Essendon v Port Adelaide at The Hangar, 11:00am AEST

Western Bulldogs v Greater Western Sydney at Whitten Oval, 11:30am AEST

Gold Coast v Geelong Cats at Austworld Centre Oval, 1:00pm AEST

Sydney v Collingwood at North Sydney Oval, 2:00pm AEST

Carlton v Melbourne at IKON Park, 3:15pm AEST

Fremantle v West Coast at Optus Stadium, 2:40pm AWST

Sunday, 14 August

Richmond v Hawthorn at Punt Road Oval, 11:00am AEST

Will Sydney v Collingwood be 14 a side at NSO? ;)

Will there be live streams?

Based on past seasons we may only find out a few days in advance.

Ideally with so much overlap (7 games on the Saturday) the games should not only be streamed but also available to be watched on delay later in the week/end.

I wasn't going to say anything about how Erin McKinnon is somehow getting worse, until I saw the write up on the Saints website that had her as "head and shoulders above St Kilda’s most influential player".

There was one minute late in Q3 when she actually held a mark and laid a tackle, otherwise... holeyyyyy s**t. The only time her "work-rate pushing deep into attack was a noticeable feature" was when she absolutely bungled a joe-the-goose.

Anyway, before the game it seemed to me like St Kilda should go 4-6 this season, and I didn't see anything today to make me reconsider (especially with it being a practice match). Can't say I got any long season vibes--certainly not when they kicked to Stevens as opposed to Shierlaw's cricket bat hands.

I wasn't going to say anything about how Erin McKinnon is somehow getting worse, until I saw the write up on the Saints website that had her as "head and shoulders above St Kilda’s most influential player".

Sadly, couldn't agree more. At least I'm not the only one spotting that. Pretty worrying reading. I thought Guttridge was probably our best and might get more opportunity on-ball. Pretty even after that. I can see we've improved in a few areas which is positive.

McKinnon had an ok first qtr, and that tackle, but didn't seem as strong in the ruck after that and dropped a bunch of marks. Shierlaw a worry there, too. Can only hope it's rust. What are the thoughts on Dillon?

I think we'll be more competitive this season, how often that translates into wins I don't know.

What are the thoughts on Dillon?
Against Sydney and Hawthorn, St Kilda will (if they wish) be able to get away with always playing 3 quick and/or skilful small mids on the ball.

But against Gold Coast, Geelong and Port Adelaide, they are still probably going to need Dillon's bigger body in the mix. It would at least seem like a better starting point than automatically upsetting the forward/backline structure, or relying on ~20yos who aren't ready for that enforcer role.

There was one minute late in Q3 when she actually held a mark and laid a tackle, otherwise... holeyyyyy s**t. The only time her "work-rate pushing deep into attack was a noticeable feature" was when she absolutely bungled a joe-the-goose.

Anyway, before the game it seemed to me like St Kilda should go 4-6 this season, and I didn't see anything today to make me reconsider (especially with it being a practice match). Can't say I got any long season vibes--certainly not when they kicked to Stevens as opposed to Shierlaw's cricket bat hands.
She's really gotten used to getting away with being tall for a while, as we start to see more Rucks coming through that are closer to her height but have the skills from juniors she'll fade more and more, really needed to take the opportunity with Morphett in our side to better develop in a second position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Against Sydney and Hawthorn, St Kilda will (if they wish) be able to get away with always playing 3 quick and/or skilful small mids on the ball.

But against Gold Coast, Geelong and Port Adelaide, they are still probably going to need Dillon's bigger body in the mix. It would at least seem like a better starting point than automatically upsetting the forward/backline structure, or relying on ~20yos who aren't ready for that enforcer role.

Yeah, that's what I thought Stuart and Stevens could bring, and they offer more to the team. Oh well, I can only wish her the best.

