AFLW AFLW Practice Match - Richmond v West Coast Sunday January 26 Swinburne Centre 1PM

Tigers topple Eagles in AFLW practice match

By Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au - 3 hrs ago
aflw_1024_.jpg

Richmond's AFLW side has rounded out its pre-season on a high note, recording a commanding 28-point win over West Coast in a practice match on Sunday afternoon at the Swinburne Centre.
The Tigers wasted no time from the first bounce, securing the first three majors before eventually running away to a 7.9 (51) to 3.5 (23) victory.

Richmond's forwards worked together seamlessly from the get-go, as Tayla Stahl shone with three goals and Courtney Wakefield and Katie Brennan slotted one each.
Christina Bernardi booted two and was sharp on return in her first proper outing since undergoing foot surgery at the conclusion of the 2019 AFLW season.
Having blown out the cobwebs in a match simulation session against the Western Bulldogs the week prior, Richmond looked slick and in control as it held West Coast goalless for the first term.
TR260120MK0049.jpg

But the visitors fought back in the second quarter to reduce the Tigers' margin to just one point, before Bernardi answered back just before the main break.
The Tigers' clean ball movement created plenty of scoring opportunities in the third term, before some final-quarter brilliance from Stahl and Brennan propelled Richmond home.
Q3.jpg

Lauren Tesoriero provided plenty of midfield grunt in what was an impressive return from injury, while the Tigers' defensive unit, led by Phoebe Monahan, was superb.
Midfielder Ella Wood was explosive, while fellow cub Laura McClelland was a standout, thriving at the contest and showcasing excellent aerial ability.
TR260120MK0149.jpg

McClelland said the win reflected a true team performance in what was a valuable opportunity for the Tigers to test themselves against another expansion side.
"We're getting closer (as a team) every week and we (try) each week to improve and do at least one thing better, and I feel we did a lot better this week," she said.
The 18-year-old key position player, who was taken by Richmond with its second selection at the 2019 NAB AFLW Draft (No. 25 overall), looked right at home on the AFLW stage.
"The adjustment to the next level is a higher step but I'm loving it and I know the other draftees are loving it here at Richmond too," she said.
Having now completed their final pre-season hit-out, the Tigers turn their attention to the season opener against Carlton at Ikon Park on Friday, February 7.
RICHMOND 2.0 (12) 4.0 (24) 5.7 (37) 7.9 (51)
WEST COAST 0.1 (1) 2.5 (17) 2.5 (17) 3.5 (23)
GOALS: Stahl (3), Bernardi (2), Wakefield, Brennan
TR260120MK0032.jpg

TR260120MK0138.jpg

TR260120MK0170.jpg

TR260120MK0040.jpg

TR260120MK0120.jpg

How did Laura McClelland & Emma Horne go today?

Since it was only a practice match, how hard were both teams going at - between 80% and 90% perhaps?

Thought both teams were going pretty hard. If they were going less than 100 they sure weren’t showing it.

Last edited:
That's a very good result. Does anyone know if the WC were at about full strength or ?

From what I could tell they were really only missing their ruck who is out for the year.

Tiger women aiming high after practice match win
By Daniel Cherny
January 26, 2020 — 6.10pm
Star Richmond forward Sabrina Frederick has declared the Tigers aren’t here to make up the numbers in their first AFLW season after coach Tom Hunter’s side brushed off West Coast in the expansion teams’ final practice match before round one.
Tayla Stahl kicked three majors as Richmond led at every change to keep the Eagles at bay for a 7.9 (51) to 3.5 (23) victory at Punt Road Oval on Sunday.

Carlton stars Tayla Harris and Madison Prespakis were among those in attendance, with the Blues pair getting a good look at the Tigers ahead of the season opener between the traditional rivals at Ikon Park on Friday week.
There was plenty to like from a Richmond perspective - not least the fact the Tigers were able to beat AFLW opposition despite being without All-Australian Monique Contiwho missed the match as she continues to manage basketball duties.
While dual All-Australian and former Brisbane Lions key position player Frederick was her side’s major target up forward, the damage was done at ground level as Stahl, Christina Bernardi and Courtney Wakefield wreaked havoc.

Tigers captain Katie Brennan showed glimpses of her class, kicking a goal but playing predominantly through the midfield.

Youngster Sophie Molan - taken at pick No. 7 in last year’s draft - left the field in the last quarter following a head knock but Richmond said after the match that she had been given the all-clear.

Frederick was cautious not to get carried away with the win but said Richmond were setting the bar high in their first season.

