Rumour AFLW player refuses to wear pride jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noone is backing thorburn. Plenty are highlighting the hypocrisy of the 2 situations.
The media launched thorburn for just being associated with someone who was homophones.
The media is relatively silent about this situation despite the player being vocally homophobic, or at least vocally in support of homophobia

In the other thread people asked if the same thing would happen if a Muslim was in that position - this thread proves it would not
I never would have thought that someone being the CEO of a massive AFL club would get more coverage then a AFLW GWS player sitting out one game. Both are idiots, use your brain as to why one would be getting more attention.

I never would have thought that someone being the CEO of a massive AFL club would get more coverage then a AFLW GWS player sitting out one game. Both are idiots, use your brain as to why one would be getting more attention.
Use your brain to realise that it isn't about the place in the organisation.

A homophobic worker will be treated the same as a homophobic certificate in any decent organisation

Use your brain to realise that it isn't about the place in the organisation.

A homophobic worker will be treated the same as a homophobic certificate in any decent organisation
You're specifically complaining about media coverage. Do you think Bezos and some random Amazon worker would get the same attention? It's also laughable that you think a worker and higher up would be treated the same at most companies.

Is your actual issue that she isn't being fired? Or is this all some victim complex that a rich old white guy was oppressed by being held accountable for his views.

Noone is backing thorburn. Plenty are highlighting the hypocrisy of the 2 situations.
The media launched thorburn for just being associated with someone who was homophones.
The media is relatively silent about this situation despite the player being vocally homophobic, or at least vocally in support of homophobia

In the other thread people asked if the same thing would happen if a Muslim was in that position - this thread proves it would not

I don't think that's the case. As none of them wanted to point out his beliefs as poor. Kidding yourself if you think people were arguing for the sake of gays and women going through abortion. Which was the actual issue , not the hypocrisy of two homophobes being treated differently

It's a gross attitude and she should be ashamed. You can be religious and not be a homophobe, and I have had plenty of Muslim friends throughout my life that have been involved in campaigning for gay rights. I would also hazard a guess that the LGBTQI+ community has been disproportionately involved in campaigning to protect Muslim rights.

There is no excuse for her shitty behaviour, and you can pretty much guarantee that there's inconsistencies in her application of her interpretation of the teachings of the Quran. But it is fascinating how people who typically couldn't give less of a * about the persecution of the queer community are chomping at the bit over what an outrage it is though.

Then I look forward to all AFL players have a Christian Crucifix on their jumpers for Easter next year.

You're specifically complaining about media coverage. Do you think Bezos and some random Amazon worker would get the same attention? It's also laughable that you think a worker and higher up would be treated the same at most companies.

Is your actual issue that she isn't being fired? Or is this all some victim complex that a rich old white guy was oppressed by being held accountable for his views.

Comparing an AFLW player and a ‘random Amazon worker’ is a bit apples and oranges IMO.

Any public figure will always be more scrutinised about social issues or even just social behaviour.

Would anyone care about De Goey in Bali if he was a chippy? Doubt it.

That's so stupid. What is she protesting? The existence of LGBTQ people? Only hurting herself? She's got teammates she's playing with and saying I think your existence is a sin. Pretty sure that'd hurt. Good on her? Nah * her, she's being openly homophobic.
Agree that her team mates would be hurt by it, just saying there's no doubt homophobic people exist and the message here is that the game will move on without her. So yeah * her, no special allowances were made. She excluded herself. So good on her. She decided to punish herself for her own bigotry.

There's an episode on the AFLW special which covers this exact situation.
Basically the club said it was dissapointing but they will let her sit it out.
The player seemed incredibly dissapointed to not be playing, but the round is about acceptance of everyone. You can't force someone to allow acceptance.
The club has their policies around this stuff, I'd be more concerned that they have a player making themselves unavailable for a round in each season considering how short they are.
She's not making hate statements, just a silent protest.
Good on her I guess. It's her life, her career, and she's only hurting herself.
Only hurting herself??? Tell that to a Muslim or young girl struggling with their sexuality watching her tell them that they are not ok.