Carlton (without McEvoy) matched it, or better, with Melbourne in the midfield during Q2 & Q3 so I'd say where they finish in that 8th-10th mark is going to heavily depend on tidying up the backline. Dreadful down there, absolutely no leadership, while Pound is missing. Up the other end Lampard must've had 30 touches across "half back" (aka wherever she pleased).

I must remember to LOL next time I hear complaints from the chip-on-shoulder Crows supporters about Vic-centric AFL/W media. SA commentators still don't even know players like Kearney and Antonio ffs.

Carlton (without McEvoy) matched it, or better, with Melbourne in the midfield during Q2 & Q3 so I'd say where they finish in that 8th-10th mark is going to heavily depend on tidying up the backline. Dreadful down there, absolutely no leadership, while Pound is missing. Up the other end Lampard must've had 30 touches across "half back" (aka wherever she pleased).

I must remember to LOL next time I hear complaints from the chip-on-shoulder Crows supporters about Vic-centric AFL/W media. SA commentators still don't even know players like Kearney and Antonio ffs.

Are you talking about the live stream commentators today? The bloke on the Crows-North match was terrible with names, haha. I think my favourite was when he referred to Tonon as "ton-ton". Although pronouncing Eddey as "ee-dee" was pretty special too.

I also liked when he described Dowrick's kicking as "Darren Jarman-like" as she scrubbered a ball along the ground that bounced slowly to an opponent.

Are you talking about the live stream commentators today? The bloke on the Crows-North match was terrible with names, haha. I think my favourite was when he referred to Tonon as "ton-ton". Although pronouncing Eddey as "ee-dee" was pretty special too.

I also liked when he described Dowrick's kicking as "Darren Jarman-like" as she scrubbered a ball along the ground that bounced slowly to an opponent.
Also featured the description of Emma King and Mia King as sisters (Emma does have a twin sister who's about a foot shorter... but she's not Indigenous like Mia, for one thing).

Brings back memories of Sodas' commentary in the prelim last season regarding a high-profile (in women's football circles, at least) married couple!

Here are the all-important pre-season power rankings, says me:

1 Melbourne
Kicked a big score vs Essendon, then did the same against Carlton despite absent D.Pearce and Harris playing just over a quarter.

2 Richmond
Fairly dysfunctional forward-line without Brennan (who may or may not be R1 ready) while still running rings around weaker/understrength opposition.

3 Brisbane
Fact check on the claim made in commentary that they aren't usually strong pre-season, considering the blitzing of Gold Coast just last December. Put in a similar level of performance at Moorabbin on Friday, though their opposition didn't roll over so easily.

4 Geelong
Jumped the Suns but, unlike Melbourne yesterday and Richmond today, didn't have a second wind in wet conditions.

5 North Melb.
Wins against highly rated teams in low-scoring fashion.

6 GWS Giants & 7 W. Bulldogs
The most practicey match of the weekend, probably due to the teams meeting again in a fortnight.

8 Adelaide
Where are the Crows at... literally. If Norwood Oval's reliability is questionable at this stage of winter, does their R1 venue also need to be reconsidered?

9 Collingwood & 10 St Kilda
Nothing special but plenty of additions to come for each lineup.

11 Essendon
Fulfilled expectations against an opponent moving around a lot more magnets.

12 Port Adelaide
Asterisk next to the fadeout but also next to the strong start which might've been helped by Essendon's inaccuracy.

13 Fremantle
Not sure they gained much from yesterday's slog.

14 West Coast
Have found sufficient solutions to ruck and backline departures.

15 Sydney & 16 Gold Coast
Had some extended patches where they were clearly on top of the opposition.

17 Carlton
Smacked by Melbourne in short bursts, reminiscent of a game in 2018 when it was still an 8-team comp.

18 Hawthorn
Resorted to a 16-player backline five minutes into the match against Richmond.

I think this is the full extent of footage that's been uploaded post-stream so far...

StK v BL

WB v GWS

Ess v PA

Syd v Coll

Frem v WCE

Rich v Haw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back