Women's Footy AFLW R.5 Crows vs Lions...Norwood Oval, Saturday 4th March, 6:40PM CDST

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasted too many options not lowering their eyes going into the forward line with "blind" kicks, also very frustrating watching the Loins girls easily transition out of the backline after every point...same play out wide to an unattended player every time with another player in the clear up the line...ordinary coaching not to block that easy get out.

This is absolutely correct. In fact, in my limited watching of these matches, our major problem is too often allowing "loose women" for the oppo, who then look like much better and faster players than they would in contests. If the goalkicking were not so appalling, we would have paid much more heavily for these lapses. In contested situations, we look much better.

The biggest problem was the crows bombing it to the Brisbane loose player.

All night long they had at least 1 and usually 2 free players ahead of the ball and we kicked it to them.

Even when we made a contest, it meant Brisbane could lock the ball down and we couldn't easily rove the ball of the pack.
That was the reason we had a lot more forward entries, but they were ineffective.

Heartbreaking loss but honestly, outside of some shocking kicking in the first quarter I thought we weren't bad. Brisbane are the real deal, they were a cut above everyone else we've played so far. Sadly that loss almost certainly means we'll have to face them in Queensland if we want to win the premiership.

Hopefully we end up looking back at tonight as "the loss we had to have" as opposed to "the loss that derailed our season".

Not sure if you've watched any of our other games but it was a completely different game tonight. In all of our other games when teams bomb it in we have been able to either take some easy marks or at the very least get some clean ball and get it out of our D50 without a great deal of fuss. The Crows were far better than any team we've faced so far, made it much harder for our defence because you have such skilled forwards...same can be said for your defence. Either team can win on their day, very evenly matched.

Not sure if you've watched any of our other games but it was a completely different game tonight. In all of our other games when teams bomb it in we have been able to either take some easy marks or at the very least get some clean ball and get it out of our D50 without a great deal of fuss. The Crows were far better than any team we've faced so far, made it much harder for our defence because you have such skilled forwards...same can be said for your defence. Either team can win on their day, very evenly matched.
we're very hard working and have made every team earn their possessions, but your lot is definitely a class above in terms of skill.

our intensity and your ability to drop uncontested marks kept it a tight contest.

we're very hard working and have made every team earn their possessions, but your lot is definitely a class above in terms of skill.

our intensity and your ability to drop uncontested marks kept it a tight contest.

We saw Todd Banfield levels of fumbling tonight.

Heartbreaking loss but honestly, outside of some shocking kicking in the first quarter I thought we weren't bad. Brisbane are the real deal, they were a cut above everyone else we've played so far. Sadly that loss almost certainly means we'll have to face them in Queensland if we want to win the premiership.

Hopefully we end up looking back at tonight as "the loss we had to have" as opposed to "the loss that derailed our season".
A squad that predominantly live in the same city and train together. They are very disciplined, hold their structures better than we did tonight and attack the ball well.

Well just got home from the game after dinner on the Parade so haven't read the thread. (We have a rule - watch footy and discuss and leave phones off for the game!). And we had a ball - thoroughly enjoyed it. Fantastic match to watch from the western stand. Absolutely agree with the Lions Mod, this was a really evenly matched game. The Lions also played a really smart game with Sabrina and their number 7 (sorry I've forgotten her name) were real standouts IMO. They sure are the real deal and I can't congratulate the Lions women enough - was a great game to watch. And I can't name one other team in the comp that would have beaten either of us tonight.

Having said that I thought we really took it up to them. One more straight kick and it would have gone our way. So while I'm disappointed for us, after a terrific game I'm also think AFLW has a really exciting future. :thumbsu::)

Couple of points that might have altered the result ( don't know if already said as haven't read whole thread)

1. I thought the wind dropped in the last quarter so didn't really get that advantage
2. They only have time off when goals are scored but in last quarter, umpire stopped play when there wass a blood rule and also when a player was on the ground with trainers. Thats fine but the clock continued to tick so the last quarter lost about 2 minutes with those 2 instances,. I think they should have time off in those cases

Didn't watch any last night but watching it this morning?

How good is it at Norwood oval? Perfect size ground as it's not too big, atmosphere great. Once again Norwood Oval shows why it's the home of football.

Didn't watch any last night but watching it this morning?

How good is it at Norwood oval? Perfect size ground as it's not too big, atmosphere great. Once again Norwood Oval shows why it's the home of football.

Easy to say that watching it on TV but the facilities at the ground leave a lot to be desired and did not cope at all with the big crowd last night.

Couple of points that might have altered the result ( don't know if already said as haven't read whole thread)

1. I thought the wind dropped in the last quarter so didn't really get that advantage
2. They only have time off when goals are scored but in last quarter, umpire stopped play when there wass a blood rule and also when a player was on the ground with trainers. Thats fine but the clock continued to tick so the last quarter lost about 2 minutes with those 2 instances,. I think they should have time off in those cases

Watching on TV the clock did stop for the blood rule

but not when McCormick was getting treatment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy to say that watching it on TV but the facilities at the ground leave a lot to be desired and did not cope at all with the big crowd last night.
It used to cope just fine when the SANFL was in its hay day and if the 2 residents that are complaining get out of the way, it will be upgraded and ammenities won't be a problem.

Sure the facilities struggled but the ground and ground catering coped quite well with the crowd. What issues did you see to think the ground didn't cope with the crowd?

Sure the facilities struggled but the ground and ground catering coped quite well with the crowd. What issues did you see to think the ground didn't cope with the crowd?

They allow Norwood supporters in. I think that's brucetikis main beef.

On a serious note I think he listed his issues earlier.

They allow Norwood supporters in. I think that's brucetikis main beef.

On a serious note I think he listed his issues earlier.
Yes, sightlines and poor seats in the stands. But it doesn't equate to the ground didn't cope with the crowd. They are 2 separate issues

I didn't want to say it, but my favourite Marinoff burnt her teammates in better position a few times by not handballing and instead blindly kicking to opposition advantage.

She's the best kick in the side, a lot of the girls are very slow with their kicks, it's not instinctual for them yet. It's probably what she is told to do, to kick when she gets the ball, unless there is a good kick she can handball it to.

Yeah it was packed last night, there was easily a 15-20 minute wait at each of the canteens and the line up for the toilets was massive.

In the end I went over the OTR across the road at quarter time to avoid waiting and interestingly enough I saw two Norwood officials in there with sack trucks filling them up with slabs of bottled water to re-sell at the game because they were almost out. Clearly they didn't cater for 12k people showing up last night.

It was great at Norwood oval, but it definitely struggled a bit due to the size of the crowd.

Really enjoyed that game, hopefully the gf is a replay as I think we watched the two best teams in the comp, epsecially both travel every second week, which is a huge factor for the women given they need to go back to work and study on the Monday.

Geez the standard of play is light years ahead of the first round, will be very interesting next season to see how it's lifted.

Geez Philips is a good player, what myself every time she got near the ball in forward 50.

The less said about the umpiring the better, although if you look at it like they're unpring a wet weather footy game then it's not quite as bad.

The fact that I was nervous during the last qtr shows that this comp has something. Also unusual to watch a lions team with something on the line, haven't had that since 09.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back