“Yeah, I mean, we’re here to compete, we're definitely not here to make up the numbers and we’re just going to do the best that we can possibly do,” Frederick told The Age.

“You know, we give respect to the other clubs, not thinking that we're going to come in here and win a premiership first up, but we're definitely striving to like every other club and just wanting to compete every single week. So, you know, this week, we got the win and next week, have a week off and then play Carlton and see what happens."
The Eagles - who face Collingwood at Victoria Park in round one - had their moments but were unable to capitalise on an extended period of control in the second quarter.
Former Fremantle player Emily McGuire was among their standouts.

In Sunday's other practice match, Greater Western Sydney thrashed the Brisbane Lions 5.7 (37) to 0.3 (3).
8CAFF44E-2EE4-49CA-BF7C-7B44FD1A817E.jpeg

Burning bright: Tiger Tayla Stahla makes a quick getaway as West Coast's Hayley Bullas attempts a tackle during the practice match at Punt Road Oval in Richmond.

I thought kodi jaques was excellent, love her attack on the ball
And on the opposition,, very exciting prospect
Also on the eagles tean number 19 was quick real quick
Looks like a great player in the making

That number 19, Imahra Cameron looks good. Mature age draftee at 22 and has been lighting it up in WA for a while now.

Haven't seen anything official but I think the only injury concerns coming out of the practice match was a head knock to Sophie Molan and Tayla Stahl had a bit of a leg knock but played out the match. The break this week should see them be ok for R1.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought kodi jaques was excellent, love her attack on the ball
And on the opposition,, very exciting prospect
Also on the eagles tean number 19 was quick real quick
Looks like a great player in the making
Good to hear about Kodi , showed flashes in vfl , only a teenager so should develop , sounds like the right direction

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Stahl form is exciting , not at all surprised that she could really impact this year , came in part way and looked the goods at vfl , Pre season under the belt and look out
And watching brief highlights boy does lozza go in hard , with big body will be useful as an inside mid hope knee holds up,,, easy to see why they listed her

Stahl form is exciting , not at all surprised that she could really impact this year , came in part way and looked the goods at vfl , Pre season under the belt and look out
And watching brief highlights boy does lozza go in hard , with big body will be useful as an inside mid hope knee holds up,,, easy to see why they listed her

Has a bag of tricks does Tayla. She had a full 2019 VFLW season. Kicked 6 round 1 v Darebin.

Where did you watch the highlights?

NorthernBastard

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Not actually Richmond
Looks like Tesoriero is having her knee tested out at half time running out from the goal square and changing direction. Still in her warm up top.
Instantly took me back to Phil Davis and the 2019 Grand Final.
Have this satisfied look now.
could be wrong, but pretty sure she did her ACL last year and played a couple of games, never had surgery and then essentially drafted herself to the Tigs? I don't expect she'll play a heap of match time as she was struggling at AFLW before she injured knee

could be wrong, but pretty sure she did her ACL last year and played a couple of games, never had surgery and then essentially drafted herself to the Tigs? I don't expect she'll play a heap of match time as she was struggling at AFLW before she injured knee

Lauren did her ACL in round 6 of the 2019 VFLW season having played just 3 games.
I know a lot has been made of her drafting and it was pretty funny stuff but she took herself out of the decision making and others made the call.
Look I think you are right she isn't going to be a star or play as much as some others and I think she'll be more of an on field coach. There is no doubt that she knows the game really well and she had a bit of a purple patch in that 3rd quarter when she came on so she can be handy.
You can tell how loved she is by the playing group just in the fact that they call her "Nonna". Who doesn't adore their Nonna? Well maybe Ray Barone but I digress. Sometimes some players add a huge amount just by being around the team.

Writing History: Seymour ready for Round 1
As Richmond embarks on its inaugural AFLW season, the players will be taking Tiger fans on the journey with them as they share their experiences. Today, ruck/utility Gabby Seymour reflects on the Tigers' final pre-season hit-out...
By Gabby Seymour, richmondfc.com.au - 2 hrs ago
seymour_2801.jpg

As Richmond embarks on its inaugural AFLW season, the players will be taking Tiger fans on the journey with them as they share their experiences. Today, ruck/utility Gabby Seymour reflects on the Tigers' final pre-season hit-out...
Ten days to go!
Our pre-season is now officially ticked off. I was so proud of our practice match performance on Sunday, it was really promising to round out our pre-season campaign in style with a win over the Eagles. It was a huge improvement from the week prior and the experience prepared us well for Round 1.
The clash was a valuable opportunity to test ourselves against another expansion side, a team that is in exactly the same position as us. The Eagles brought plenty of talent but I felt like we showcased a really special connection between our team that outshone our opponent, and that was something that continued to develop from the week before.

