Game Day AFLW North Melbourne vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Just home from the game, how good was that!?

I have a real chip on my shoulder about this North Melbourne - Tasmania "official" name of our team. Should never have had to happen.

It's absolute cr@p we didn't get in as one of the original eight teams, we actually had a long standing relationship with the Melb Uni women's team and had demonstrated a commitment to it for some time, I can see why the Dogs, the Dees and the four interstate teams were selected, but it's cr@p Carlton and Collingwood were the other two, so unlike the AFL to give them a leg up!

Then when they were expanding, we should have been an automatic first choice, but no, we have to compromise and agree to also represent Tasmania in order to be selected ahead of teams like * and Hawthorn (who both said publicly when it started, that a women's team wasn't in their plans, but changed their minds when it became cool!) Just to get what we should have already had, it has to be done with sh!thouse compromise!

Anyway, it's always p!ssed me off, so it was great to absolutely smash those pricks from across Flemington Rd today!
Doesn’t matter, we’re in, Tassie will get a team and we will just be North Melbourne. They did what they had to and stuck it up the comp by being good. We have had our draft hand downgraded and fixtures stacked against us, poor umpiring and anything else you can imagine and we are kicking ass and looking like a team that will give it a real shake. I love these girls and how they go about it!

Just home from the game, how good was that!?

I have a real chip on my shoulder about this North Melbourne - Tasmania "official" name of our team. Should never have had to happen.

It's absolute cr@p we didn't get in as one of the original eight teams, we actually had a long standing relationship with the Melb Uni women's team and had demonstrated a commitment to it for some time, I can see why the Dogs, the Dees and the four interstate teams were selected, but it's cr@p Carlton and Collingwood were the other two, so unlike the AFL to give them a leg up!

Then when they were expanding, we should have been an automatic first choice, but no, we have to compromise and agree to also represent Tasmania in order to be selected ahead of teams like * and Hawthorn (who both said publicly when it started, that a women's team wasn't in their plans, but changed their minds when it became cool!) Just to get what we should have already had, it has to be done with sh!thouse compromise!

Anyway, it's always p!ssed me off, so it was great to absolutely smash those pricks from across Flemington Rd today!
All of this is true, no doubt. But there is a flip side to it which is that our AFLW program actually generates money for the club rather than loses money, as pretty much every other W team does.

Garner and Riddell both stars, but Mia King is developing beautifully while under the radar, key part of our gun midfield, especially while Bruton is out.
Mia King has become the centrepiece of what is a very good midfield unit. Absolute gun!

Jas was very good, Ash was exceptional. The backline was impassable. I thought Taylah Gatt had another really good game. Gav has significantly improved on last year, Tripodi was a lot more comfortable and did some nice things. I think they have the mix pretty much right. Go Roos!

The crowd was pretty subdued for most of the game. It was scrappy and honestly from my seats hard to tell exactly what was happening, especially in the first half.

I agree. Crowd was pretty low energy compared to the absolute shellacking taking place on-field.

Garner obviously a class above. Just moves so differently to most others. A genuine star of the game and a legitimate bulldozer

Some of the interplay between Garner Riddell and King/Rennie in the ruck was magnificent and served it up to the forwards on a platter

Thought the backline as a whole was very good. Bresnehan is quietly becoming a very influential player as she moves a touch further up the ground. Gatt and Eddey is a very dangerous wing combination particularly as Gatt cleans up her disposal. Thought today was close to the best I've seen from Eddey.

Even our "less-than-topliners" like Mia King, Alice O'Loughlin, Ellie Gavalas, Lulu Pullar etc were clean and generated run and pressure. Really complete performance against what has to be said was a very lacklustre Carlton. Not really sure what's going on there, couldn't get it anywhere near Vescio to let them use their obvious talent; I did like the games of Pound and Moody, and Hill battled well

Kellie Underwood is phenomenally bad at her job

My daughter got a signed footy from Amy Smith at the end and she's been on cloud nine eve since.

View attachment 1799470
your daughter was just down from us and we pointed to Amy to give it to her....She took her time saying hi and thanks to everyone for coming...

One thing I noticed in the commentary- underwoods referred to Vescio as ‘she’ which sort of stood out. To my pleasant surprise was Krakouer using they/them, good comments on how plays were setup/unfolding, and at one point he corrected himself when he said ‘big ladies…sorry, tall ladies up forward…’ or similar. Anyway, double thumbs up for Krakouer I thought he was fantastic and I never would have guessed he was so engaged in AFLW.