Then I look forward to all AFL players have a Christian Crucifix on their jumpers for Easter next year.
In what universe could you conceivably think that is comparable?

Only hurting herself??? Tell that to a Muslim or young girl struggling with their sexuality watching her tell them that they are not ok.
That's what I mean though? She didn't tell anyone anything. She's gone to the shadows.
I haven't seen her make a statement about it, or a hurtful post or anything like that.
I don't agree with her opinions at all. But there's no denying some people have those opinions, and I would much rather they hide away than spout their hatred.
She is entitled to do whatever she wants, but until she starts actually waving her discrimination in other people's faces, I don't think it's necessary to smash her for it.

That's what I mean though? She didn't tell anyone anything. She's gone to the shadows.
I haven't seen her make a statement about it, or a hurtful post or anything like that.
I don't agree with her opinions at all. But there's no denying some people have those opinions, and I would much rather they hide away than spout their hatred.
She is entitled to do whatever she wants, but until she starts actually waving her discrimination in other people's faces, I don't think it's necessary to smash her for it.
She has publically made a stand by choosing to sit out this weekend.

A fan at the soccer last week was banned for life for giving a Nazi salute. He didn't say anything or put anything in writing. Are you going to argue that he did nothing wrong?

She has publically made a stand by choosing to sit out this weekend.

A fan at the soccer last week was banned for life for giving a Nazi salute. He didn't say anything or put anything in writing. Are you going to argue that he did nothing wrong?
There's a difference between actively giving a nazi salute and sitting something out.
I think her opinion is wrong. I don't know what the solution is to that, there's no winners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no difference. It's a non-verbal action designed to show others what her beliefs are. She should be out of the game.

That sounds borderline facist/nazi Germany logic to me.

Conform to wear something that goes against your lifelong family held religious beliefs or you are on the scrap heap ?

Also arrogant of you to presume to speak on behalf of her LBGT identify team-mates and opposition players who seem fine/respectful of her decision.

Quite frankly, you are the one who honestly comes across as a bigot, not Haneen.

That sounds borderline facist/nazi Germany logic to me.

Conform to wear something that goes against your lifelong family held religious beliefs or you are on the scrap heap ?

Also arrogant of you to presume to speak on behalf of her LBGT identify team-mates and opposition players who seem fine/respectful of her decision.

Quite frankly, you are the one who honestly comes across as a bigot, not Haneen.
You've replied to a few of my posts, and to be honest - you come across as someone that is the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect. You are so far out of your depth that it's just not fair.

I'm having a guess here - but I bet you live somewhere near Kew and voted or wanted to vote for Tim Smith. Be honest - am I right? Was it Xavier or Scotch that your parents paid for? Can spot the young Libs a mile away.

You've replied to a few of my posts, and to be honest - you come across as someone that is the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect. You are so far out of your depth that it's just not fair.

I'm having a guess here - but I bet you live somewhere near Kew and voted or wanted to vote for Tim Smith. Be honest - am I right? Was it Xavier or Scotch that your parents paid for? Can spot the young Libs a mile away.

I actually am left wing and vote for and done electoral work for the Greens in the past (I actually campaigned for Julian Burnside against Josh Frydenberg 2 elections ago)

I used to live for years in Kew, and I cannot stand Tim Smith or Frydenberg (both whom I met over the years) and votes yes for Same Sex Marriage.

And I have said previous in this thread (as a Muslim) that I would have preferred for Haneen if she played in this game/wore the Pride Jumper, however I refuse to accept she is the bigot or Homophobe that people like you think she is.

More cultural and orientation (from both sides here) is required, I personally myself would wear/play in an Pride Game/Rainbow Laces kit if required in footy/soccer (If I was a pro) but I definitely wouldn't want to wear an Anzac Day or Remembrance Day Jersey/Kit cause of my fundamental objection to war and the politics that go with it.

