Game Day AFLW Non North Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Molloy outstanding that quarter. Think Collingwood's O'Dea and Lambert have been great too.

Presparkis is obviously a star and probably the best ball user in the league, but not enough risk or damage in her touches so far. She's getting no help in that midfield either.

Molloy outstanding that quarter. Think Collingwood's O'Dea and Lambert have been great too.

Presparkis is obviously a star and probably the best ball user in the league, but not enough risk or damage in her touches so far. She's getting no help in that midfield either.
She is a lone hand at the minute. The pies intensity is killing them.

While you might expect something similar if an expansion team was involved, it's really not a good look for the competition when there is a total of 1 behind scored in a quarter and 1 team (that went 5-1 last season) is scoreless at half time!

While you might expect something similar if an expansion team was involved, it's really not a good look for the competition when there is a total of 1 behind scored in a quarter and 1 team (that went 5-1 last season) is scoreless at half time!
I get your point but I don’t mind it that much, the scoring across in the men’s and women’s games was pretty low last year. It’s a pretty evenly matched contest and one team looks a bit rustier than the other.

I think we know what we get from AFLW. 0.0-0 v 0.1-1 at 1/4 time and 0.0-0 v 4.2-26 looks, and probably is, bad. But, it would be more surprising if it was 9 goals each. It's like it's a totally different sport to the men's game (for which high scoring wasn't a feature in 2020 anyway).

Either enjoy it for what it is, or ignore it.

For me, I don't watch much of it. It isn't good enough. But not because they are women. Whilst I like the sport, I don't have the time or energy to commit to all of it unconditionally. I don't watch much VFL for the same reason. I don't watch Shield matches in cricket for the same reason. I'd rather watch EPL than A-League for the same reason.

O'dea for the pies kinda looks like Ben Brown.

And wears the 50 too.

1611826128092.png

Having a ripper game too

Actually a very good game tonight, even though Carlton are the premiership favourites, I think we can do better!

On a personal note (because I am a woman), I cannot stand the backlash AFLW is getting from the ‘boys’. Like we know that men are naturally more athletic than Women and they don’t need to be criticised by some nobody hiding behind a screen. They are professional athletes trying their best, just as the men do to play this wonderful game. It also shows their fragile egos that they have to compare themselves to the other sex because they know they aren’t good enough. Rant over hahaha.

Last edited:
Actually a very good game tonight, even though Carlton are the premiership favourites, I think we can do better!

On a personal note (because I am a women), I cannot stand the backlash AFLW is getting from the ‘boys’. Like we know that men are naturally more athletic than Women and they don’t need to be criticised by some nobody hiding behind a screen. They are professional athletes trying their best, just as the men do to play this wonderful game. It also shows their fragile egos that they have to compare themselves to the other sex because they know they aren’t good enough. Rant over hahaha.

Carlton and hype = fake news

Let them never change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a personal note (because I am a woman), I cannot stand the backlash AFLW is getting from the ‘boys’. Like we know that men are naturally more athletic than Women and they don’t need to be criticised by some nobody hiding behind a screen. They are professional athletes trying their best, just as the men do to play this wonderful game. It also shows their fragile egos that they have to compare themselves to the other sex because they know they aren’t good enough. Rant over hahaha.

Woh there. I think you misinterpret. Standard & entertainment (as well as scoring) - while always in the eye of the beholder - are 2 completely different things. Look at the women's a-league; it's free-flowing, quite entertaining & often contains many goals. Off subject a little, many people like U.S college gridiron over the NFL for the same reason. In the EPL just 2 weeks ago, the Liverpool vs Man Utd 0-0 game was widely regarded as boring.

Anyway, I'm glad the game opened up in the 2nd half & the scoring improved. Because I do think the AFLW will prioritise scoring in the future, just like the AFL "try" to. I'd think that if Richmond & Carlton came out in 7 or 8 weeks time and had the same qtr & half time scores, then the same comments will be bandied about.

Last edited:
Woh there. I think you misinterpret. Standard & entertainment (as well as scoring) - while always in the eye of the beholder - are 2 completely different things. Look at the women's a-league; it's free-flowing, quite entertaining & often contains many goals. Off subject a little, many people like U.S college gridiron over the NFL for the same reason. In the EPL just 2 weeks ago, the Liverpool vs Man Utd 0-0 game was widely regarded as boring.

Anyway, I'm glad the game opened up in the 2nd half & the scoring improved. Because I do think the AFLW will prioritise scoring in the future, just like the AFL "try" to. I'd think that if Richmond & Carlton came out in 7 or 8 weeks time and had the same qtr & half time scores, then the same comments will be bandied about.

