Women's Footy AFLW Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Professional golfers don't get taken out from an unexpected hip and shoulder while putting. I think you might find executing skills a tad more difficult when you don't have all the time in the world.
i look at it at it like this,im here to watch the elite and sometimes i will pay for that experience,in any sport,no matter the gender
So
golf - the crowd demands birdies etc,you wanna par the course for 4 straight days,good luck with that, nobodys gonna pay to watch that and the sport will
eventually fold,men or women it wouldnt matter,despite the closeness,if nearly every woman or man trodded around for 4 days at even and we were all waiting for that 1 special shot to seperate the pack the sport would fold,fact is special shots are common but less so under the pressure of when it comes down to deciding the clutch moments of a tournament

aflw is at the level where theyre going at 20 over par imo in comparison to the men,good luck to them for they have a long long way to go before they even get within a bulls roar of the standard of elite australian rules footy that ive previously witnessed and what demands my attention

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
1. It’s come a long way since the first couple of seasons.
2. You can’t argue with the attitude shift of women and girls around the country at a local level. There are so many girls playing footy now that weren’t before. Any of you virgins know what happens when women have sex? They have kids, kids who will grow up playing/watching AFL/W. The AFL (unlike the NRL) is good at planning 20-30 years into the future. They’re smarter than you, just back them in.

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really? Have you been asleep or just ignorant of the Ross Lyon years at Freo where this was basically discussed every week

It isn’t a gender issue it’s just s**t football
Except the comments that are along the lines of:

They should probably just stay in the kitchen.

Shannon Campbell. Who? Never heard of him.

Yes there is some genuine feedback and criticism on the game (some even constructive!), but you don’t have to look to far to find some pretty vile stuff that is clearly gender driven.

And a lot of that stuff is coming from those who clearly haven’t watched the game, and have no interest in doing so, just coming online to make themselves feel ‘superior’ and get cheap likes from other like minded knuckle draggers.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Except the comments that are along the lines of:

They should probably just stay in the kitchen.

Shannon Campbell. Who? Never heard of him.

Yes there is some genuine feedback and criticism on the game (some even constructive!), but you don’t have to look to far to find some pretty vile stuff that is clearly gender driven.

And a lot of that stuff is coming from those who clearly haven’t watched the game, and have no interest in doing so, just coming online to make themselves feel ‘superior’ and get cheap likes from other like minded knuckle draggers.
Yeah nah making it a gender issue is just a form of deflection to keep the criticism away. Those comments would be a small minority there are always tasteless comments in all sports, it’s a bit pathetic trying to lump all criticisms as being sexist and that somehow AFLW should be the exception to any criticism based on their gender …they aren’t fragile things that need protection from the world as that’s a form of sexism in itself

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah nah making it a gender issue is just a form of deflection to keep the criticism away. Those comments would be a small minority there are always tasteless comments in all sports, it’s a bit pathetic trying to lump all criticisms as being sexist and that somehow AFLW should be the exception to any criticism based on their gender …they aren’t fragile things that need protection from the world as that’s a form of sexism in itself
Genuine criticism is the small minority, I welcome it when I see it.

I still do wonder the motivation of men and boys who don’t watch the games, hanging s**t on it at every opportunity though. What are they trying to achieve?

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Genuine criticism is the small minority, I welcome it when I see it.

I still do wonder the motivation of men and boys who don’t watch the games, hanging s**t on it at every opportunity though. What are they trying to achieve?
But that’s the thing you seem to think you’re the only one that can tell it’s a genuine criticism, the grand final was absolutely boring and low scoring and isn’t a great advertisement of the game and the same exact thing has been said of other low scoring men games..it’s absolutely stupid to make it a gender issue

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
But that’s the thing you seem to think you’re the only one that can tell it’s a genuine criticism, the grand final was absolutely boring and low scoring and isn’t a great advertisement of the game and the same exact thing has been said of other low scoring men games..it’s absolutely stupid to make it a gender issue
That's your opinion. You don't need to try and persuade people who did like it. If you've got an issue, don't watch it. It's really that simple.
I don't go into posts about golf and tell everyone it's boring. I find it boring, they dont

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t disagree it was low scoring. Boring is subjective. It was a grind at times for sure, but for me the Geelong v Sydney AFL GF was a snooze fest, and the AFLW was far more enthralling.

