Game Day AFLW R1 2019 - Crows vs Dogs @Norwood (2/2/19)

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
A game of wasted efforts.
1 goal 11 behinds. Sheesh.

Randall a star but a few of the crows players just don't put in like they should.

Randall often looks so far above the rest it's frightening.

Nearly every good play that we have, in terms of run and overlap, starts with her vision.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I wouldn't go aflx grounds necessarily, but since most struggle to kick 40 m it wouldn't hurt to cut each third of the ground down by 10 m

Because the lack of depth in the kicking is a significant contributor to the inability to score goals, and a smaller ground would alter that substantially.

It's a two fold issue:

1) Players have only a narrow scoring range- they can't convert set shots from 30+ with regularity.

2) Players do not have the depth of kick to get the ball to players within their kicking range. During the course of that game, how many marks taken within range?

You reduce the length of the ground, you take that away. Suddenly more possession occurs within scoring range. Would significantly increase scoring.

That's of course if you want a high scoring product. The fans of the sport might be happy with a soccer like product in which you expect 2-1 wins. I can't say I find it heaps of a draw.

In part I chose not to go today because I attended a game last year where the same thing happened- we just didnt kick any goals for the entire match. It wasnt an enjoyable enough experience for me to brave the heat and crowd today. I'll probably go to some games later in the year, but it's a downward push on enthusiasm.

Still, I'm not really who the sport is for.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think if we can forget the shocking inaccuracy, it was a really good contest between 2 hungry teams.

We have a lot of new players, so it seems the inaccuracy was a by-product of the team unsure of itself when going up forward ie. not yet gel-ing in forward structures.

Eloise Jones is going to be a star but she messed up bad tonight with the miss directly in front, and the stray kick to pass to Scheer which rolled into the behinds.

We have the foundation. Just need to gel better and more composure up forward.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
The marking has improved heaps this season
Field kicking and aerial work vastly improved which is great to see.

A bit like people bemoaning the Socceroos performances though (we just need a striker....) the hardest thing to do in any sport is score goals. And this skill will be the final frontier for AFLW.

Every other skill will improve first because they're easier. And - because defensive skills are the easiest of all - finding players with the quality to kick goals regularly will take a very long time unfortunately.

Back