While each hit-out has helped build on our connection, I think what we do off the field has also played a big part in our strong team morale. We spend so much time together and we genuinely enjoy each other’s company.
AFLW_Round1_GameDayHub.jpg

All in all, I think the final hit-out gave us a good indication of where the team is at and a confidence boost for Round 1. To have been able to get a win against another AFLW side, that’s a positive, no matter what time of the year it happens.
It was so exciting to see a couple of our girls come off the rehab list on Sunday and get involved. After not playing since the conclusion of the 2019 AFLW season, I loved seeing Christina Bernardi back out there, she absolutely smashed it. And of course, having Lauren Tesoriero back in action was awesome. She had an impact for the moment she took to the field, with the first centre clearance and two handballs in her opening minute!
AFLW-Richmond-v-West-Coast-Eagles-061.jpg

Phoebe Monahan led the backline admirably. It was also great to see some of our draftees rise to the occasion, particularly Sarah Sansonetti, who really showed what she is capable of. It’s fantastic to see the development of those younger girls as we look towards Round 1. I don’t envy the selectors!
As a new addition to the backline, I feel like I’ve learnt important lessons in each hit-out, and that’s what practice matches are for! I’m loving being a part of our 'back pack', we have an awesome group of defenders. Something we really emphasise is celebrating the little wins, because there’s not too many goals down in the backline! So, we make sure to celebrate someone laying an awesome tackle or a spoil. I feel we are all really happy for one another to succeed, which is a wonderful quality to have.
I’m continuing to enjoy my time in the ruck as well.
seymour__.jpg

It’s crazy to look back to this time last year when I was just learning to kick a football. It’s certainly been a whirlwind 12 months year but I’m loving every moment.
There’s obviously a big increase from VFLW to AFLW in terms of the skill quality and the speed of the game. But all our coaches are super encouraging and there are plenty of others who are also new to the level, so I don’t feel like I’m on my own by any stretch. I’m also lucky to have such a supportive group of girls around me to help guide me though.

It will be good to get another couple of training sessions under our belt over the next week and a half. We’ll tidy up some little things from the practice game and continue to make sure we’re as prepared as we can be to give it a real crack next Friday.
It’s all starting to feel pretty real, I’m so excited for the season to start. While the practice matches came around pretty quickly, at the same time, I do feel like we’re ready for Round 1. It’s a good position to be in. Our first AFLW game and we’re playing in the season opener, you can’t ask for more than that!

MATCH REVIEW
JAN 28. 2020. 8:25 PM
Dockers star, Tigers recruit reprimanded, Roos defender escapes sanction
Sarah Black

TWO CHARGES have been laid out of the AFLW practice matches held over the weekend.

Fremantle star Kiara Bowers and Richmond recruiter-turned-midfielder Lauren Tesoriero have both been offered reprimands with an early guilty plea for rough conduct from their respective games.

It means the bump laid by North Melbourne defender Tahlia Randall on Carlton's Lauren Brazzale escaped penalty, despite the Blue going to hospital for precautionary scans.
In the case of Bowers, her tackle on young Crow Madison Newman was graded as careless conduct with low impact to the head.
Classed as a $400 sanction (AFLW financial penalties are on a pro-rata with the AFL's), she can accept a reprimand with an early guilty plea.

Tesoriero – making her return from a torn ACL after deciding against surgery – was cited for an incident involving West Coast skipper Emma Swanson.
The Tiger's case was classified as intentional conduct with low impact to the body, with the same financial sanction and reprimand situation as Bowers.

Angry Nonna!!

Last edited:

NorthernBastard

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Not actually Richmond
Lauren did her ACL in round 6 of the 2019 VFLW season having played just 3 games.
I know a lot has been made of her drafting and it was pretty funny stuff but she took herself out of the decision making and others made the call.
Look I think you are right she isn't going to be a star or play as much as some others and I think she'll be more of an on field coach. There is no doubt that she knows the game really well and she had a bit of a purple patch in that 3rd quarter when she came on so she can be handy.
You can tell how loved she is by the playing group just in the fact that they call her "Nonna". Who doesn't adore their Nonna? Well maybe Ray Barone but I digress. Sometimes some players add a huge amount just by being around the team.
agree, she'll have a big impact around club

Back