Universal Love AFLW GRAND FINAL v Melbourne - Adelaide Dynasty Confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the club should formally approach the AFL administration and seek to have all AFLW Grand Finals played at The Adelaide Oval from now on. It is quite clearly the spiritual home of women’s football and it would be a shame to play them anywhere else. Also, given that the three GFs at Adelaide Oval have produced the three largest crowds it also makes sense financially. I would love to hear any objections they might have to such a proposal…
I agree, with the majority of grand finals being played at the ground and also the largest ever AFLW crowd it's the home of AFLW and therefore the obvious choice for a 40 year exclusive contract

I agree, with the majority of grand finals being played at the ground and also the largest ever AFLW crowd it's the home of AFLW and therefore the obvious choice for a 40 year exclusive contract

It's tradition now, couldn't possibly be changed.

And the great thing is we know that home ground advantage had and will never have an impact on the game because the best team always wins on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be delicious!

But if she does go to Port that's fine too.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I remember in 2019 the media had Chelsea Randall all but signed up by West Coast for 2020.

There’s a similar vibe with the hype around Erin going to Port.

I’d never begrudge Erin going to Port but I feel like the emotions she displayed today makes it feel her going there isn’t a forgone conclusion.

Thank god for Hatchard today, give her absolutely everything she wants to stay on.

Agreed. She's our most important player, I think.

Most disposals out of anyone on the ground, and the most marks as well with 9. Next best for the Crows was 5 marks. She should have got a goal as well, if she it would have been up there with Phillips' 2017 GF performance.

Last edited:
My phone died at the ground so I didn't get to post my thoughts after the match. I'm still elated :p

The backline was absolutely immense today. Other than that one telegraphed switch heading into half time they were not beaten all day long. One goal from a free kick that was still under massive pressure could have easily missed, and that's all they let through. I knew going in that we would struggle to kick more than five or six goals, so we had to hold them to less.

I thought our midfield really stood up today. Of course Hatchard and Marinoff did their thing, and Martin was great as always, but the likes of Munyard, Gore, Mules, SLT, Jones etc all put on immense pressure. There were so many smothers! Poor Jones couldn't get a decent bounce all day, but they just swamped Melbourne's midfield. They ensured that almost every entry inside Melbourne's 50 was pressured, allowing our defence to just mop up all day.

I know people sometimes say that Randall is wasted down back, but I love her back there. Poor Tayla Harris, she won't ever want to line up on Randall again. Allan was exceptional, as always, that girl must have ice in her veins. And I would love to go back in time and try to explain to 2020 me that Rajcic and Biddell were going to be as good as they are.

Woodland seemed very off today, but Ponter really stood up. She's such a big-game performer. That goal to seal the game was absolutely brilliant. Phillips was classy as always, but she's definitely on her last legs. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see her play another match. Hey, why not go out on a high?

I'm still furious that McKinnon didn't get to play, but credit to Hewett for holding up her end. That goal at the start was super important, it really set the tone early and put scoreboard pressure on Melbourne. Between Gibson in 2017, Hatchard in 2019, and now Hewett in 2022, the Crows just love getting on the board early via their midfield in grand finals.

Sadly, questions have to be asked about the future of Button and Considine. Rachelle Martin always talks about how much she loves playing with her sister, I'm not sure it's going to continue much longer. They may be saved due to the fact that Port will likely take some of our players, so we'll want to retain whatever experience we can, but in another season they'd be at genuine risk of being delisted.

The umpiring, unforgivable. Seems trite to complain about it now but it was genuinely atrocious.

Three time premiers, you little beauty :thumbsu: In 2017 I think we were probably the third best team that season and were lucky to fall over the line. In 2019 we were clearly the best side and romped it in. This year is the first year where I think you could draw a circle around three teams (us, Melbourne, Brisbane) and say each had a claim on being the best side of the year, and so we had to be the best team on the day. The Crows learned from their rushed, panicky performance last year and made it count this year. I couldn't be prouder of them :)

I hope the new season does start early as predicted because I can't wait to support the reigning premiers in their next campaign!

Great win by the girls. Enough turned up on the day to get the job done. Best team all year, only (once again) going down to our bogey side, the Bullfrogs, by a point. Absolute shades of 2019 there. We might lose a bunch of players to the expansion teams next season, but regardless - these girls have left their mark on the competition.

Tips to Ponter - could have been BoG. Been very ordinary at times this year, but players like this can explode on the big stage. Woodland didn't do much but was one that contributed greatly to getting us top of the ladder and subsequent home finals.

As predicted, the umpires were against us from the get go. 6 free kicks to 1 in the first, a few lasso and last minute free's inflated the 11-22 free kick count, really looked more like 8 - 22. Really should have been an a neutral free kick count based on what I observed. It's kind of like giving your opponent 11 more contested mark wins. Lets not mention the BS suspensions we had for both finals. Winning against an umpire reaming, BS suspensions and the Victorian fairytale narrative - astounding.
7-3 at 1/4 time (6-0 7 minutes in)
11-7 at 1/2 time
18-7 at 3/4 time
22-11 at 1 time

I hope the new season does start early as predicted because I can't wait to support the reigning premiers in their next campaign!
I really hope it isn't an August start

Do an October start. Week after the mens GF
Then run for 12 weeks till the weekend of the 17/18 of December
2 weeks off
Then run another 5 weeks till the first weekend of February
Then 4 weeks of finals (GF first weekend of March)

Would basically mean if you get behind womens footy. You only have about 4/5 weeks without footy in the year (2 week christmas break, pre-finals bye, then the week between the pre-season and rd 1)

Wouldn't be surprised if they are back to the US very soon.

That could be a real possibility.

My gut feeling is that she will be at Port next year, by suggesting that she will return to the US, she would have increased her price if Port want her.

I think she will present a lot of value to them as a marquee player to attract supporters to their team, Port cannot afford not to.

This GF win certainly feels more special than the other 2. I woke up with the grin and thinking immediately of the win from yesterday. I think the AFLW comp is starting to feel organic, it’s no longer a gimmicky comp, but a genuine professional sporting competition. This wasn’t the case in the first couple of seasons where most of the players were just happy to be playing AFL.

Also, in the first 3-4 years we were just too dominant because we clearly had the best 2 players in AFLW in Randall and Phillips; and 3 other elite players in Marinoff, Hatchard and Allan. This year with injury concerns to Chelsea, and Erin slowing down a bit, the other teams are catching up (ala Brisbane and Melbourne). So the GF this year seems like a genuine 50/50 contest between 2 deserved teams.

Then with all the Melbourne hype-fest with the Dees and Daisy, commentators pumping them up, the AFL/Tribunal showing their obvious intent/bias, this GF win feels so much more special than the other ones.

TLDR - you bloody bewdy!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back