Recruiting AFLW Draft, Trade & Sign - 25 players re-signed, list is full, won't be drafting anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Needs us a defender now.

CrowdedHouse.

Any trees with loose leaves?

Personally, I say for a tall defender we should sign Danielle Marshall from our VFLW, although there could be a late challenge for that spot from Bella Ayre (also VFLW list) - both with AFLW experience.

A name I'd watch for is Jess Duffin. Was stuck playing in the VFLW for North, and although on the older side, would be good for us for a year or two.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Personally, I say for a tall defender we should sign Danielle Marshall from our VFLW, although there could be a late challenge for that spot from Bella Ayre (also VFLW list) - both with AFLW experience.

A name I'd watch for is Jess Duffin. Was stuck playing in the VFLW for North, and although on the older side, would be good for us for a year or two.

Marshall and Toogood have history.
Right?

And Bella Ayre would've played alongside Jordan Zanchetta at Brisbane so they can be of help with regards to choosing someone.

As for Duffin, she'd've played alongside Cecilia McIntosh in year 1 and maybe year 2 before Duffin buggered off to North Melbourne.
Cricket would be my biggest concern with Duffin (nee Cameron) but, I go for Renegades so I'll allow this. :tonguewink:

ESSENDON
U18 academy/zone:
Nil
Open age: Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon VFLW), Caitlin Sargent (Western Jets)
AFLW players (committed, not yet officially signed): Steph Cain (Fremantle), Georgia Gee (Carlton), Maddy Prespakis (Carlton), Bonnie Toogood (Western Bulldogs)

So none from the NGA zone yet - none of the teams have signed from that mechanism so I wonder if there's a question or two there of how, when or how many can be signed.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
ONE OF US... ONE OF US... ONE OF US...

Another Essendon supporter (and now former Magpie), Sophie Alexander, commits to playing in the AFLW with the Bombers

Great another forward.

Just hope it leaves room for Frew, Tierney and McIntosh but Tierney could push up field.
Alexander is a tall utility so shouldn't get in the way of Frew and Tierney. Not sure if McIntosh is about to make a comeback to AFLW but if she did she'd be a small anyway. Gee is a forward/mid so we don't really have any true small forwards on the list yet.

Still no dates for trade period and the draft and the preseason has to start next month if they want Round 1 in August…

Isn't Sarge that small forward?
Sarge is tall. Gee is small, but there’s only one of her

FFADF088-4837-4843-B2C8-ACEA4F4DAF20.png

Ah yes. I can't stand it when nuffies ignore all the good reference material there is available to find out this stuff. Highly annoying.
Not at home so was easier haha 😝

WHAT

Toogood joins Carlton's Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee, Fremantle's Stephanie Cain, Collingwood's Sophie Alexander, Essendon VFLW players Georgia Nanscawen, Joanne Doonan, Jordan Zanchetta, Danielle Marshall and Federica Frew, alongside under-age signing Caitlin Sargent, on the Bombers' inaugural AFLW list.

How when wtf Doonan Zanchetta Marshall and Frew are on our AFLW list and they didn't announce it?????????????

And here's the announcement for those four joining the AFLW list, an hour after the Toogood article...

Essendon general manager of football Josh Mahoney said the four committing to the AFLW program was a fantastic reflection on the VFLW program.

“Our VFLW program has been building year on year and this season in particular is about two objectives - achieving team success and individual improvement,” Mahoney said.

“We have seen and are seeing both each week, with our team currently undefeated and a number of players having career-best seasons.

“We are excited to give four of our players the opportunity to represent Essendon in the AFLW and watch them develop further.”

AFLW contract manager Georgia Harvey said the club was proud of the four players and impressed by their VFLW performances.

“All four girls have shown that they can play consistent football at a high level during their time in the VFLW,” Harvey said.

“They have all worked extremely hard throughout the year to improve their skills and have demonstrated that they all have the ability to take their game to the next level.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back