Rumour AFLW player refuses to wear pride jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A day or 2 after the game and no one will GAF, unfortunately that's how it goes.
Thats the point I was making, she should have just claimed an injury and then afforded more time to think about her choice.

Sure than in a year from now, she would be better placed to make a decision to come out publicly.

If she doesn't feel welcome playing our game she will just go and play another team sport, and possibly others might follow.
Wearing the jumper is really a meaningless gesture its really how you treat and respect others, but to not wear one makes a huge statement.

I wonder if she will attend the game and/or be in the changeroom with the players?

Admittedly its brought the AFLW into the media spotlight. I didnt even know it was on.:drunk:

Wearing the jumper is really a meaningless gesture its really how you treat and respect others, but to not wear one makes a huge statement.

I wonder if she will attend the game and/or be in the changeroom with the players?

Admittedly its brought the AFLW into the media spotlight. I didnt even know it was on.:drunk:
I would suggest that a majority of people in Australia would support her actions privately in my opinion.

She's clearly in a no win situation.
If she plays the game she faces years of ostracism in her own community.
I think her team mates would under that.
Not her fault or in her control.

I do respect and understand that.

Wouldnt it have been better to have just been "injured" for the game?

She is attending the game to support her teammates, which is good enough for me.

Some people need to stop getting on the overly offended trolley (left wing) or double standards and bigoted cart (right wing) bandwagon with issues like this.

This will have no impact long term on anyone, so what is the big deal?

Shouldn't we be far more worried about Aussies living in the Ukraine right now ?

Where are our priorities as a country.?

She's clearly in a no win situation.
If she plays the game she faces years of ostracism in her own community.
I think her team mates would under that.
Not her fault or in her control.
I would think at this moment in time she's thinking about her future in the game and see what the reaction is to her views

it is not unlike Khwhaja when he left the winning podium as the boys were about to pop the champagne and spray it everywhere, he made a quick exit without fuss bit to the skippers credit he put a hold on the cork popping so he to could enjoy that moment too.
Purely symbolic but for those who are living by a principle it is important To them.

She is attending the game to support her teammates, which is good enough for me.

Some people need to stop getting on the overly offended trolley (left wing) or double standards and bigoted cart (right wing) bandwagon with issues like this.

This will have no impact long term on anyone, so what is the big deal?

Shouldn't we be far more worried about Aussies living in the Ukraine right now ?

Where are our priorities as a country.?
If she is attending the game and her teammates support her, I dont have an issue.

Looking at her perspective, she would probably cop much more heat from her community if she did. Mind you, Im not 100% sure many would follow AFLW.

Wasnt Israel Folau crucified for his opinions?

Let's be honest here
Th3Gay and Trans community here in Australia has far more pressing issues to worry about.

This so called 'scandal' was raised by hypocritical Christian Right Wing Nutjobs trying to deflect from their own decades own politically and church endorsed homophobia

Naneen not willing to wear the Pride Jumper is disappointing but hardly a crime against humanity.

Also it won't stop the 100s of homophobic slurs I hear at the footy every week.

At the very least, this issue has given an otherwise tedious and mediocre AFLW season much needed media attention.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Gil McDildo actually orchestrated this whole fiasco tbh. He is a grub.
These sort of statements s**t me - see it all the time from the “don’t change the date” crowd.

It is possible to have more than one hot plate burning at a time

Wasnt Israel Folau crucified for his opinions?

She has not made any obscene comments about the LGBT community unlike Izzy Fartaloud (who was a serial offender)

She has never said anything on public record degrading LGBT or their community .

Her action is a quiet personal action, not a damning condemnation of gays and transgender people quoted via Holy Text Scripturebl

Given so far AFLW Is a niche, low crowd and TV rating sporting league (so far) this issue has been blown out way out of proportion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She has not made any obscene comments about the LGBT community unlike Izzy Fartaloud (who was a serial offender)

She has never said anything on public record degrading LGBT or their community .

