Women's Footy AFLW Preliminary Final - Fremantle V Carlton Sat 23 March, Ikon Park, 11.45am AWST (2:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
LAST TIME THEY MET

FRE 9.5.59 def CAR 6.12.48

It was Round 7 (the final round of 2018) and was the battle for the wooden spoon. Carlton did what they do best and secured the silverware, allowing it to add another #1 draft picks to add to its enormous stockpile.

It had all the excitement and skills you'd expect of a thrilling bottom of the ladder clash with both teams neck and neck with their fumble count throughout the match. In all seriousness it wasn't a bad game, it was fairly fast and free flowing and there were some decent highlights by both teams.

Fremantle managed to rack up an injury count in game that the men's S&C team would be proud of.

WHAT'S CHANGED?

Both teams have improved a heap since last season. New coaches, simpler game styles and better personnel available has seen both teams not only win more games but improve and fix weaknesses throughout the season. Both teams have a short list of key star players but from there are fairly even with good contributors across the ground.

TEAMS

Fremantle (edited to reflect real positions)

B T.Bresland 5, P.Seth 18
HB A.Stannett 24, E.Antonio 12, E.Gooch 8
C H.Miller 19, K.Donnellan 15, S.Cain 20
HF A.Atkins K.Gibson 21, S.Duffy 6
F G.Houghton 27, A.Sharp 1
FOL P.Laurie 11, D.Hooker 17, K.Bowers 2
I/C A.Janz 30, L.Mascall 14, G.O'Sullivan 22, M.Caulfield 10, M.Sergeant 23
EMG L.Pugh 32, K.Grieve 13

Carlton

B J.Van Dyk 36 K.Harrington 9 N.Stevens 21
HB C.Dalton 15 C.Wilson 20 G.Pound 6
C B.Davey - C 1
HF L.Brazzale 12 B.Moody 16 T.Lucas-Rodd 18
F D.Vescio 3 T.Harris 7 B.Walker 14
Foll A.Downie 30 M.Prespakis 4 S.Hosking 10
I/C G.Gee 19 J.Edwards 25 K.Loynes 2 A.Mullane 8 J.Hosking 11
Emerg N.Plane 32 R.Hicks 24

In J.Edwards
Out A.McKay (Omitted)

ANALYSIS AND PREDICTION

With ~100 more points scored throughout the season it's fair to say Fremantle hold the advantage of having the better forward line. Fremantle probably also hold an edge in the midfield with arguably two of the best five midfielders in the competition (Bowers and Hooker). That's not to say Carlton don't have their own stars in Davey and Prespakis but they don't enjoy the same luxury of class like Miller and Donnellan (and others rotating in from the forward line) backing them up when needed. Although Fremantle gave up slightly less points against than Carlton I'd rate Carlton's backline as being better. However Antonio shifting to the back line has seen a marked improvement in Fremantle's defensive capabilities in recent weeks as well and probably evens that ledger as well. The prospective match up of Antonio on Harris is an exciting one.

On paper this should be a fairly routine win for Fremantle having easily accounted for the 3rd best team in North Melbourne last week but it is an away game (thanks AFL HQ) and they need to make sure they don't count their chickens too early as Carlton is still a really good team (miles ahead of all other teams in their conference). The messaging throughout the week by Bowers, Sharp etc has been about not taking them for granted so I strongly doubt they'll drop the ball in this match and bring their trademark pressure from the opening bounce through to the final siren. Excepting Adelaide, Fremantle is easily the best 4th quarter team in the competition, so worst case it might take a final quarter walk over to get the job done but I can't see how Carlton wins this unless Freo are caught napping.

I'm not expecting that. I think Fremantle have been building into some awesome form the past couple of weeks and can see them taking another step up against Carlton on their way to meeting Adelaide (almost certainly) in the Grand Final. They'll want to perform strongly to give them the necessary confidence to think they can cause an upset for the clear premiership favourites.

Fremantle by 5 goals.

Good work (again) WayTOGo.

If anyone is in Melbourne for this game, I suggest the Great Northern Hotel - used to be purple friendly, presumably still is (I haven't been for 2 years) as the place to go before or after the match, it's about 1km away from Ikon Stadium, so not too far to walk. I'm trying to wriggle out of some stuff so that I can go, so no promises on my behalf.

Ikon Park. To get there via public transport, take the train from Flinders Street on the Upwey line, get off at Royal Park (zoo) and walk through the park then cross the great big multi-lane road (Royal Parade). There are also a few tram options.

Great Northern Hotel http://www.gnh.net.au/

Good work (again) WayTOGo.

If anyone is in Melbourne for this game, I suggest the Great Northern Hotel - used to be purple friendly, presumably still is (I haven't been for 2 years) as the place to go before or after the match, it's about 1km away from Ikon Stadium, so not too far to walk. I'm trying to wriggle out of some stuff so that I can go, so no promises on my behalf.

Ikon Park. To get there via public transport, take the train from Flinders Street on the Upwey line, get off at Royal Park (zoo) and walk through the park then cross the great big multi-lane road (Royal Parade). There are also a few tram options.

Great Northern Hotel http://www.gnh.net.au/
Great idea
I will be there

Are you in Perth? Are you sure? 7/7HD should have it on live at 11:30am tomorrow.
Yeah in Perth. They advertised it at half time that broadcast starts at 2pm AWST.

Edit: will double check. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Edit #2: I AM WRONG AND AS SUCH I AM WILLING TO PROSTRATE MYSELF BEFORE PORTRAITS OF BASIL AND BARRA TO SHOW MY REMORSE AT ACCUSING CHANNEL WEAGLE OF DOING WRONG BY US YET AGAIN. I’M SORRY CHANNEL 7, I WILL (FOR THE NEXT DAY OR TWO) BAPTISE MYSELF WITH THE HOLY WATER FROM MY GARDEN HOSE (and then renounce but sssshhhh) IN THE CHURCH OF THE 7TH CHANNEL.

Preview 11am, game 11.30. 👍🏼 7/71/7HD

Last edited:
Yeah in Perth. They advertised it at half time that broadcast starts at 2pm AWST.

Edit: will double check. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Edit #2: I AM WRONG AND AS SUCH I AM WILLING TO PROSTRATE MYSELF BEFORE PORTRAITS OF BASIL AND BARRA TO SHOW MY REMORSE AT ACCUSING CHANNEL WEAGLE OF DOING WRONG BY US YET AGAIN. I’M SORRY CHANNEL 7, I WILL (FOR THE NEXT DAY OR TWO) BAPTISE MYSELF WITH THE HOLY WATER FROM MY GARDEN HOSE (and then renounce but sssshhhh) IN THE CHURCH OF THE 7TH CHANNEL.

Preview 11am, game 11.30. 👍🏼 7/71/7HD

10 hail mary's, 1 our father - and to be sure that the devil aint in ya, 5 bloody mary's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kara has been rehabbing hard over the last six weeks, lost her pace and resting deep forward for a break. I'm very happy she is having a week off, we really needed her to get into the finals but if we are to win the grand final we need her well rested. Not kept together with tape like Judd.

It was obvious over the last few weeks she was playing hurt. They got here with half a Donnellan, so her absence doesn't hurt as much as if they had been relying on her.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Yeah Kara had like 4 disposals last week. Pretty clear she's been struggling with niggles this season. Could only imagine how good Freo could be if she was at full fitness. Pretty confident because Matilda Sargeant was excellent in the midfield last week - probably deserved a Rising Star nom. Bowers, Hooker and Miller is a pretty dominant midfield anyway :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back