AFLW injuries...

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely terrible news for Braz (ACL), Schleicher (broken wrist) and Gourlay (ACL). Hopefully doesn't completely derail the season. We now need a few others to stand up.

Horrible news.

I've posted before about the high rate of ACLs in women's footy. Without wanting to repeat myself, the following is informative:

Physiotherapist Brooke Patterson has been studying the issue, and is doing a PhD on the topic.

Sep 27, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SAS, SSC Napoli, ΠΑΟΚ FC
Horrible news.

I've posted before about the high rate of ACLs in women's footy. Without wanting to repeat myself, the following is informative:

Physiotherapist Brooke Patterson has been studying the issue, and is doing a PhD on the topic.

Would love to read this if published. I work in an exercise physiology clinic and the rise in rate of knee injuries, particularly for females in sports like netball and soccer is easy to see.

Absolutely gutted for those three, and for the team overall. Hope we can steady the ship, but these are big losses.

Would love to read this if published. I work in an exercise physiology clinic and the rise in rate of knee injuries, particularly for females in sports like netball and soccer is easy to see.

Absolutely gutted for those three, and for the team overall. Hope we can steady the ship, but these are big losses.

Not sure if published, or the status of her thesis. You could try Googling/contacting her.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Its a terrible shame for these girls (and the team) but I'm sure Braz and the other girls wouldn't want our young team to drop their heads now.
Get better soon you three...we need you all back for next year!

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How many ACL's has their been in the AFLW so far this season? Huge issue for the game going forward.

These injuries affect the girls normal working lives too

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
About 14 at this point.

Have to wonder if it's related to physical development in preparation for the rigors of the game or technique because that does seem a high number across a preseason and 4 rounds.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have to wonder if it's related to physical development in preparation for the rigors of the game or technique because that does seem a high number across a preseason and 4 rounds.

I think the research has shown it's partly because of how women's bodies are designed with, the wider hips, there is more pressure on their knees and ankles compared to men... So it doesn't appear like this issue is going to go away, and it's going to turn away a huge amount of young girls from playing when they constantly see other girls going down with 12 month knee injuries that not only ruin their football seasons but also impact their daily lives.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the research has shown it's partly because of how women's bodies are designed with, the wider hips, there is more pressure on their knees and ankles compared to men... So it doesn't appear like this issue is going to go away, and it's going to turn away a huge amount of young girls from playing when they constantly see other girls going down with 12 month knee injuries that not only ruin their football seasons but also impact their daily lives.

Be interesting to watch over the next few years. I doubt it'll change someone's interest in playing anymore than injuries in netball have over the years.

Its not great. But I think the research that's being done is positive. Its looking at both prevention and rehab. For the former, teaching girls better ways to use their bodies, train their knees, prepare before games, etc. There are also hormonal issues at play with these injuries, which can be anticipated and worked around. With rehab, its not all about surgery, but looking at other ways to treat the injured knee.

Hopefully, with this research, we can take baby steps forward, and get better at this.

Another area of interest is the crossover with men, and whether the research on women's ACLs has any or much relevance to men's ACLs.

Back