Autopsy AFLW Melbourne totally monster Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a draft rule that says we can only keep that many? 20 out of a squad of how many?
Yeah I heard them mention it during one of the games. List is at 27, so we have to cut 7, but after that I'm not sure how it works. Maybe either take 7 via a draft, or 4/5/6 in the draft, with 3/2/1 Free Agents. Would be nice to get priority on the ones we've cut.

Is it me or is 7 a huge number from a list that size? I don't know much about list management but I'm guessing its about creating opportunities for up and coming players.

You'd think with the lists (hopefully) expanding to at least 30 (ideally 32) that wouldn't necessarily be an issue (particularly when you factor in the few that would've probably been delisted regardless). Anyway, this still hasn't been officially confirmed anywhere but when it is I'd be interested in hearing the justification.

Is it me or is 7 a huge number from a list that size? I don't know much about list management but I'm guessing its about creating opportunities for up and coming players.
Seems it yeah. Tho for a team like us, the Lions and the Crows, it'd probably be pretty tough, but other teams would likely find it a bit more difficult.

Cutting at least 3 from a list of 30 would be ideal, minimum of 10% list turn over each year.

Plenty of time between now and then tho, seems odd that now presumably we'll hear little about the AFLW until about October

Seems it yeah. Tho for a team like us, the Lions and the Crows, it'd probably be pretty tough, but other teams would likely find it a bit more difficult.

Cutting at least 3 from a list of 30 would be ideal, minimum of 10% list turn over each year.

Plenty of time between now and then tho, seems odd that now presumably we'll hear little about the AFLW until about October
Think I read the other day there'll be a trade period in May.

You'd think with the lists (hopefully) expanding to at least 30 (ideally 32) that wouldn't necessarily be an issue (particularly when you factor in the few that would've probably been delisted regardless). Anyway, this still hasn't been officially confirmed anywhere but when it is I'd be interested in hearing the justification.
I think they're also worried about player losses and being able to reallocate talent.

There's definitely some players that are gone. Kate Sheehan is done for sure. Some of the older players at Collingwood would be touch and go too in favour of pace. GWS could cull 12-13 if they can convince players to head up there.

My thought is that they want to force some delisting so it might spread the talent back out to some of the weaker sides, but then at the same time you don't want to overcook the issue.

7 seems too high, particularly given the thought around an increased list size. I think it should be 3 or 4 - personally think it should be 3 given you're coupling it with an increased list size. 3 makes it an 8-round draft to get all lists up to 32.

Hey I follow Mel Hickey on Insta and reckon she's an absolute star.
She seems to post a lot of photos with Katie Brennan. Are the two in a relationship?
If so, good on them!!! And how soon can we get Katie across to the Dees!?
Did it ever occur to you that they where friends at their former club before they got drafted? Why does it gotta be a relationship?

Did it ever occur to you that they where friends at their former club before they got drafted? Why does it gotta be a relationship?
Hey easy, was an honest question.
Why offence taken? You're making a delicate issue of something that shouldn't be.
They may very well be friends and that's fine I was just curious.

Hey easy, was an honest question.
Why offence taken? You're making a delicate issue of something that shouldn't be.
They may very well be friends and that's fine I was just curious.
Sorry, i guess i responded a little harshly, not my intention.

Sorry, i guess i responded a little harshly, not my intention.
All good mate, you're normally fairly placid.
I was genuinely interested as to whether they were just friends or in a relationship.
I am not affected one way or the other.
If they are I think it's great.
There are reportedly quite a few girls in the league who are open about their homosexuality and that's a good thing.
It's a shame the blokes can't be so open or don't feel they can be anyway.

Hey I follow Mel Hickey on Insta and reckon she's an absolute star.
She seems to post a lot of photos with Katie Brennan. Are the two in a relationship?
If so, good on them!!! And how soon can we get Katie across to the Dees!?

Not sure but I follow Katie and noticed the same thing.

Can't see any marquee players leaving their original clubs though, especially ones like Brennan and Pearce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure but I follow Katie and noticed the same thing.

Can't see any marquee players leaving their original clubs though, especially ones like Brennan and Pearce.
Cheers mate.
Ah yes, I forgot Brennan was also a marquee.
FWIW I think she owns her own fitness studio too. Killing it!

Cheers mate.
Ah yes, I forgot Brennan was also a marquee.
FWIW I think she owns her own fitness studio too. Killing it!

Reckon a lot of girls will do extremely well out of AFLW and the spotlight/opportunity it gives. They're just as marketable as the men and the league is 1 year old, imagine what it'll be like in 5-10 years.

Reckon a lot of girls will do extremely well out of AFLW and the spotlight/opportunity it gives. They're just as marketable as the men and the league is 1 year old, imagine what it'll be like in 5-10 years.
Yeah I completely agree and good on them.
Now that there is a clear goal for girls to aim at, watch the lower league numbers swell and increase the talent pool.
The depth of each side will get better each year to that point that in 5-10 years like you say, the comp will be really strong and should be well supported.
The girls I've heard interviewed or commentate hold themselves as well if not better than many of the blokes.

Yeah I completely agree and good on them.
Now that there is a clear goal for girls to aim at, watch the lower league numbers swell and increase the talent pool.
The depth of each side will get better each year to that point that in 5-10 years like you say, the comp will be really strong and should be well supported.
The girls I've heard interviewed or commentate hold themselves as well if not better than many of the blokes.
I reckon part of that is because they've had less media training, but also partly because they're not full time athletes yet so have some life experience and are actual rounded people rather than going straight from high school to being totally absorbed in a footy club 24/7. I can't imagine it's particularly good for personal development tbh

I reckon part of that is because they've had less media training, but also partly because they're not full time athletes yet so have some life experience and are actual rounded people rather than going straight from high school to being totally absorbed in a footy club 24/7. I can't imagine it's particularly good for personal development tbh
100% agree mate.
There would be plenty of footballers who have short careers in the AFL and come out at the other end of it with not much else to go onto.
Plenty of blokes had long careers and still managed to bugger it up afterwards also for that matter.

I think they're also worried about player losses and being able to reallocate talent.

There's definitely some players that are gone. Kate Sheehan is done for sure. Some of the older players at Collingwood would be touch and go too in favour of pace. GWS could cull 12-13 if they can convince players to head up there.

My thought is that they want to force some delisting so it might spread the talent back out to some of the weaker sides, but then at the same time you don't want to overcook the issue.

7 seems too high, particularly given the thought around an increased list size. I think it should be 3 or 4 - personally think it should be 3 given you're coupling it with an increased list size. 3 makes it an 8-round draft to get all lists up to 32.

Isn't three the minimum for the AFL? Seems crazy that the AFLW would be seven when their list is nearly half the size.

Isn't three the minimum for the AFL? Seems crazy that the AFLW would be seven when their list is nearly half the size.
Three is the AFL minimum but I think they are worried about some sides being stuck with the leftovers and not having enough talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back