter, and when asked about the best players to half time rattled off a list of Melbourne players, only mentioning Hatchard and Marinoff in passing.

So it was especially sweet when Ponter kicked a goal early in the third quarter and the pressure and intensity really lifted. Then we had the umpires missing a HTB when Button took down Lauren Pearce and giving Melbourne a run of free kicks to try and even things up. But when Harris passed it on when she could have kicked Melbourne’s third… didn’t think they were going to catch us from there.

Hatchard well deserved as the BOG winner – just seemed like she was everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can I say. It was one of those games that in hindsight was never in doubt but we weren’t truly home until Ponter’s goal.

The girls hit form at exactly the right time. We were right to be VERY worried after the Collingwood game, but the girls haven’t put a foot wrong since - and not even a 3 week gap between round 10 and PF could stop the momentum.

These girls are legends. Absolute legends. They’re not just legends of the club. They’re legends of the league. In 6 seasons, the only season we’ve truly been out of it was 2020.

These girls will go down as one the of the great dynasties of the AFLW.

And I don’t think they’re done just yet

What a great result!

Got called into work just before the game started, but knew we were in for a good day when after 5 frees against us McKinnon’s replacement Jas Hewett kicked the first goal. If that wasn’t a giant F you to the AFL tribunal decision, I don’t know what was.

Fortunately I got out quite quickly, but turned the radio back on just as Melbourne’s first goal happened just before halftime. At halftime the ABC radio broadcast was abysmal, like there was only one side playing and the commentator talking up how the momentum was with Melbourne, Tayla Harris (who hadn’t touched it at that point) was going to break it open as was Daisy Pearce who only had 2 touches.

Rod Jameson was also doing his best Mark Ricciuto impersonation talking up Melbourne’s chances of getting a 3-4 goal lead next quarter, and when asked about the best players to half time rattled off a list of Melbourne players, only mentioning Hatchard and Marinoff in passing.

So it was especially sweet when Ponter kicked a goal early in the third quarter and the pressure and intensity really lifted. Then we had the umpires missing a HTB when Button took down Lauren Pearce and giving Melbourne a run of free kicks to try and even things up. But when Harris passed it on when she could have kicked Melbourne’s third… didn’t think they were going to catch us from there.

Hatchard well deserved as the BOG winner – just seemed like she was everywhere.
You should have listened to fiveaa coverage.

Jenny Williams and David Wildy.

Jenny Williams put it quite nicely in regards to Harris part way through the second.

She isn't much better than a traffic cone at the moment.

I would have gone
3. Allan
2. Hatchard
1. Idk. Maybe randall
Ponter
Hatchard
Allan
For me with Randall not far behind. At the ground, the ground control and organisation by Allan is superb. If I was Port, she’d be the first player I’d try to recruit as she sets the defence and structure.

Jenny Williams put it quite nicely in regards to Harris part way through the second.

Jenny Williams was very good. They should keep her for Mens games.

Not in SA, so had to endure a bunch of Melbourne centric "Grand Final stories" all week.

Of course, the one they missed was Ash Woodland. Let go from the Dees, and now a Premiership player against her old side and leading goal kicker with the most kicked in a season.

Just on the crowd - the "53,000" in 2019 wasn't a genuine figure. It was free, with no tickets required. There were hardly any people working on the turnstiles - punters were walking in from the street for a look, and walking out again, and then coming back again. At no stage were the top stands at capacity. The crowd figure of 53,000 was based on turnstile numbers and guessing.

15k on a Saturday at midday when it costs money in a pandemic is fine. If the Dees hosted it at Princes Park and they got 15k it'd look full and be the greatest achievement of all time.
Fact of the matter is if Vic's reason to move the GF permanently to the MCG don't we just look back at the 2018 women's GF. From memory there wasn't any more than 5000.

No issues with the umpires getting booed, you want respect earn it. VFL coming out at the start of the year having a cry about it, in the past 24 hours alone we've seen the Cats gifted a game and this game one side that lost getting twice as many frees. Nah stuff em boo as much as you want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back