Strategy AFLW List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

More than half of the Vic girls predicted to go top 40 in the draft are from Dandenong, Eastern or Sandringham, so we are one of the few clubs on their side of town. Hopefully they will be keepers.
How did we get pick 2 by the way?

It was random between the new clubs

Definitely exciting being able to draft 4 of the top 6 Victorian U19 girls in this years draft.

Hope we grab Montanna Ham with our first selection, she looks like she will be a star. 180cm mid bull who can also use her aerial strength to go forward and kick goals. A lot to like.

We have completed a pick swap to get Victorian pick 9 now also. Suspect this is pick #18 overall before state allocations.
This will see the Hawks receive pick No. 9 while the Tigers will receive picks No.16 and 18 in the Victorian draft pool.

Also another three players added from our VFLW list for the AFLW inagrual season

Hawthorn has signed a trio of talent heading into its inaugural AFLW season, with Ainslie Kemp, Isabelle Porter and Catherine Brown all committing to the club.

Ashmore now signed, with another pick swap also done if I'm reading correctly

The Hawks completed a trade for Ashmore on Tuesday, welcoming the 30-year-old as well as Picks 26 and 27 of the Victorian draft whilst giving Picks 23 and 41 to Melbourne and Pick 32 to Richmond as part of a three-way trade.

More pick exchanges

On Wednesday, the Hawks received Picks 12,14 and 31 from Carlton in exchange for Pick 9 while also gaining Picks 13 and 40 from North Melbourne whilst exchanging Picks 14, 29 and 31.

This leaves Hawthorn with Picks 1, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13 and 40 in the Victorian pool, bringing a close to a hugely successful Sign and Trade Period.
The recruiting team will now turn its attention to the NAB AFLW Draft on June 29.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting we haven't heard anything about Aine joining yet.

HAWTHORN is set to sign multi-talented Irishwoman Aine McDonagh to its inaugural list.

McDonagh plays Gaelic football for County Galway as a half-forward and midfielder and is also a basketballer with NUIG Mystics.

Womens.afl understands a few final details need to be ironed out, but McDonagh will be donning the brown and gold next season.

Imagine they're still negotiating it and there's no rush because it doesn't need to be a main squad signing.

What this "in the victorian pool", do they separate the regions?

yes, because its semi professional, they nominate a state they want to play in, so we get to pick a bunch of Victorian girls and the odd Tassie ect that nominate the Victorian Zone

Last edited:
yes, because its semi professional, they nominate a state they want to play in, so we get to pick a bunch of Victorian girls and the odd Tassie ect that nominate the Victorian Zone
I never knew this until recently.

I never knew this until recently.
here are my thoughts on the Victorian Prospects

i posted this in another place, but i had a quick look at some vic metro and vic country games at the champs, also someone told me highly fancied NSW player Goldsworthy has nominated the vic zone and is a mad hawks fan, so i came up with this list of who we might look at and players that i liked the look of

we have picks 1,3,5,6,11,12,13 and 40 in the Victorian Draft Zone

Pick 1 - Montana Ham - 180cm so KPP height for womens footy and a midfielder, not the quickest player, but works well on the inside, averages good numbers and can float forward and be a marking danger or goal kicker on the outside

Pick 2 - Ess likely taking Jasmine Fleming - 165cm endurance mid, runs all day and works the ball forward, pops up all over the ground

Pick 3 - Charlotte Baskaran - 162cm small but has a strong tackle technique, also runs good lines and has good averages in disposals ect, her and Jasmine Fleming are a coin toss as they both have advantages, Baskaran the more Burst mid and Fleming the more Endurance Sam Walsh type mid

Pick 4 - Ess likely taking Amber Clarke - 169cm quick forward, you know how our recruiters love speed in their forwards, so they would love Clarke here, but whispers are Essendon are keen

Pick 5 - Sofia Hurley - 166cm endurance runner and impactful winger that adds a lot of run and carry