You have to stop making generalisations and assumptions about people

Granted I will admit the treatment of LGBT community in Middle Eastern/Islamic Countries is abhorrent and needs to be condemned in the strongest of terms, but I suspect you and other posters here are assuming Haneen supporters those vile and bigoted laws over there (which I am certain is not the case)

Being part of a traditional/practising Muslim family community is not easy in a country as Australia, believe me I know.

I know you mean well, but i feel like this issue is a lot more grey than black and white than you assume

I actually am left wing and vote for and done electoral work for the Greens in the past (I actually campaigned for Julian Burnside against Josh Frydenberg 2 elections ago)

I used to live for years in Kew, and I cannot stand Tim Smith or Frydenberg (both whom I met over the years) and votes yes for Same Sex Marriage.

And I have said previous in this thread (as a Muslim) that I would have preferred for Haneen if she played in this game/wore the Pride Jumper, however I refuse to accept she is the bigot or Homophobe that people like you think she is.

More cultural and orientation (from both sides here) is required, I personally myself would wear/play in an Pride Game/Rainbow Laces kit if required in footy/soccer (If I was a pro) but I definitely wouldn't want to wear an Anzac Day or Remembrance Day Jersey/Kit cause of my fundamental objection to war and the politics that go with it.

You have to stop making generalisations and assumptions about people

Granted I will admit the treatment of LGBT community in Middle Eastern/Islamic Countries is abhorrent and needs to be condemned in the strongest of terms, but I suspect you and other posters here are assuming Haneen supporters those vile and bigoted laws over there (which I am certain is not the case)

Being part of a traditional/practising Muslim family community is not easy in a country as Australia, believe me I know.

I know you mean well, but i feel like this issue is a lot more grey than black and white than you assume
Yeah good response, I appreciate it, and looks like I misjudged you. I disagree with a lot of the things you have posted, but at least they are well thought out.

Yeah good response, I appreciate it.

No problem. Thanks for the kind words.
I do hope Haneen feels comfortable and enlightened enough to wear the Pride Jumper next season. Would be a fantastic moment for everyone, especially the Islamic Community in Australia (especially the Youth)

The great thing about our game is its inclusiveness. Everyone should be accepted and welcomed for what their sexual or gender orientation is and or what their religious or racial backgrounds are :)

Some groups (like Muslims) probably are a bit more behind the times than others, but I do honestly think it will change (hopefully in the Middle East too)

Supporting homophobic views? Imagine Ablett Jnr or Zach Smith publicity stated their opposition to homosexuality by refusing to play or take part in a round designed to support the LGBT community. s**t would hit the fan.

Well you need to speak to the GWS playing group and the wider GWS club - They are obviously supportive of the player's view and more IMPORTANTLY happy with the way she interacts with the club or she would no longer be at the club.

It happened earlier this year, not last.

Last year, GWS just wore rainbow socks, and she played in the game (wearing plain black socks). So in the following two seasons, the club has introduced a pride jumper, and then persisted with the concept, fully aware of the "problem" it would create for her.

No matter how you twist it, she is in breach of her playing contract. The AFL could easily enforce an ultimatum (play or be sacked), and then we would see who the club really supports.

How is she in breach of her contract ? Players miss games for a variety of reasons which are usually undisclosed - She would not be on the list is she did not fit in with the playing group and the wider club - Unfortunately you may not get what you wish.

How is she in breach of her contract ? Players miss games for a variety of reasons which are usually undisclosed - She would not be on the list is she did not fit in with the playing group and the wider club - Unfortunately you may not get what you wish.
Read section 3 of the standard playing agreement ("Player's obligations"), and it should be pretty easy to figure out.

Then again, you obviously struggle with reading if you think I expressed any wish.

If religion disappeared the world would be a far better place.

Laughable these people with completely backward views arent alienated in society due to it being “religious” ….grow up.

Where do you think a lot of our laws and ethics come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back