Women's Footy AFLW Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer is an awfully low scoring game, I wonder if those people helpfully stopping by a post about AFLW and offering “constructive criticism” do the same on the soccer board? 🤔

I also wonder if they’ve had a look at men’s VFL scoring back when that competition was in its infancy, because it really wasn’t all that different compared to AFLW scoring now, particularly when you take into account that they were playing longer game time.

Amazing that they call AFLW supporters glass jawed for supposedly failing to take criticism on board, but then the moment you suggest that maybe there’s a gendered element to much of that criticism, they suddenly become the most precious outraged glass jawed posters of all 🤭
Because soccer and AFL/W operate under the same rules and structure right?

glass jaw indeed to any criticism and you all start yelling out sexism straight away

Of course the skills were poor in the beginning of the VFA/VFL.....it was a brand-new sport.
You might want to check your footy history. When the VFL started, footy wasn’t a new sport at all.

Because soccer and AFL/W operate under the same rules and structure right?
Oh I do love a completely missed point 😂 The reason I raised soccer is because people who don’t watch it, have no interest in it and probably never will, don’t tend to feel entitled to head into a board or thread dedicated to it and then proceed to tell all and sundry how much they hate it and how it could improve. It’s a strange phenomenon unique to AFLW that people who, by their own admission, have no interest still feel the need to comment on how s**t they think it is and how they’d make it better.

start yelling out sexism straight away
I don’t think you guys even realise that there’s a gendered component to your criticism to be honest, so I’m sure it’s not even intentional half the time. It not-so-subtly hides behind “the scoring is too low FFS!!!!” or “FMD I WOULD RATHER WATCH PAINT DRY THAN WATCH WOMENS FOOTY”. And then in other cases it’s just blatant and people come right out and say the players should be in the kitchen, women can’t play footy, etc. Doesn’t happen so much on BF because posts like that quite rightly get removed quick smart, but have a look at any AFLW post on some of the less monitored social media sites like Facebook and twitter and you’ll see what I’m taking about.

You might want to check your footy history. When the VFL started, footy wasn’t a new sport at all.
And how long did it take to become professional? 100 years? But sure, let's just rush in a professional women's comp in 4 years then saturate it with an overwhelming majority of sub-par teams and players and let's be outraged when it gets rightfully criticized.

Oh I do love a completely missed point 😂 The reason I raised soccer is because people who don’t watch it, have no interest in it and probably never will, don’t tend to feel entitled to head into a board or thread dedicated to it and then proceed to tell all and sundry how much they hate it and how it could improve. It’s a strange phenomenon unique to AFLW that people who, by their own admission, have no interest still feel the need to comment on how s**t they think it is and how they’d make it better.

I don’t think you guys even realise that there’s a gendered component to your criticism to be honest, so I’m sure it’s not even intentional half the time. It not-so-subtly hides behind “the scoring is too low FFS!!!!” or “FMD I WOULD RATHER WATCH PAINT DRY THAN WATCH WOMENS FOOTY”. And then in other cases it’s just blatant and people come right out and say the players should be in the kitchen, women can’t play footy, etc. Doesn’t happen so much on BF because posts like that quite rightly get removed quick smart, but have a look at any AFLW post on some of the less monitored social media sites like Facebook and twitter and you’ll see what I’m taking about.
So every criticism is sexist whether the person knows it or not …wowee that’s an incredible take right there imagine complaining about posters commenting on a sport that they follow [AFL] instead of commenting on other sports they Probbly don’t follow I.e soccer

And it’s called BigFooty for a reason

Again incredibly precious and unable to handle any criticism without trying to vilify the posters as being sexist…amazing

So every criticism is sexist

Not sure that’s what I said, but sure have a giant over reach. I think in an earlier post I used the word “much” of the criticism, and you’re welcome to disagree if you think even that is a stretch. Definitely didn’t use the word “every” or “all”.

Again incredibly precious

I mean, the only person who’s really reacting preciously and with outrage is you at the minute. If criticising a competition that you have no real interest in passes your time, please go ahead. Just don’t be surprised when somebody responds back to that criticism with an alternative view, which is all I’ve done 🙂

I don't know who they are. Really disappointing that I was banned probably because they didn't like the opinions I have. When this site is essentially based on opinions and being shut down for having one is pretty stupid because it doesn't fit the narrative.