I’m not misinterpreting anything, there is A LOT of comments from teenage boys saying how s**t it is and making a mockery out of it. I have literally played soccer at a high level now I have an invitation to train at Carlton in March. Yes AFLW games can be sloppy and of lower skill but that doesn’t mean boys should be outright rude.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not misinterpreting anything, there is A LOT of comments from teenage boys saying how sh*t it is and making a mockery out of it. I have literally played soccer at a high level now I have an invitation to train at Carlton in March. Yes AFLW games can be sloppy and of lower skill but that doesn’t mean boys should be outright rude.

Ok, fair enough. I thought you were referring to my post #7 above. Because I definitely ain't a teenager LOL.

IMO, it's not the sloppiness or standard, but the lack of scoring which wasn't a great look early tonight.

Ok, fair enough. I thought you were referring to my post #7 above. Because I definitely ain't a teenager LOL.

IMO, it's not the sloppiness or standard, but the lack of scoring which wasn't a great look early tonight.

Nah lol I was referring to Instagram comments lmao.

That is also true but it’s gonna evolve over the years!

I’m not misinterpreting anything, there is A LOT of comments from teenage boys saying how sh*t it is and making a mockery out of it. I have literally played soccer at a high level now I have an invitation to train at Carlton in March. Yes AFLW games can be sloppy and of lower skill but that doesn’t mean boys should be outright rude.

Good luck at the Blues, that's unreal!

Good luck with Carlton. ... I guess....

Nah really - good one.

I think it's both sachx, as in both views have merit. The women's games have a different flow to them, and that's okay. As a woman myself, I'm sensitive to the judgement cast on the women's team by SOME on here - but that's only a small portion of posters on this male-dominated forum. There's a lot of male posters on here who are really supportive of our women's team. The AFLW player sponsor thread is a good place to find a lot of them, and kudos to them all for getting on board and following our AFLW as closely as they do the men's, and with fair judgement and intelligent discussion.

That being said, I'm not on social media of any kind. Those forums can be pretty full of hateful and unintelligent commentary. And yeah, there is some of it on here too, but like I said it's really relegated to a very small number of posters - and with really only one in particular who comes to my mind as being consistently aggressive and vitriolic towards the women's competition.

As for the other side of the "both" views, the flow of the AFLW games is transforming as the sport goes, and anyone who watches our female Roos play will KNOW that there have been extended stretches over the last couple years where our AFLW matches were far superior and heaps more exciting than our men's team was going at the time. Jazzy Garner was hands down our best player too. Across both comps.

It's all fluid, like most things in life, and the times they are a changing. The men who bleat and stomp their feet in tantrums about women's footy having the audacity to exist in their tiny little worlds will one day be a creature of the past. We are going forward.

Best of luck at the Blues sachx. Keep us posted on how things go!:thumbsu:

Pies looked good and after our practice game loss it makes me feel a bit better - but it's hardly surprising. Lambert is a wonderful player and with Davey gives them a great start around the ball, their defence around Stacks is very solid, Molloy has star quality, and they work very hard. The only mystery is how their previous coach got so little out of them. Now they can afford to have Gowans as an assistant, their off-field resources are very strong.

Having said that, "stamped themselves as flag favorites" after one game is ludicrous. Carlton was and is being talked up but they aren't as great as all that - I was surprised they were favourites last night, let alone that anyone would see them as a competition benchmark. Last season, Freo were way out on front with North not far behind and a gap to the rest. I'd be waiting to see what those two teams look like for a start before talking about premiership contenders.

I think it's both sachx, as in both views have merit. The women's games have a different flow to them, and that's okay. As a woman myself, I'm sensitive to the judgement cast on the women's team by SOME on here - but that's only a small portion of posters on this male-dominated forum. There's a lot of male posters on here who are really supportive of our women's team. The AFLW player sponsor thread is a good place to find a lot of them, and kudos to them all for getting on board and following our AFLW as closely as they do the men's, and with fair judgement and intelligent discussion.

That being said, I'm not on social media of any kind. Those forums can be pretty full of hateful and unintelligent commentary. And yeah, there is some of it on here too, but like I said it's really relegated to a very small number of posters - and with really only one in particular who comes to my mind as being consistently aggressive and vitriolic towards the women's competition.

As for the other side of the "both" views, the flow of the AFLW games is transforming as the sport goes, and anyone who watches our female Roos play will KNOW that there have been extended stretches over the last couple years where our AFLW matches were far superior and heaps more exciting than our men's team was going at the time. Jazzy Garner was hands down our best player too. Across both comps.

It's all fluid, like most things in life, and the times they are a changing. The men who bleat and stomp their feet in tantrums about women's footy having the audacity to exist in their tiny little worlds will one day be a creature of the past. We are going forward.

Best of luck at the Blues sachx. Keep us posted on how things go!:thumbsu:

Definitely!! I was just ranting about stupid 15 year old boys thank you so much!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back