Pick 6 - Zarlie Goldsworthy - 168cm strong midfield, moving from NSW Zone to Victoria and a mad hawks supporter

Pick 11 - Charlotte Taylor - 174cm tallish utility, saw her mostly as a forward and liked how she played her role

Pick 12 - Charley Ryan - 177cm highly skilled half back, hit some good long kicks and dared to take her chances and they paid off

Pick 13 - Bridie Hipwell - 174cm tallish mid/utility

Mia Busch - another really good endurance winger option, also can play as a run and carry player from defence, because we got Hurley i didnt add her, but i would also like us to pick her up depending on our needs and who gets picked from pick 7-10
McKenzie Eardley - KPP prospect, i thought she was ok, but people who have seen these girls play more than i have, have her highly rated, she has good speed from her combine tests, which again our recruiters love
Taylor Gatt - good disposer of the footy from half back
Lauren Elliot - brave aerial defender, she took a really impressive mark whilst under duress from an opponent not many could take, she has good footy instincts
Paige Scott - good aerially for a small forward, classy forward

these are just the players i like the look of, i've only seen a small sample of games.

Great write up Davo-27

The choice between Montana Ham and Jasmine Fleming is the one that intrigues me. From what I have read Fleming also plays cricket for Box Hill, so she is right under our noses and is also Hawks supporter. From what I read, she has great speed, a lethal right boot, strong character and is also late convert so she has plenty of upside. Apparently she enjoys watching Conti and Dangerfield as she shares a lot of similiar traits.

I just wonder if Montana Ham is good for age group because of how big she is compared to the other girls or if's a lot more than that.

What are thoughts on the choice between Montana Ham and Jasmine Fleming?

Great write up Davo-27

The choice between Montana Ham and Jasmine Fleming is the one that intrigues me. From what I have read Fleming also plays cricket for Box Hill, so she is right under our noses and is also Hawks supporter. From what I read, she has great speed, a lethal right boot, strong character and is also late convert so she has plenty of upside. Apparently she enjoys watching Conti and Dangerfield as she shares a lot of similiar traits.

I just wonder if Montana Ham is good for age group because of how big she is compared to the other girls or if's a lot more than that.

What are thoughts on the choice between Montana Ham and Jasmine Fleming?
Montana Ham seems to me to be a unique player in that she is so big for a midfielder, think Cripps/Bont//Fyfe type for the womens footy, she tackles hard which i like, she can also run on the outside, but doesnt as often as she could, when she floats forward she can pack mark like a key forward, she generally makes good decisions, in her interviews she seems like she has big goals, as a kid she wanted to make it in the AFL as the 1st woman player i believe she said, which shows a determination to make it.

Jasmine Fleming is an endurance midfielder, she will pop up on all lines and get plenty of the ball, she adds run and carry to the midfield, her disposal is ok, she kindve goes un-noticed at times but is a part of many links in plays, in mens footy she would be the Sam Walsh type

i guess the question is, do you want a prospect to be big unique potentially a power mid, or do you want a reliable endurance machine that will run all over the ground gathering poss?, i think Hams size is something that could help her have an impact in the AFLW

Montana Ham has being playing at the Western Jets for 4 years, so she debuted as a 15 yr old and has had years of 20.3, 18.0 and 24.1 disposals average each year since she was 16-17-18(consistently very good), she had a big AFLW Academy game, also averaging 23.3 disposals for Vic Metro(winning the MVP too), she has a high contested poss rate and handballs at a high rate, contested poss is a good indicator they will be valuable at the highest levels.

