Women's Footy AFLW Grand Final

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Only 4 actually.

But I seriously agree. There needs to be some rule tweaks to get more goals and less ball ups.

So many bloody ball ups.
Good call i can't even count

I watched the first qtr then turned it off and went for a walk, come back and game was done and the lion's didn't kick another goal

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Certainly not the best game of AFLW I’ve watched, but was unbelievably intense from the outset.

Pleased (obviously) for the team, have been thereabouts for a long time, and a big part of the comp since inception. Coached exceptionally well throughout the years too, great to see Stinear get the win

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
I watched it all and and enjoyed it.

I said "tweaks" . Doesn't need wholesale changes.

Just feel the umps could pay holding the more a bit quicker?
Sorry, wasn’t intended at you.

I made the mistake of opening the comments on a 7AFL Facebook post and got me worked up.

Umpiring certainly needs a bit of tweaking as you say.

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Master of Ceremonies at the Melbourne AFL Grand Final win , Basil , forgot to let Simon Goodwin speak

The Master of Ceremonies at the Melbourne AFLW Grand Final win , was setting a speed record in announcing the winning players as they came up to collect their medals , until somebody told her to slow it down.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Certainly not the best game of AFLW I’ve watched, but was unbelievably intense from the outset.

Pleased (obviously) for the team, have been thereabouts for a long time, and a big part of the comp since inception. Coached exceptionally well throughout the years too, great to see Stinear get the win

I'm particularly pleased for Daisy and Paxie.
Daisy for the ridiculous flak she routinely cops and Paxie for being consistently in the top 5 players
from day 1 in the competition.
A real warrior for the Dees.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
The Master of Ceremonies at the Melbourne AFL Grand Final win , Basil , forgot to let Simon Goodwin speak

The Master of Ceremonies at the Melbourne AFLW Grand Final win , was setting a speed record in announcing the winning players as they came up to collect their medals , until somebody told her to slow it down.

Yes - couldn't believe that MC. Falls into the category of 'You had one job !'

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
It's a tough one. The league is there now so the next generation and the generation after that play it at a relatively high level from a young age. Problem is when you have current players speaking to the media requesting much larger salaries than their product is worth. Having said that if the salary is too low why would future generations want to play in it?

I enjoyed it for what it is. Don’t compare mens with Womens its 3 decades away from being near it. The skills in general have improved massively though however not sure they needed to expand so quickly.

I’d look at some changes or tweaks

1) Reduce the ground size. These girls can’t kick it as long which means more and more congestion which in turns makes it scrappy. Take out 15 m on both ends and it will get more scoring

2) Reduce players on the field by 4. Take the game on, less players in the centre circle.

Chadsteve1975

Draftee
Oct 27, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I enjoyed it for what it is. Don’t compare mens with Womens its 3 decades away from being near it. The skills in general have improved massively though however not sure they needed to expand so quickly.

I’d look at some changes or tweaks

1) Reduce the ground size. These girls can’t kick it as long which means more and more congestion which in turns makes it scrappy. Take out 15 m on both ends and it will get more scoring

2) Reduce players on the field by 4. Take the game on, less players in the centre circle.
Not against 1. However perhaps not as drastic a size shrink is required. Issue is how could you implement? Ground sizes are already not consisent, and well changing goal post positioning risks creating potential surface risk to grounds for larger sized mens field if post holes come into play. The game is already under reduced players and uses smaller ball. Could perhaps apply that field lines are created to a lower width to help create smaller field but then it risks becomes a corridor only game like Geelong stadium is often argued to create. However less players

Back