One thing I noticed in the commentary- underwoods referred to Vescio as ‘she’ which sort of stood out. To my pleasant surprise was Krakouer using they/them, good comments on how plays were setup/unfolding, and at one point he corrected himself when he said ‘big ladies…sorry, tall ladies up forward…’ or similar. Anyway, double thumbs up for Krakouer I thought he was fantastic and I never would have guessed he was so engaged in AFLW.
Yeah did notice that from Underwood. She corrected herself and starting using "they/them" after half time but for the whole first half was using "she". I didn't think Vescio's non-binary status was so much of a secret that the AFLW's marquee commentator wouldnt know about it

Krakouer was really good. He has hosted Yokayi previously? Thought he was a little bit hesitant at the start of the game but really worked into it as he went. Enjoyed his comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garner obviously a class above. Just moves so differently to most others. A genuine star of the game and a legitimate bulldozer

Some of the interplay between Garner Riddell and King/Rennie in the ruck was magnificent and served it up to the forwards on a platter

Well worth noting on that point that there is always a sweeper in every centre bounce set up making sure that when we don't manage to win the clearance and run away with the ball, that the opposition is under pressure and their clearance is scrappy. The contribution of the third midfielder is so often overlooked when Jas and Ash rack up 35+ possessions each. Whether it's Mia, or Amy Smith, or Super Gav or one of the others running through the middle, that defensive role is so important.

your daughter was just down from us and we pointed to Amy to give it to her....She took her time saying hi and thanks to everyone for coming...

Well then! Thanks!

Good result

Forward line looks better when there’s no ruck up there.
Eddy I like a lot - very clean and assured with ball in hand.
Backline was brilliant and garner /Riddell as well.
Totally agree and loved the run and defensive efforts of Emma and Erika off the backline...

Up till now observations of AFL have shaped my perpsective on AFLW.

Well the time has come for some "food for thought" traffic going the other way.

Based on the transition of Kearney to the backline - competitor, smart, team focused, fit but not super skillful - who could do this in the AFL team?

Simpkin immediately came to mind. Similar skillset and character, wonder if he could similarly drop back as a productive member and leader in the backline?

Up till now observations of AFL have shaped my perpsective on AFLW.

Well the time has come for some "food for thought" traffic going the other way.

Based on the transition of Kearney to the backline - competitor, smart, team focused, fit but not super skillful - who could do this in the AFL team?

Simpkin immediately came to mind. Similar skillset and character, wonder if he could similarly drop back as a productive member and leader in the backline?

They tried (and failed) with Luke McDonald.

Jack Ziebell did okay but was inconsistent.

I reckon the next cab off the rank could be Tarryn Thomas. Good footy IQ and vision, and can run and carry well. Also frees up Brayden George, Harry Sheezel, and maybe even a Nick Watson to play forward next year.

To my pleasant surprise was Krakouer using they/them, good comments on how plays were setup/unfolding, and at one point he corrected himself when he said ‘big ladies…sorry, tall ladies up forward…’ or similar.
I noticed this too! And it came so naturally to him as well. Not as pushy as some other commentators (looking at Akermanis on the ABC as a standout, expert train wreck), I really liked Krakouer's style.

They tried (and failed) with Luke McDonald.

Jack Ziebell did okay but was inconsistent.

I reckon the next cab off the rank could be Tarryn Thomas. Good footy IQ and vision, and can run and carry well. Also frees up Brayden George, Harry Sheezel, and maybe even a Nick Watson to play forward next year.

I was directly looking for a Kearney equivalent mate. Not suggesting Simpkin to HBF would be my dream move (agree TT would be better), more wondering who is the nearest like for like you for Emma in our AFL team you could use for a bit of a spitballing discussion.

Has that Carey like thing where she's absolutely a physical beast who intimidates those around her, while also having the most delicate skills and balance.

I was directly looking for a Kearney equivalent mate. Not suggesting Simpkin to HBF would be my dream move (agree TT would be better), more wondering who is the nearest like for like you for Emma in our AFL team you could use for a bit of a spitballing discussion.

Ziebell was the perfect Kearney comp but he's gone and retired on us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back