Training AFLW Preseason 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure, but in his interview he said he was changing up the game plan and style. They will play an upbeat style of footy. He is changing elements of the program, the game plan, training.

Talks about it around the 2 and half min mark.

I was down at Vic Park last night and the VFLW preseason was beginning with a 2km time trial. I couldn't hang around to see them run though unfortunately but talked to a few of the new players joining the team and they were of course very excited ....(didn't get names sorry).

I spoke to Matty for a wee bit too. I asked how both sides were travelling and touch wood both are going really, really well .... full squads! The training at the Watsonia Army barracks was run by the Army PT's which makes sense seeing it's their back yard but agree with other posters, it was a great initiative by the coaching staff. 👍

1578460209336.png

I was at down at vic park last night, but it was quite late. Probably about 9pm.
What time did they start?

Probably about 5:45 they were out having one to one warm up kick to kicks .... and then I presume it was about 6 they disappeared into the guest change rooms for a briefing and that's when I had to leave. There were cones out across the ground for drills which Cloe was putting out.

Not sure why they were in the guest change rooms but there seems to be a bit of ongoing reno work going on for those that haven't been down the way for a awhile. The replacement seating in the Sherrin stands are coming along nicely and there's also a few cabinets / furniture removed sitting under the stairs. I guess it might be taken from the main change room.

1578537882022.png

Steve Symonds was there and I presume that Chris Clifton was there too (it was another bloke anyway).

Probably about 5:45 they were out having one to one warm up kick to kicks .... and then I presume it was about 6 they disappeared into the guest change rooms for a briefing and that's when I had to leave. There were cones out across the ground for drills which Cloe was putting out.

Not sure why they were in the guest change rooms but there seems to be a bit of ongoing reno work going on for those that haven't been down the way for a awhile. The replacement seating in the Sherrin stands are coming along nicely and there's also a few cabinets / furniture removed sitting under the stairs. I guess it might be taken from the main change room.

View attachment 803773

Steve Symonds was there and I presume that Chris Clifton was there too (it was another bloke anyway).

Wish they'd negotiated to have the "Optus" signage on the kit in white instead of yellow/gold. Far too Richmondy for my liking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we got smacked by north by around 6 goals in the match sim. Going by the updates from the north aflw twitter page

Does not Fill me with Confidence we might actually not Suck for once in the AFLW

Looks like they got out of it what they wanted.

“We got what we wanted out of it,” Symonds told collingwoodfc.com.au post the session.

“We wanted to see what our younger players could offer in different roles and we saw some exciting things.”
Only Brianna Davey and Kristy Stratton missed the session (both were managed).

Lauren Bulter and Alana Porter were an electric duo in defence while Irish recruit Aishling Sheridan offered great speed in the forward line.

There were also some positive improvements from Sarah Rowe in front of goal as well as Sharni Layton in the ruck.

Ash Brazill was her usual self as a force down back but she also spent time up forward, managing to boot a major late in the final term.

Having struggled at times to hold the front position of their opponents, the Pies managed to find their way and became more dominant in the final term.

“North’s is one of the teams who is expected to be up there this season, so it was a great opportunity for us to play against a really established group who’ve been consistently strong over the past 12 months,” Symonds said.

“But it was good to see some signs in terms of fitness and structure particularly in the last quarter from our group.

“We now know the areas we need to tighten up and we’ll focus on that over the next couple of weeks.”

Looks like they got out of it what they wanted.

Hopefully the injury to Ruby Schleicher isn't too significant.

EDIT: Confirmed as a minor knee issue, should be right for the start of the season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back