Women's Footy AFLW: GWS Players Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

We can sign up to 23 players before the draft. This is a pretty damn good 14 to build on.:thumbsu:

GIANTS 2019 AFL Women’s List
Alicia Eva
Jess Dal Pos
Nicola Barr
Tanya Hetherington
Ellie Brush
Aimee Schmidt
Louise Stephenson
Emma Swanson
Amanda Farrugia
Pipa Randall
Elle Bennetts
Erin McKinnon
Courtney Gum
Phoebe Monahan

I honestly thought Jessica Dal Pos would go home so that's great news. Courtney Gum as well, seems the Crows just aren't interested in her, their loss . I think Alicia Eva is pretty much rusted on?

I reckon I know why most have stayed with the Giants.

You were a win away from making the Grand Final. The two Grand Finalists have both lost a number of star players to the expansion sides, Melbourne lost five players and Adelaide stalled, dumping their premiership coach.

I think the GWS women know by keeping the side together (excluding Forth and Boyd), they are in a very good starting position for 2019 and should, in my opinion of covering women's footy for the last 5 years, be in the AFLW Grand Final picture.

I reckon I know why most have stayed with the Giants.

You were a win away from making the Grand Final. The two Grand Finalists have both lost a number of star players to the expansion sides, Melbourne lost five players and Adelaide stalled, dumping their premiership coach.

I think the GWS women know by keeping the side together (excluding Forth and Boyd), they are in a very good starting position for 2019 and should, in my opinion of covering women's footy for the last 5 years, be in the AFLW Grand Final picture.
I'm sure you're right. Big thing to move interstate for the season. Courtney Gum leaves hubby and child in Adelaide, no small thing.They certainly aren't doing it for the money.

GWS #1 signing for 2019 (I presume) just got best on for NSW/ACT U18s again - Alyce Parker. From the instagram posts, it looks like she is working to make sure she is up to it from day 1, as she already looks to have added muscle from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also a few more re-signings today
In further good news for the GIANTS, five local players and an international star will return in 2019. Canberra’s Britt Tully and Hay’s Jodie Hicks have signed on for another season at the GIANTS, and the club’s first-ever New South Wales signing, Maddy Collier, has extended her stay at the club to a third season.
Forwards Rebecca Beeson and Jacinda Barclay will don the orange and charcoal for another season while promising South Australian rookie Tait Mackrill has also put pen to paper on a new contract. Irish sensation Cora Staunton, who lit up the competition in 2018 with her unique kicking style and hard-nosed attack at the football, will return to Western Sydney for a second season.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/20...utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=BernardiaGIANT

The GIANTS received an additional selection at the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft after Canberra midfielder Britt Tully announced she was stepping away from the game for 12 months due to personal reasons. Tully played 14 games for the GIANTS after making her debut in round 1, 2017, finishing third in the 2017 Gabrielle Trainor Medal and winning the Coaches Award in 2018. The club will continue to support Tully.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-10-23/giants-welcome-eight-aflw-draftees

Lost a bit of forward and midfield talent. Interesting how we approach filling those slots.

When it comes to forwards, these delistings are available - no comment on talent, just a straight 'who is available' that's be named publicly.

Sarah Perkins (ex-Adelaide)
Katelyn Rosenzweig (ex-Adelaide)
Moana Hope (ex-Collingwood and Kangaroos)

Midfielders

Sally Riley (ex-Adelaide)
Rheanne Lugg (ex-Adelaide)
Megan Hunt (ex-Brisbane)
Shae Audley (ex-Carlton)
Kirby Bentley (ex-Fremantle and Carlton)
Reni Hicks (ex-Carlton)
Emma Humphries (ex-Mebourne and Kangaroos)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Signed:
Jessica Allan (Adelaide), Jacinda Barclay, Nicola Barr, Rebecca Beeson, Elle Bennetts, Yvonne Bonner, Ellie Brush, Jess Dal Pos, Taylah Davies (rookie), Alicia Eva, Amanda Farrugia, Tanya Hetherington, Jodie Hicks, Erin McKinnon, Ingrid Nielsen, Alyce Parker, Pepa Randall, Aimee Schmidt, Cora Staunton, Louise Stephenson, Britt Tully, Haneen Zreika.
Traded: Pick 46 to Adelaide for Jessica Allan
Expansion Signings: Christina Bernardi (Richmond), Maddy Collier (West Coast), Phoebe Monahan (Richmond), Emma Swanson (West Coast)
Delisted: Delma Gisu, Tait Mackrill, Ebony O'Dea, Brittany Perry, Renee Tomkins, Lisa Whiteley
Retired: Courtney Gum

Verdict: The Giants maintained the majority of their list, including several interstate and international stars in Eva, Stephenson, Bonner and Staunton. Allan is a high-quality recruit who the team didn't have to give up much for, but the loss of classy players Bernardi and Swanson will hurt. The Giants will look to the draft for a key position player at both ends of the ground.

Full article below
https://womens.afl/news/17858/trade-and-signing-period-who-your-club-picked-up-plus-our-verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Back