AFLW Practice Matches 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see Laloifi in the best.

She looked good didn't she. Powerful, and good hands. Once or twice she bit off a little more than she could chew, took on the tackler and didn't make it etc. Plenty to work with though.

Was interested to see where they'd use Lucy McEvoy and it seems Harford wants her loose behind the ball. Got the footy in some dangerous positions but missed her kicks inside-50. Will be better with a couple of games under her belt, but looks composed.

Maddy Prespakis again. What a wee star. Could become the best player in the comp despite her size. Won a beautiful contested mark against an opponent who was about a foot taller than her! Best hands in the business and a beautiful user.

Kate McCarthy looks like she'll be a great get for the Saints, looked primed for this year.

CARLTON
1. Grace Egan, 2. Katie Loynes, 3. Darcy Vescio, 4. Madison Prespakis, 5. Abbie McKay, 6. Gab Pound, 7. Tayla Harris, 8, Vaomua Laloifi, 9. Kerryn Harrington, 10. Sarah Hosking, 11. Jess Hosking, 12. Lauren Brazzale, 13. Lucy McEvoy, 14. Brooke Walker, 15. Chloe Dalton, 16. Breann Moody, 19. Georgia Gee, 20. Charlotte Wilson, 21. Nicola Stevens, 25. Jess Edwards, 26. Joanne Doonan, 30. Alison Downie, 32. Nat Plane, 36. Jayde Van Dyk

NORTH MELBOURNE
1. S.Abbatangelo, 2. D.Bannister, 4. E.King, 5.K. Gillespie-Jones, 6. E.Humphries, 7. A. Riddell, 8. A.Gilroy, 9. E. Kearney, 10. K.Ashmore, 11. D.Bateman, 13. M.Seoighe, 16. T.Randall, 17. S.Wright, 20. B.Lynch, 21. J.Trend, 22. E.Gavalas, 23. M.King, 24. T.Nestor, 25. J.Garner, 26. A.Green, 28. L.Haines, 31. D. Hardiman, 35.J. Bruton, 60. E.King.

She looked good didn't she. Powerful, and good hands. Once or twice she bit off a little more than she could chew, took on the tackler and didn't make it etc. Plenty to work with though.

Was interested to see where they'd use Lucy McEvoy and it seems Harford wants her loose behind the ball. Got the footy in some dangerous positions but missed her kicks inside-50. Will be better with a couple of games under her belt, but looks composed.

Maddy Prespakis again. What a wee star. Could become the best player in the comp despite her size. Won a beautiful contested mark against an opponent who was about a foot taller than her! Best hands in the business and a beautiful user.

Kate McCarthy looks like she'll be a great get for the Saints, looked primed for this year.
How would you rate our pace compared to last year, or at least this time last year? Our running power definitely improved through the season, but we need some more elite pace to break things open at times.

How would you rate our pace compared to last year, or at least this time last year? Our running power definitely improved through the season, but we need some more elite pace to break things open at times.

Sad to say there was nothing to suggest any uplift in outside pace, especially when you see McCarthy out there for the opposition. Her dash is freakish though, well above standard.

If we're comparing how we looked against Geelong in pre-season last year, we seem to be more coherent and confident generally I would say - but I came away from that Geelong game last year quite concerned about almost everything, yet obviously we came out after that and had a really good season. Shows what I know!

Vs North

HT: Blues 15 - North 37

Back to back goals late in the half (Walker and Harris) sparing some blushes but it’s been largely a horror show. Brazzale stretchered off but that might be the least of our worries. North have come to play, and have dominated with better structure, skills and effort. It’s reminding me of us in 2018. Our spread is awful, and we panic in possession from half back to half forward - rabbit in the headlights stuff. We look undersized in defence, and our star forwards (plus Moody) simply don’t get involved enough up the ground.

Some positives....Prespakis is the exception, a lone picture of effort and composure. Grace Egan has been good at centre-bounces. Downie continues to be Downie. Laloifi and Harrington should be a decent partnership in the backline.

3QT: Blues 22 - North 45

Started beautifully with a Darcy run down tackle in the back half leading to a Harris goal. From then, despite pinning it inside-50 for a while, we’ve butchered it and ended up losing the Q.

Hopefully a big 4th coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FT: Blues 43 - North 51

Spirited fight back, and had Jess Hoskings set shot another yard in it, and Lucy McEvoy not hit the post we could have snuck it. A few highlights in that Q, my favourite was Lucy McEvoy’s contested mark in the goalsquare to get us within 10pts, but the main thing was that we made a real fist of it, set up well as a team and got close when it looked as if we were on for a heavy defeat early.

“We let them dominate us through the first quarter but, pleasingly, once we reset we got the game back to neutral pretty quickly and then we were able to, over the course of the last two quarters, start to gain some ascendency which was really pleasing.”

I think how we most effectively use Breann Moody will determine a lot this year. She wasn’t among the best today by a long way, but that was partly down to how she was deployed. She is such a powerful player and if we can harness her ability she’ll make a huge impact.

For the first two quarters today, Emma King destroyed us. North were bombing it in her direction and even 1 on 2 she was marking it. Our tallest defenders looked like Edwards and maybe Van Dyk and they struggled against her. Meanwhile Moody was camped at full forward and the ball didn’t get near her. I think we need her height in the backline at least when we’re up against a big target like King, or perhaps Sabrina Frederick who’ll line up against us in Rd1. Breann didn’t have a great day up forward, was good in the ruck, but noticably dropped back in the 4th and took a couple of good marks. She also has a hell of a roost which is quite handy to clear the close press in the womens game. Hoping we see more of her back there.

The Roos absolutely steamrolled us Rd 1 last year - and by all accounts wanted to make a statement yesterday (which I guess they did in the first part) - so the fact we were able to fight back and only narrowly miss out on victory is a definite improvement.

Also great to hear new names like Laloifi and McEvoy are already having an impact, along with the usual suspects like Harris and Prespakis.

Last edited:
I think how we most effectively use Breann Moody will determine a lot this year. She wasn’t among the best today by a long way, but that was partly down to how she was deployed. She is such a powerful player and if we can harness her ability she’ll make a huge impact.

For the first two quarters today, Emma King destroyed us. North were bombing it in her direction and even 1 on 2 she was marking it. Our tallest defenders looked like Edwards and maybe Van Dyk and they struggled against her. Meanwhile Moody was camped at full forward and the ball didn’t get near her. I think we need her height in the backline at least when we’re up against a big target like King, or perhaps Sabrina Frederick who’ll line up against us in Rd1. Breann didn’t have a great day up forward, was good in the ruck, but noticably dropped back in the 4th and took a couple of good marks. She also has a hell of a roost which is quite handy to clear the close press in the womens game. Hoping we see more of her back there.
Who would you say of McEvoy or Harrington saw more midfield minutes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back