Recruiting AFLW Draft, Trade & Sign - 25 players re-signed, list is full, won't be drafting anyone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can we get Ruby Svarc back please? :)
Ruby is quick, really quick, but Catherine is better IMO. Only downside is she is already 30.

Hard to pry anyone away from Lions, but despite being a local girl, should have a look at Taylor Smith as a tall forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. Also Jade Ellenger who is really quick, has good skills and plays wing or as a medium sized fwd.

Ruby is quick, really quick, but Catherine is better IMO. Only downside is she is already 30.

Hard to pry anyone away from Lions, but despite being a local girl, should have a look at Taylor Smith as a tall forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. Also Jade Ellenger who is really quick, has good skills and plays wing or as a medium sized fwd.
Haha, Ruby used to play at my local club, that's why I want her.

A couple of our VFLW development list girls (U18 NGA affiliate players) should be playing for Vic Country in Adelaide today:

The teams aren't available, only squads, but DiDonato is definitely playing in #3

Playing on the wing, brown ponytail. Had a couple of touches in the second quarter but nothing noteworthy (other than that getting a touch that quarter was quite a feat for VC, SA are an extremely dominant side in the Champs).

Another day, another AFLW U18 Champs game – 2pm is Queensland vs Vic Metro, which should feature Abbey Baillie-McDonald (#5) and Reese Sutton (#2) from our VFLW Development list. Both girls are from Calder.

Live stream:

Thread:

Two of the first four Victorian draft picks are ours (don't know exactly which two, as we'll be alternating with Hawthorn as the other expansion team), so the bests for Vic Country and Vic Metro in the Champs are particularly interesting as well.

Montana Ham currently the standout for Vic Metro 😊

Sutton getting involved too which is good.

Two of the first four Victorian draft picks are ours (don't know exactly which two, as we'll be alternating with Hawthorn as the other expansion team), so the bests for Vic Country and Vic Metro in the Champs are particularly interesting as well.

Montana Ham currently the standout for Vic Metro 😊

Sutton getting involved too which is good.
Third time's a charm?

Third time's a charm?
Maybe!

"Tall inside midfielder Montana Ham is an imposing player at her best, and hard to stop at junior level. Already towering over most opponents at 178cm (and arguably taller), Ham has a powerful boot that is used to clear it from congestion when representing Western Jets or Vic Metro. One of two Jets young guns - with Charlotte Baskaran - who played from when they were 15-years-old, Ham has always been a future star in the making, starting as a forward, and progressing into the midfield. She can move well around the ground, take those contested marks and thump the ball forward to clear defensive zones, which really make her a valuable comodity within a team. Whilst a lot of the top Victorian talents are smaller players, Ham bucks that trend, and whilst she might have the size to ruck, she is a genuine midfielder who can rest forward and be a target.

In 2021, Ham averaged 18 disposals, 3.3 marks and 5.0 tackles at NAB League Girls level, then cracked in as the only bottom-ager to represent Vic Metro in both their AFLW Under 19 Championship games, managing 15 disposals and four tackles per match. It has put her in the conversation to be the favourite for the Victorian top pick, and whilst she still does have areas to improve on such as lowering her eyes and decision making at times, she has so many traits that can be built upon to be used as a real weapon at the top level. She is in the Top 5 of the Rookie Me AFLW Draft Power Rankings at the end of the 2020 year, having shown enough over the past three seasons to suggest she will be right up there at the pointy end."

178cm in the womens is kinda like a 195cm mid in the mens... the rucks in the AFLW are mostly around 180-182 (couple are taller but they're more like your Sandilands equivalent).

FORMER AFLW best and fairest Maddy Prespakis has opened up about her intentions to leave Carlton for Essendon, saying the lure of her childhood club was too strong.

Prespakis was at the MCG to help launch the new season of Auskick, describing running around in a Bombers jumper at Gisborne.

"It's very exciting, it's still all in the works, but I've openly committed to making the move to Essendon. It's been an exciting week, and it's the team I've barracked for all my life, so to be able to help build the new AFLW team is really exciting," Prespakis said.

"To be part of the inaugural team is really special. I've loved my time at Carlton, and I'll forever be grateful. I've achieved some great things there and been part of a special group of girls.

"My (footy pathway) was no different to the boys at the time, I started Auskick when I was four years old. I went down for pie night and get a free pie after training, and I was just a little girl who wanted to play footy.

"I never looked back and here I am today playing AFLW – I haven't stopped playing footy since that moment."

Prespakis has been an integral part of Carlton since joining the Blues with pick No.3 in the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft, winning the 2020 AFLW best and fairest and three consecutive club counts.

"At the end of the day, it comes down to yourself, and I had to put myself first. It was a tough decision, and it was quite daunting, and those who are really close to me knew exactly how I felt, especially when I did announce the move," the 21-year-old said.

"It was quite an emotional time, but also I felt very relieved and happy with what I've made for myself. Carlton have helped me in my four years in the AFLW, and three B&Fs, I wouldn't have done it without that club. I'm very grateful, but I'm also very grateful to start a new chapter of the next five to 10 years of my football career.

"Once I went to the club, they said I couldn't barrack for Essendon because it is a rival club. I'm sure when that time comes, like with any player who moves, you do expect a few boos, I've already received that on social media, so I expect that in person. But at the end of the day, it's football, and I love football and that's why I play."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sargent was named in the forward pocket in the RMC NAB League Girls Team of the Year last week - averaged 2.1 goals, 3.4 tackles per game.

NAB League Girls is the girls equivalent of the old TAC Cup (which is now known rather obviously as "NAB League Boys"). It is the premier U19s competition in Victoria.

Caitlin Sargent (Western Jets)​

A no brainer for the Team of the Year, Sargent lead all-comers by season’s end in the goalkicking, sharing the award initially with Murray’s Mindy Quade on 17 after the regular season, then kicked four more in finals to finish on 21. She was a force to be reckoned with inside Western’s forward 50, making a couple of Team of the Week’s, but kicking goals in all bar one game. Sargent averaged 9.2 disposals, 2.9 marks, 3.4 tackles and 1.9 inside 50s, and 2.1 goals per game as well.

So we have two tall forwards (Toogood and Sargent), a mid-forward (Gee) and two mids (Prespakis and Nanscawen) so far.

Our most experienced signing to date with 44 AFLW games. Everyone we've agreed to poach so far played every game last season and they're all mids and forwards 👀

Needs us a defender now.

CrowdedHouse.

Any trees with loose leaves?

Needs us a defender now.

CrowdedHouse.

Any trees with loose leaves?
Would be hard to pry anyone away from the Lions, particularly with their Captain turning attractive offers to move. But if we could, I would love to see us go hard after Natalie Grider. Still young at 31 and rarely gets beaten.

Breanna Koenan would be another, a very good one on one defender.

Then their is the Svarc sisters, Catherine another one who is very strong in a one on one role, or Ruby, an ex Essendon VFLW player, with plenty of dash of the half back line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back