The Womens Footy Board has been a place where we encourage the ongoing development of the game, the league and players. We arent big on negative posting, but we do allow constructive criticisms that arent just flat out "urskilzzsucK' and such. A ban may have been warranted depending on how it was expressed. I have no intention of changing that policy.

What does that have anything to do with what I said? Magic round is 1 week of footy, might make an extra few million. This is a nationwide investment into the other 50% of the population.

If you want to play “I was here first”, Aussie Rules had state of origin first.
no one does SOO like the NRL,the womens NRL comp is actually a good watch,the AFLW should go back to touch,they might score more,it will still remain unwatchable tho for me,your never gonna see a woman soar above the pack,never ever will u see anyone soar above a pack or kick 12 goals in a game,thats
sad for them unfortunately because thats what seperates the paddock footballers from the elite.

By my count this was the seventh senior grand final involving both Pearce and Paxman.

I knew the season was going to be a scrap fest when I heard a couple of the women talk about zoning and team defence before the season kicked off.
If they just strived for women on women positional football they would draw viewers in that a frustrated by the men’s rolling mules and 30 around the ball.
That football looks s**t when mens teams near the foot of the ladder play it.
Women had an opportunity to recreate 90s football but their endeavour to be like the men has created mid 2000s football.
A massive lost opportunity.
In the 2000s there were times when I prefer to watch state football then the btm AFL teams dueling it out.

How were the women going to do that when they are coached by men?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure others have done more detailed analysis, but just looking at for and against for the bombers this year (10th with percentage of ~98) and their average scores were 34.9 to 35.4

Extrapolate that out to match mens playing time, we’re looking at 48.9 to 49.5.

Not terrible numbers, and if AFLW could get to that sort of number I think it’d be a great outcome.

Brisbane as the highest scoring team of the year averaged equivalent of 76, although they were routinely smacking some of the newer teams

The afl were going to bring in more rules to help that along but there was blow back wanting the same as the blokes.
They could have had zones, last touch OB etc.

They do have last kick out of bounds.

The media and how they report/describe the game play a part in the commentary on social media.

I'm sure people have read stuff on social media platforms pushing the game or a play and then when people check that out the reporting doesn't then match what people see with their own eyes.

Sinead Goldrick (right) was Melbourne's best player in last season's grand final loss, after doing her hamstring late in the season before that (meaning the Dees were without both her and Pearce for their prelim loss of 2021). Seven-time All Star back home, now she's won an AFLW premiership in addition to three All-Ireland championships.

Blaithin Mackin (left) played her first AFLW game against Brisbane in R4. On the weekend, she kicked this crucial goal (admittedly the assist from Bannan was 90% of it) in just her tenth game:

Back to the photo, guy in the middle is Mike Currane who has done a lot of good work recruiting and preparing many Irish players to/for our game. This season there were 22 Gaelic converts on an AFLW list, which is the same number of Indigenous players on an AFLW list (that I know of).

Every year the standard has improved . Its gradually getting more depth but all of that takes time when you think where the comp started from .
Its really all you can ask.

My cousin has been in it since season one .
She got a call 2 weeks out from the first draft telling her to nominate because ' we will pick you '
She wasn't even playing at the time but was a champion cross country runner and soccer player .
Thats how far back its come from

Come on the issue isn't the standard it's the fact the media want us to believe everything is fantastic and it's above criticism. I don't feel the need to comment about the quality as I don't watch it often enough but I hear enough from the ones that do that are either in a state of denial or genuinely believe people out there shouldn't be critiquing it. The honeymoon period is almost over IMO. I'd give it 4-5 more years once all 18 teams have established themselves properly into the competition before making a proper judgement. Your than looking at a competition a decade or more old where you should be seeing the aesthetics improve to a good standard. If we're still seeing the same sort of messy stuff they will lose the supporter base. I hear this from an avid follower and someone who plays the game at a lower level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back