AFLW AFLW Season 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, 2 girls were not offered contracts.
Yeah, so in a sense they could have just gotten them as DFA, which effectively they just have been thrown in this deal for nothing given you'd be giving them away for nothing anyway.

Probably didn't have much leg to stand on by not offering them a contract. Can't protest too much.

So these two just wanted to go back home.

Perry and Hammond are South Australians and were keen to return home after several years playing interstate.
Yorston had been exploring her options outside of the Suns, including with Sydney, with partner Tanah Boyd an NRL player with Gold Coast.

Only Yorston and Surman are losses. Heslop pretty good too. It looks like 5 of our girls will end up in Port according to article.

How good is Courtney Jones?

Courtney Jones had a great year, missing one round for Covid protocols. Her 2 best games were against Brisbane and Gold Coast IMO.

We played her up forward and she is good for a goal per game but she can play midfield. You will love her ferocity. She hits hard and her tackles stick. Has a little bit of white line fever I think.

Good decision maker and great attitude.

The trade is an interesting one. She was one of our 3 break out players this season and we value her highly, even if we make excuses why it's okay to lose her.

With your Port pick, you now have 1 and 2 in the Qld draft. I assume Alana Gee is your first choice but the second highest rated player is your academy captain.

Carlton would be targeting one of those first 2 picks as they are worth quite a bit in the Victorian draft.

#19 is worth #10 in the Vic draft and #34 is worth #19 in the Vic draft. The thing is though, if you were going to use one for Jones, it doesn't matter to you which one as you'd still have the #1 pick in Qld.

The staredown comes if you offer up #49 or whatever your 3rd pick is as it is way unders for us but you'd get Jones and retain #1 and #2 in the Qld draft.

I believe there are 3 Qlders in rookiemecentrals top 40 power rankings and Gee is substantially above the other 2 so you may still get the 2nd player you want anyway.

It would be a massive favour for us if we get 19 as we have lost so many but would have 4 picks in the compromised top 20 in the Vic draft.

absolute ******* shambles. gutted about heslop too, thought she was great for us.

really seemed like we had a decent season compared to last, where did it all go wrong?

Courtney Jones had a great year, missing one round for Covid protocols. Her 2 best games were against Brisbane and Gold Coast IMO.

We played her up forward and she is good for a goal per game but she can play midfield. You will love her ferocity. She hits hard and her tackles stick. Has a little bit of white line fever I think.

Good decision maker and great attitude.

The trade is an interesting one. She was one of our 3 break out players this season and we value her highly, even if we make excuses why it's okay to lose her.

With your Port pick, you now have 1 and 2 in the Qld draft. I assume Alana Gee is your first choice but the second highest rated player is your academy captain.

Carlton would be targeting one of those first 2 picks as they are worth quite a bit in the Victorian draft.

#19 is worth #10 in the Vic draft and #34 is worth #19 in the Vic draft. The thing is though, if you were going to use one for Jones, it doesn't matter to you which one as you'd still have the #1 pick in Qld.

The staredown comes if you offer up #49 or whatever your 3rd pick is as it is way unders for us but you'd get Jones and retain #1 and #2 in the Qld draft.

I believe there are 3 Qlders in rookiemecentrals top 40 power rankings and Gee is substantially above the other 2 so you may still get the 2nd player you want anyway.

It would be a massive favour for us if we get 19 as we have lost so many but would have 4 picks in the compromised top 20 in the Vic draft.
Not every player is in the QLD pool. Both clubs get priority access to their academy kids.

Only mature age players out of the QAFLW, or interstate players who nominate Qld, go in to the QLD pool.

So if GC are only drafting kids out of their academy, then they could have the last 5 picks in the draft, and still get the kids they want.

Genuinely not wanting to stir sh!t with this post.

I noticed over the last couple of seasons GC has recruited a few interstate mature age players to fill out your list.

I always thought they were likely to go home once the league expanded to 18 teams. These girls were likely to have been chasing the dream of playing AFLW, rather than having an attachment to GC.

The consolation I can see, is that your academy is pumping out a lot of talented kids, and that your probably going have stronger drafts than every Vic club (bar maybe North) will probably have over the next 5 years.

It’s only a matter of time until your playing finals and challenging for a flag.

Not every player is in the QLD pool. Both clubs get priority access to their academy kids.

Only mature age players out of the QAFLW, or interstate players who nominate Qld, go in to the QLD pool.

So if GC are only drafting kids out of their academy, then they could have the last 5 picks in the draft, and still get the kids they want.

So driving a hard bargain in a pick trade for a player is fairly pointless? #19 for Jones please Suns, thank you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So driving a hard bargain in a pick trade for a player is fairly pointless? #19 for Jones please Suns, thank you.
Depends if they have convinced an interstate draftee or mature age player to join them, who has to nominate the QLD zone for the draft.

Or if they have another trade in the works for another good player.

Plus the first QLD zone drafted player still gets a bonus from the AFLW, so there’s a bit of cache to holding the first zone pick.

How many potential draftees do you have? GC and NT?
Sorry, I don't know too much about available girls and their talent. I assume the best are Gee and Davies, but most probably more good talent available in academy worth drafting. I suspect some other contributors here could give you more qualified answer.

Sorry, I don't know too much about available girls and their talent. I assume the best are Gee and Davies, but most probably more good talent available in academy worth drafting. I suspect some other contributors here could give you more qualified answer.

Probably Alana Gee Fleur Davies Jasmyn Smith Imogen Evans

Loosely followed her since Brisbane drafted her and found out she was a Gold Coaster. She's had an interesting journey - born in Adelaide and moved to the GC at 8 years of age where she initially chased a career in tennis and even went to the United States on a scholarship to play college tennis for Norfolk University but never quite made the grade at the professional level. Upon returning to Australia she was encouraged by her brothers to play footy and fell in love with the game. Two years later in 2017 she ends up on the Brisbane Lions AFLW list. She never debuted for Brisbane but continued to play QAFLW footy for Bond University and was a part of their rise up the ranks from Division 1 to the top state league.

Now she gets a second chance with us at 27 years of age. I hope she makes it as this would be a great story of never giving up on the dream of playing football at the highest level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back