Still doesn’t explain why so many men and boys (many of who are doing so behind fake profiles) are so keen to have their say on a game they don’t watch.

“is this the qtr time score lol” “I fell asleep while watching” “Hope Daisy retires so we don’t have to see her anymore” “would rather watch auskick”

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That's your opinion. You don't need to try and persuade people who did like it. If you've got an issue, don't watch it. It's really that simple.
I don't go into posts about golf and tell everyone it's boring. I find it boring, they dont
So it’s just all criticism that you have a issue with

Very precious

Got it

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
I was waiting for this to pop somewhere where I can see it, the woke brigade banned me from seeing the thread about women's footy because my opinions obviously didn't match theirs.

How can you as a competition walk away thinking the game was a success? There was more goals in the world cup last night I'm a 3-3 all draw. The skils are awful, I watched the whole game and took nothing away that I didn't already know.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I knew the season was going to be a scrap fest when I heard a couple of the women talk about zoning and team defence before the season kicked off.
If they just strived for women on women positional football they would draw viewers in that a frustrated by the men’s rolling mules and 30 around the ball.
That football looks s**t when mens teams near the foot of the ladder play it.
Women had an opportunity to recreate 90s football but their endeavour to be like the men has created mid 2000s football.
A massive lost opportunity.
In the 2000s there were times when I prefer to watch state football then the btm AFL teams dueling it out.

I knew the season was going to be a scrap fest when I heard a couple of the women talk about zoning and team defence before the season kicked off.
If they just strived for women on women positional football they would draw viewers in that a frustrated by the men’s rolling mules and 30 around the ball.
That football looks s**t when mens teams near the foot of the ladder play it.
Women had an opportunity to recreate 90s football but their endeavour to be like the men has created mid 2000s football.
A massive lost opportunity.
In the 2000s there were times when I prefer to watch state football then the btm AFL teams dueling it out.
I mean at the end of the day in a competitive environment you do what's most effective to win. Positional football is only going to happen if the AFL force it to happen by changing the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
1. It’s come a long way since the first couple of seasons.
2. You can’t argue with the attitude shift of women and girls around the country at a local level. There are so many girls playing footy now that weren’t before. Any of you virgins know what happens when women have sex? They have kids, kids who will grow up playing/watching AFL/W. The AFL (unlike the NRL) is good at planning 20-30 years into the future. They’re smarter than you, just back them in.
magic round :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: NRL have had it for 6 years

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I was waiting for this to pop somewhere where I can see it, the woke brigade banned me from seeing the thread about women's footy because my opinions obviously didn't match theirs.

How can you as a competition walk away thinking the game was a success? There was more goals in the world cup last night I'm a 3-3 all draw. The skils are awful, I watched the whole game and took nothing away that I didn't already know.
geez your a glutton for punishment,i watched 4 minutes in total,its drivel at the moment,wouldnt cross the road to watch it for free in its present form

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t disagree it was low scoring. Boring is subjective. It was a grind at times for sure, but for me the Geelong v Sydney AFL GF was a snooze fest, and the AFLW was far more enthralling.

Still doesn’t explain why so many men and boys (many of who are doing so behind fake profiles) are so keen to have their say on a game they don’t watch.

