List Mgmt. AFLW Inaugural List Build (inc. drafting, trading & free agency)

Remove this Banner Ad

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich & Ess AFLW,
Not sure if there's one already created (by me or someone else) (if there is please delete this one) but it's time to discuss the make-up of the inaugural squad.

Presumably the club will be tapping into the Calder Cannons squad and going from there.

2022 is the next important year in Essendon's club history.
2023 is when the club unveils its first ever AFLW line-up.

There should be a mix of players from other clubs and freshly drafted talent.

Let's go.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
There wasn't a thread yet because the trade period isn't until June and the draft is in July, and we won't know what our list build concessions will be like until closer to the date.

Also we can do all the recruiting and list management stuff in one thread for now. If it gets popular enough to warrant splitting into two threads then we can do that down the track or in a few years, etc.

I reckon PMBangers and Pie 4 Life might be able to name some names for us though.

PMBangers

@Headless approved!
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
There wasn't a thread yet because the trade period isn't until June and the draft is in July, and we won't know what our list build concessions will be like until closer to the date.

Also we can do all the recruiting and list management stuff in one thread for now. If it gets popular enough to warrant splitting into two threads then we can do that down the track or in a few years, etc.

I reckon PMBangers and Pie 4 Life might be able to name some names for us though.
Oh the names to track.... my stars!

We don't really know much about how the new clubs will be introduced re: prelisting of underaged girls, I know St Kilda got to sign 2 or 3 girls that were draft eligible prior to their inclusion from Dandenong Stingrays, so maybe Essendon will get a similar start with the Calder Cannons? The 3 to look out for in that case are Abbey McDonald who was part of the U19s Metro squad this year, good ball use and plays as a utility in the truest sense, has played games where she's run through the midfield, backline and forwardline all in one (check out a great goal from her in one of the U17s matches below)

Reese Sutton and Tahlia Read who are both mid-forwards, Tahlia is pretty powerful as a burst runner from memory so will be exciting around stoppages if picked up.

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich & Ess AFLW,

I'm down for that.

eth-dog

Tier 1 WW Player
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
I think Ruby Svarc is a really good chance at coming back if she struggles to get a game at Brisbane again. How do they work out the draft order with new sides?

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

THE FOUR expansion clubs will be able to sign up to 14 current AFLW players in a special 'expansion signing period', in proposed rules released by the AFL on Monday.

Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney will join the NAB AFLW competition ahead of the 2022-23 season, rounding out all 18 clubs.

The AFL hasn’t yet confirmed rules around the number of players per existing club who can move to new clubs.

Last expansion round, Brisbane and Fremantle could lose up to eight players, given Gold Coast and West Coast were entering the competition, with other teams losing up to four.

The new clubs can also acquire players through the following methods:

• Open-age signings: players who have previously nominated for the NAB AFLW Draft and aren’t on a list
  • Under-18 talent from their NGA region. There will be a limit on this category, which is yet to be determined
  • Sign and trade period: following the expansion signing period. Expansion clubs cannot on-trade players they have signed through other mechanisms
  • NAB AFLW Draft
The expansion clubs will receive the first eight picks of the state-based draft, with the order to be determined at random.

They will then receive remaining picks at the end of each round, following the existing 14 clubs.

A number of Essendon and Hawthorn VFLW players nominated for the 2021 draft, making them eligible for signing as an open-age player.

Bombers VFLW skipper and competition best and fairest Georgia Nanscawen opted not to nominate for the 2021 draft, but should be eligible as an open-age signing as she has previously gone through the drafting process.

The AFL has said final list build rules will be determined in 2022.

So we should be able to sign any of our VFLW players who nominated in 2021 or before, sign some existing AFLW players from other clubs, plus two picks in the first 8 and a bunch of later picks.

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad