Women's Footy AFLW R.7 Crows vs Pies Olympic Pk. Melb. 1pm Sunday 19/03/17

Remove this Banner Ad

What I've been informed is that she is in Australia on a visa that has a time limit which is why she started later than other players and work has already started on the timing for next year.
Well you better get on the phone to Basketball Australia and let them know an American was playing for the Opals in Rio last year.

It is ludicrous that the Gabba is worried the AFLW match may affect the pitch for the Ashes, when the ashes are in late November and there is an entire season of AFL to be played at the Gabba.

It's probably about money. AFL doesn't want to pay, perhaps the ground manager doesn't feel like they should be footing the bill. The oval is obviously available, otherwise negotiations would have terminated immediately.

Why haven't they been working on it for the past one to two weeks is the question that needs to be asked or has the concert been a larger problem than they anticipated?
Sorry for the intrusion. But the problem isn't the AFL here. They've been trying to pull it off. It's the cricket boys club at Stadiums Qld and the cricket-obsessed Gabba curator. They'll put up with us between April and August, but otherwise they don't want a bar of us. The surface is as they expected it - it won't be perfect obviously but it's manageable - plenty of AFL games will have been played on worse. But they do not want to compromise on this at all. If they had their way they'd kick us off the Gabba for our first two men's home matches against Essendon & Richmond.

Sorry for the intrusion. But the problem isn't the AFL here. They've been trying to pull it off. It's the cricket boys club at Stadiums Qld and the cricket-obsessed Gabba curator. They'll put up with us between April and August, but otherwise they don't want a bar of us. The surface is as they expected it - it won't be perfect obviously but it's manageable - plenty of AFL games will have been played on worse. But they do not want to compromise on this at all. If they had their way they'd kick us off the Gabba for our first two men's home matches against Essendon & Richmond.
Welcome to 1970 Adelaide.

Don't worry it will resolve itself in 44 years :thumbsu:

Well you better get on the phone to Basketball Australia and let them know an American was playing for the Opals in Rio last year.

They would know. It is a lot more common than you think and every country would have athletes that live and have residency or citizenship in another country but qualify for a different country.

For example Kasumi Takahashi who won 5 gold medals for Australia at the 1994 Commonwealth Games lived in the US and could have competed for Japan or Australia. She qualified for both countries as her father was Japanese and her mother was Australian. She couldn't compete for the US even though she had lived the majority of her life there. She ultimately selected Australia as we didn't care she was going to continue to live in the US while Japan wanted her to reside for part of the year in Japan as part of agreeing to compete for them. It ultimately comes down to the specific local Federation rules, and all are different in their requirements.

They would know. It is a lot more common than you think and every country would have athletes that live and have residency or citizenship in another country but qualify for a different country.

For example Kasumi Takahashi who won 5 gold medals for Australia at the 1994 Commonwealth Games lived in the US and could have competed for Japan or Australia. She qualified for both countries as her father was Japanese and her mother was Australian. She couldn't compete for the US even though she had lived the majority of her life there. She ultimately selected Australia as we didn't care she was going to continue to live in the US while Japan wanted her to reside for part of the year in Japan as part of agreeing to compete for them. It ultimately comes down to the specific local Federation rules, and all are different in their requirements.
She would still need to be at least dual citizen to play for the Opals, like I said in my original reply! (and I haven't seen any evidence that she is even that)

You do not need to be a US citizen to play in the WNBA. Foreign players do need a work permit and that might impact on her ability to be out of the USA, but it has nothing to do with her not being an Australian.

Surely the stadium owners get more income from Footy than anything else...

right?

Whoohoo the Crow's gals into the GF! great effort to steady after it got shaky there for a while.
do the basics well and the flag is there for the taking!
Go Crows.

She would still need to be at least dual citizen to play for the Opals, like I said in my original reply! (and I haven't seen any evidence that she is even that)

You do not need to be a US citizen to play in the WNBA. Foreign players do need a work permit and that might impact on her ability to be out of the USA, but it has nothing to do with her not being an Australian.
She isnt a US citizen

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the stadium owners get more income from Footy than anything else...

right?
Probably, but not as much as they used because we've been rubbish for a decade and they've got BBL now. But the problem is they can still dick us around. What are we going to do? Play our games at Metricon? Hardly. We don't have any alternatives, hence they can always rip us off with the stadium deal, the surface, etc.

Welcome to 2017 Adelaide. Good luck getting a footy game on AO in designated non-footy months.

The SMA haven't shown themselves as benevolent as yet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The SMA asked for $60,000 and the match would have gone ahead at AO

Haha i bet if Melbourne made it the GF would of been at the MCG.
The fact that we dont have an answer now lends weight to the idea that afl was hoping for melbourne to be in gf and hold it in melbourne. There is no reason why the afl would not have an answer on gabba by today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back