Jasmine Fleming has only been playing for 2 years and has stats of 20.0 and 25.7 so theres not much difference in the amount of disposals each player has, she averaged 22.5 for Vic Metro as well, she is more the handball receiver and runner, very similar to a Sam Walsh, the Patrick Dangerfield comparison is an odd one because he relies on power and being a strong bodied presence whereas Fleming is more the run her opponents off their feet and get involved in as many links of play as possible

thats why i choose Ham over Fleming, they have similar numbers of poss, Fleming kicks more goals consistently which is a huge plus for her, but the size and contested side of Hams game will translate better as an inside mid and her size and weight helps with tackling and her solid marking ability, we're also forgetting Charlotte Baskaran who i also consider worthy of this conversation for pick 1, she is a ferocious tackler and has a real desire to make it and even hopes to coach at the AFLW level some day, she also stood out to me with some of her efforts for Vic Metro which caught my eye, the way she runs lines and can burst out of a pack, her tackling is brave and strong, she makes good decisions and she seems a real social butterfly in her interviews too.

the good news is, we get 2 of Ham, Fleming and Baskaran, i would take Ham and whoever Essendon doesnt take.

*just some of my thoughts, im not an expert on AFLW or the AFLW draft, i've only seen a few games so dont take my thoughts too seriously because i dont profess to be that well versed on womens footy, just my thoughts on what i've seen.

Last edited:
Montana Ham seems to me to be a unique player in that she is so big for a midfielder, think Cripps/Bont//Fyfe type for the womens footy, she tackles hard which i like, she can also run on the outside, but doesnt as often as she could, when she floats forward she can pack mark like a key forward, she generally makes good decisions, in her interviews she seems like she has big goals, as a kid she wanted to make it in the AFL as the 1st woman player i believe she said, which shows a determination to make it.

Jasmine Fleming is an endurance midfielder, she will pop up on all lines and get plenty of the ball, she adds run and carry to the midfield, her disposal is ok, she kindve goes un-noticed at times but is a part of many links in plays, in mens footy she would be the Sam Walsh type

i guess the question is, do you want a prospect to be big unique potentially a power mid, or do you want a reliable endurance machine that will run all over the ground gathering poss?, i think Hams size is something that could help her have an impact in the AFLW

Montana Ham has being playing at the Western Jets for 4 years, so she debuted as a 15 yr old and has had years of 20.3, 18.0 and 24.1 disposals average each year since she was 16-17-18(consistently very good), she had a big AFLW Academy game, also averaging 23.3 disposals for Vic Metro(winning the MVP too), she has a high contested poss rate and handballs at a high rate, contested poss is a good indicator they will be valuable at the highest levels.

Jasmine Fleming has only been playing for 2 years and has stats of 20.0 and 25.7 so theres not much difference in the amount of disposals each player has, she averaged 22.5 for Vic Metro as well, she is more the handball receiver and runner, very similar to a Sam Walsh, the Patrick Dangerfield comparison is an odd one because he relies on power and being a strong bodied presence whereas Fleming is more the run her opponents off their feet and get involved in as many links of play as possible

thats why i choose Ham over Fleming, they have similar numbers of poss, Fleming kicks more goals consistently which is a huge plus for her, but the size and contested side of Hams game will translate better as an inside mid and her size and weight helps with tackling and her solid marking ability, we're also forgetting Charlotte Baskaran who i also consider worthy of this conversation for pick 1, she is a ferocious tackler and has a real desire to make it and even hopes to coach at the AFLW level some day, she also stood out to me with some of her efforts for Vic Metro which caught my eye, the way she runs lines and can burst out of a pack, her tackling is brave and strong, she makes good decisions and she seems a real social butterfly in her interviews too.

the good news is, we get 2 of Ham, Fleming and Baskaran, i would take Ham and whoever Essendon doesnt take.

*just some of my thoughts, im not an expert on AFLW or the AFLW draft, i've only seen a few games so dont take my thoughts too seriously because i dont profess to be that well versed on womens footy, just my thoughts on what i've seen.
Thanks Davo. I really appreciate your very well thought out analysis on both players.

You have me sold on Ham with the top pick.

Good news is that with 4 of top 6 Vic girls, we can't really lose with such a strong draft hand.

Like yourself I hope we get Ham, Baskaran, Hurley and Goldsworthy with our first 4 selections.

Will be exciting to see who we get on draft day (June 29).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back