Rumour AFLW player refuses to wear pride jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not comparable at all with the Essendon CEO situation. However this is very comparable to the s**t storm those Manly(?) players caused in the NRL by choosing not to play in their equivalent pride game. You could argue the player chose not to play more so to appease her family in a more cultural sense (which is what I've read on social media) but then you could argue the same for the mostly islander NRL players too.

1000 times?

Does Thorburn's religion throw gay people from buildings?

Irrelevant as it doesn't apply to Australia.

We all so how toxic many of Australia's Christian community behaved when the same sex marriage vote took place.

I think you are ignoring the many nutters that are involved in Thorburn's Church and how Essendon risked losing thousands of club members if they kept him on as CEO (also for his Church's abhorrent views about abortions)

Typical Christian bigotry showing itself again by trying to make themselves the persecuted victim card in that Andrew Thorburn case.

A Muslim player declining to wear the Pride Jumper causes nowhere near the hurt and anguish Thorburn and his Crackpot Church and their beliefs does to the wider community.

Irrelevant as it doesn't apply to Australia.

We all so how toxic many of Australia's Christian community behaved when the same sex marriage vote took place.

I think you are ignoring the many nutters that are involved in Thorburn's Church and how Essendon risked losing thousands of club members if they kept him on as CEO (also for his Church's abhorrent views about abortions)

Typical Christian bigotry showing itself again by trying to make themselves the persecuted victim card in that Andrew Thorburn case.

A Muslim player declining to wear the Pride Jumper causes nowhere near the hurt and anguish Thorburn and his Crackpot Church and their beliefs does to the wider community.

So bigotry is now location based?

Predominantly white countries bad, predominantly brown countries good?

BTW you have no idea if she is in favour of throwing gay people off buildings just the same as you have no idea if he is a fan of gay conversion therapy.

Youre just happy to pot shot the safe target.

Both are disgusting.

So bigotry is now location based?

Predominantly white countries bad, predominantly brown countries good?

BTW you have no idea if she is in favour of throwing gay people off buildings just the same as you have no idea if he is a fan of gay conversion therapy.

Youre just happy to pot shot the safe target.

Both are disgusting.

Please come and show us that Haneen has ever publicly said or written anything homophobic ?

I personally think she should have played, but her decision not to wear the Pride Jumper whilst not ideal, is hardly homophobic.

Where do you draw the line with regards to acceptance of faith and or orientation ? If her players and opposition players who are gay can accept her decision to not wear the jumper, who are we to judge or condemn her then ?

I have to question the ethics of a workplace forcing anyone (of any gender) to wear something on their work uniform that goes against their own personal beliefs ?

If the AFLW and Manly NRL gave players the choice to wear pride jumpers optional rather than mandatory, far less anguish and controversy and **** flung from both sides would occur.

Imagine if a gay player decided to sit out Multicultural Round because they did not feel comfortable the anti-gay attitudes of some cultures.

It would never be tolerated and the player would probably have their contract torn up.

The ongoing situation with Haneen Zreika is a bad look.

Once a year is not really an ongoing situation

Is this situation any different to Indigenous NRL players (for example) boycotting the Australian National Anthem ?

I feel like in this instance many who are outraged are not doing it out of support for the LGBT community, but more in their ignorant dislike/prejudice against Muslims.

Please come and show us that Haneen has ever publicly said or written anything homophobic ?

I personally think she should have played, but her decision not to wear the Pride Jumper whilst not ideal, is hardly homophobic.

Where do you draw the line with regards to acceptance of faith and or orientation ? If her players and opposition players who are gay can accept her decision to not wear the jumper, who are we to judge or condemn her then ?

I have to question the ethics of a workplace forcing anyone (of any gender) to wear something on their work uniform that goes against their own personal beliefs ?

If the AFLW and Manly NRL gave players the choice to wear pride jumpers optional rather than mandatory, far less anguish and controversy and **** flung from both sides would occur.

You have stuff Thorburn has written ?

We are judging both on the beliefs of their religions arent we ?

Once a year is not really an ongoing situation

Is this situation any different to Indigenous NRL players (for example) boycotting the Australian National Anthem ?

I feel like in this instance many who are outraged are not doing it out of support for the LGBT community, but more in their ignorant dislike/prejudice against Muslims.
If it's going to happen every season, that's ongoing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hilarious watching the media/woke mob and public reaction to things like this - it's like they don't know what to do... They want to play the SACK HER, SHES A BIGOT HOMOPHOBE - but because she's a woman AND muslim they have to step a different path and change the narrative - its religious - its ok - we need to respect her beliefs. Clown world. Would love to see the reaction if a white AFL christian player decided to not support a homosexual campaign run by a club.

It's hilarious watching the media/woke mob and public reaction to things like this - it's like they don't know what to do... They want to play the SACK HER, SHES A BIGOT HOMOPHOBE - but because she's a woman AND indigenous they have to step a different path and change the narrative - its religious - its ok - we need to respect her beliefs. Clown world. Would love to see the reaction if a white AFL christian player decided to not support a homosexual campaign run by a club.
She's Lebanese.

I agree she's getting light treatment in comparison to a white man though.

Funny how the 800 page mainboard thread of hate and vitriol has so many comments like "homophobia and bigotry from all races and religions is wrong, we dont just hate Christianity". Literally 3 days later someone from a different religion comes out so against the lbgtq community she refuses to play and it's silence all mention of it banned from the thread

Christianity is an easy target because they won't fight back, other religions not so much
“Won’t fight back” ahahaha pisser!😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🥂👍

Thorburn hasn't penned anything homophobic, nor has he publicly stated whether he agrees with his churches teaches on homosexuality.

You can infer that both are homophobic through their actions, yet one is copping far more flak than the other. Is it purely because that person had a leadership position or is there something more to it?

Personally, I give neither of the people in question a free pass. If an AFLW player doesn't agree with the values of their employer, they should probably find a more suitable job.

You can stand in the middle of the city with a statue of Jesus and live stream yourself pissing on it and nothing would happen to you. Have a read up about Charlie Hebdo if you think others would be so tolerant
Not a history buff I take it, I was actually about 30 ft away when that nutter smashed the piss christ, even had a word as the cops dragged him away.
Why don’t you just say Islam/Muslims, given that’s what you were implying?

I posted last year when this happened that she obviously has the support of the playing group and the wider club - No matter how you twist it she would not be on the list if this was not the case.

I posted last year when this happened that she obviously has the support of the playing group and the wider club - No matter how you twist it she would not be on the list if this was not the case.
Supporting homophobic views? Imagine Ablett Jnr or Zach Smith publicity stated their opposition to homosexuality by refusing to play or take part in a round designed to support the LGBT community. s**t would hit the fan.

This is a player who is part of the GWS women's team. I know stones in glass houses and what not but you could not pick a more irrelevant combination in terms of being recognised by the public eye.

In saying that, she is still a dickhead, you can spin it into whatever you want and most people who wanted Andrew Thorburn would agree with me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back