Her action is a quiet personal action, not a damning condemnation of gays and transgender people quoted via Holy Text Scripturebl

Given so far AFLW Is a niche, low crowd and TV rating sporting league (so far) this issue has been blown out way out of proportion

Her refusing to wear the guernsey is her stating her opinions. It is like a person carrying around a Confederate flag in America. Sure they may not state outright what they believe but we can get a very good guess based on the flag they are carrying around.

The solution seems an equitable one. The club doesn't back down regarding its values, the player doesn't back down regarding hers (and they are just hers, not Islamic or any flavour; homophobic bigotry is individual amongst Muslims just as it is amongst Christians or atheists.)

Of course, player availability is one of the factors clubs have to look at in considering playing lists and contracts. Other things being equal, a player who is going to sit out certain matches for reasons of belief simply isn't as valuable to the club as a player who is willing to show up every week.

A broader underlying issue is how institutions such as football clubs arrive at the values they choose to profess, and the manner in which they celebrate those values. There is a clear majoritarian element to this, but also room for individuals and small groups to exert their influence.

The solution seems an equitable one. The club doesn't back down regarding its values, the player doesn't back down regarding hers (and they are just hers, not Islamic or any flavour; homophobic bigotry is individual amongst Muslims just as it is amongst Christians or atheists.)

Of course, the club will certainly have to account for player availability in future contract discussions. Other things being equal, a player who is going to sit out certain matches for reasons of belief simply isn't as valuable to the club as a player who is willing to show up every week.

A broader issue is how institutions such as clubs arrive at the values they choose to profess, and the manner in which they celebrate those values. There is a clear majoritarian element to this, but also room for individuals and small groups to exert influence.

I wonder if there is a termination clause in AFL and WAFL contracts for players who are fit but simply refusing to play.

Her refusing to wear the guernsey is her stating her opinions. It is like a person carrying around a Confederate flag in America. Sure they may not state outright what they believe but we can get a very good guess based on the flag they are carrying around.

Oh get a grip.

Those situations are nothing alike and you know it.

It's only one game, it does not matter one jolt long term

Good point raised.

I can see both sides of the argument here, I do agree with this.

I just think for everyone concerned it would have been better to sit out, without being so public about it.

AFL players miss games all the time for a variety of reasons.

It’s obviously been a difficult decision to make as she has apparently played in a pride game before and while it seems that some in the LGBTIQA community are disappointed, it appears that just as many understand the decision. Maybe she could of been a positive voice by participating, but who knows, maybe she or her family have received death threats

There have been some that have tried to draw a comparison with Folau but she isn’t using her platform to spread hate in the same way that Folau did who was extremely vocal and hateful

I do though find it hard to reconcile that she “respects people regardless of their sexual orientation BUT also ”I have a responsibility to respect my faith”

It’s obviously been a difficult decision to make as she has apparently played in a pride game before and while it seems that some in the LGBTIQA community are disappointed, it appears that just as many understand the decision. Maybe she could of been a positive voice by participating, but who knows, maybe she or her family have received death threats

There have been some that have tried to draw a comparison with Folau but she isn’t using her platform to spread hate in the same way that Folau did who was extremely vocal and hateful

I do though find it hard to reconcile that she “respects people regardless of their sexual orientation BUT also ”I have a responsibility to respect my faith”

I get the feeling, that the repercussions of playing the round in her community may have weighed upon her too.

I haven't seen it on here, but people trying to compare this to the Australian players removing alcohol from their Ashes celebrations on behalf of Uzzie are missing a huge point.

In this comparison you are comparing a sentient human being who through no choice of their own has a minority sexual preference with a poisonous liquid.
It isn't reasonable.

I struggle with religion as a concept. I struggle more so when it's used to excuse homophobia. Good luck to all of them. I hope this isn't an issue in 10 years times.

I dont agree with the Islamic views, and probably neither do most in this country, but the question I guess is what is the response if she chooses to follow her religious beliefs here, which she's entitled to without discrimination in this country.

It's a tough one.

I dont agree with the Islamic views, and probably neither do most in this country, but the question I guess is what is the response if she chooses to follow her religious beliefs here, which she's entitled to without discrimination in this country.

It's a tough one.
So an employee at an Australian business can refuse to work with someone homosexual and request to be paid and not sacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back