“is this the qtr time score lol” “I fell asleep while watching” “Hope Daisy retires so we don’t have to see her anymore” “would rather watch auskick”
its all about calling out BS,u wanna shove sumthin down ones lungs,better be prepared for the honest feedback,thats business frendo
put lipstick on a pig,in the end its still a pig

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I mean at the end of the day in a competitive environment you do what's most effective to win. Positional football is only going to happen if the AFL force it to happen by changing the rules.
AFL was competitive in the 90s
AFL tried to tweak rules but push back from the drive to play the same stop that which is fair enough from a women’s perspective.
AFL house is good at manipulating the men’s game surely at set up/ yearly coaching conferences strong recommendations could be made on the way the game should be play.

AFL was competitive in the 90s
AFL tried to tweak rules but push back from the drive to play the same stop that which is fair enough from a women’s perspective.
AFL house is good at manipulating the men’s game surely at set up/ yearly coaching conferences strong recommendations could be made on the way the game should be play.
Yeah but 90's football was played the way it was because it was the best understanding of how to most effectively win games at the time. The AFL changed because of changes in fitness and professionalism. Once teams realised they would have a better chance of winning by putting more players around the ball everyone conformed to the best practice.

The AFL has struggled a lot to get the game played the way they want. They are non-comittal in the process, tinkering with rules rather than making fundamental changes that might actually bring about the style they hope for. It's questionable whether an outcome of positional football is even achievable without destroying the game in the process.

AFLW is probably the best testing ground for such rule changes though. Although I expect going down that path would be met with a lot of resistance. I actually think the 'last disposal oob' rule is a good one which should be incorporated into the Mens game.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
geez your a glutton for punishment,i watched 4 minutes in total,its drivel at the moment,wouldnt cross the road to watch it for free in its present form
There's people that genuinely like it. The whole draft thing is ****ed, once you go past pick 10, you're basically picking average to poor players.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Aww come on now. Who doesn't love watching a rolling mule?

Soccer is an awfully low scoring game, I wonder if those people helpfully stopping by a post about AFLW and offering “constructive criticism” do the same on the soccer board? 🤔

I also wonder if they’ve had a look at men’s VFL scoring back when that competition was in its infancy, because it really wasn’t all that different compared to AFLW scoring now, particularly when you take into account that they were playing longer game time.

Amazing that they call AFLW supporters glass jawed for supposedly failing to take criticism on board, but then the moment you suggest that maybe there’s a gendered element to much of that criticism, they suddenly become the most precious outraged glass jawed posters of all 🤭

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I feel sorry for the other elite womens sports, who struggle to get the attention in the media that they deserve, whilst the AFLW takes prime real-estate in the newspapers and TV, enjoying authoritarian like censorship of anyone who dares to call a spade a spade. (and please don't talk about the intensity and toughness.)

AFLW should never have been attached to the AFL clubs, and thus never been more than 8 teams (if even that). In all honesty the AFLW shouldn't even exist yet, with the state leagues being the focus of community growth. You could then have your National Carnival as the showcase of the state talent.

I can see the AFLW in its current form being axed sometime in the future and being replaced with something subsensible. Because 18 teams has just pushed this competition back so far in available talent that it is not a joke. The AFL itself shouldn't even be 18 teams, let alone 19 with the pending introduction of Tasmania.
Great post. But you'll still be labelled a sexist and a bigot.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Soccer is an awfully low scoring game, I wonder if those people helpfully stopping by a post about AFLW and offering “constructive criticism” do the same on the soccer board? 🤔

I also wonder if they’ve had a look at men’s VFL scoring back when that competition was in its infancy, because it really wasn’t all that different compared to AFLW scoring now, particularly when you take into account that they were playing longer game time.

Amazing that they call AFLW supporters glass jawed for supposedly failing to take criticism on board, but then the moment you suggest that maybe there’s a gendered element to much of that criticism, they suddenly become the most precious outraged glass jawed posters of all 🤭
Why would they? :think: Soccer has a goalkeeper and an off-side rule. The rules of soccer mean it always has been and always will be a very low scoring game whereas it's the skills of AFLW are the reason it is low scoring.

Of course the skills were poor in the beginning of the VFA/VFL.....it was a brand-new sport. Not to mention drastically different rules to modern footy :straining:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back