Game Day AFLW R1: Crows vs GWS @ Thebarton Oval 4:35pm Sat 4/2/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things.
  1. It's unrealistic to expect anyone to block out thoughts of whether players are attractive while watching sports. Regardless of whether it's men/women watching women's/men's sports
  2. There are very few (if any) people watching AFLW for the primary or only reason that some players are attractive. If someone wants to view attractive women, the internet makes that very easy; there's no point watching AFLW for that reason. Most people are watching AFLW for the game itself; the attractiveness of some players is, as with the men's AFL, a bonus.
And you certainly wouldn't make the arduous 20 min drive to Thebby oval in the rain, if you didn't actually want to watch the game

Initially i was most excited about the players excitement at the opportunity they've earned .......after that it was the competitiveness displayed by all teams that compelled me to continue to watch the whole game

I think as the game matures and more people get involved, we'll see a similar trend in AFLW body types as what happened with the men though.

In future years I suspect AFLW players will be significantly taller than average and highly aerobically and athletically gifted.

For now, though, the diversity in player shapes and sizes will definitely encourage more young girls to play
Yes, remember Noth Melbournes Gasometer .....or North Adelaides Grenville Dietrich

Re Perkins - I'd prefer to have her kicking for my life from 40m than Dmac

That goal of hers was superb - I was sitting behind her and to her right so had a terrific view of the kick - and I tell you this girl could teach our boys a bit about the drop and kicking for goal. She reminds me a bit of Peter Carey - can read the game, positions herself well, tackles well, uses her body well - and the bonus is that she can kick straight from the 50! Great selection WCrows! :thumbsu:

That goal of hers was superb - I was sitting behind her and to her right so had a terrific view of the kick - and I tell you this girl could teach our boys a bit about the drop and kicking for goal. She reminds me a bit of Peter Carey - can read the game, positions herself well, tackles well, uses her body well - and the bonus is that she can kick straight from the 50! Great selection WCrows! :thumbsu:

The girl can play, its obvious why the crows took her on that they rated her even though she was several kgs overweight. I like that the crows clearly drafted on player ability rather than just athleticism and I think its clear some teams did take the athlete approach and they got flogged comprehensively as a result. Genuine footballing ability will always and I mean always win out in this type of competition. Its not like AFL where they can learn the craft in the reserves for a few seasons. Picking sport hopping athletes is not simply the answer and I think GWS, Fremantle and Collingwood paid dearly for poor planning.

I think its clearly out of the Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Crows and Melbourne for the premiership now. Unless Brisbane can cause an upset today (Which I doubt)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my guess is the traveling team that can deal with the crowd pressure best is most likely to win the comp this year.

so far
138 pts scored by the home teams
35 pts scored by the away teams

hunt those Doggies!

The girl can play, its obvious why the crows took her on that they rated her even though she was several kgs overweight. I like that the crows clearly drafted on player ability rather than just athleticism and I think its clear some teams did take the athlete approach and they got flogged comprehensively as a result. Genuine footballing ability will always and I mean always win out in this type of competition. Its not like AFL where they can learn the craft in the reserves for a few seasons. Picking sport hopping athletes is not simply the answer and I think GWS, Fremantle and Collingwood paid dearly for poor planning.

I think its clearly out of the Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Crows and Melbourne for the premiership now. Unless Brisbane can cause an upset today (Which I doubt)

Good post :thumbsu: Couldn't agree more. And her sensational effort to get her fitness to a point where she can play a game out comfortably was obviously rewarded.

The second point was what I remember reading from the study, that once there was the minimal amount for that person, then a concussion occurred and I think for the one player that had a much lower minimal amount there wasn't more severe symptoms they suffered when they received a greater force hit. The researchers were cautious about this because it was just that one person's results on the lower level. There is a wider study going to be undertaken I thought I read.

There are new studies around about the differences, the ones using soccer in the US are interesting, unfortunately, they highlight that Females are suffering concussions at a high rate than Males. The good thing is they are starting to recognising it and determining a better approach to treatments.
some good article's to read would be
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/concussions-affect-women-more-adversely-than-men/
This article is good because it raises the need for awareness. Amongst other points.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...gender-differences-complicate-concussion-care

How is it there were clear flag favourites before anyone had played? Are some of the teams stacked?

I think it's partly about the talent pool in each team's state. WA has a lot of talent so people believed Fremantle would do really well. SA and NSW have poor talent pools so GWS and us weren't as highly rated.

How is it that there were clear flag favourites before anyone had played? Are some of the teams stacked?

Its about the drafting. Some teams drafted well on ability while others drafted a good mixture and others just drafted code hoping athletes with some marquees. Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs drafted well and they had some huge marquee signings. Adelaide did well, I think we were underestimated because many outside the state would have not taken Erin Phillips selection seriously since she hadnt played footy in 10 years. Adelaide need to play better to get close to the bulldogs and melbourne imo. We were too sloppy in the backline and midfield at times.

He may have gone too far but what's she done is pretty amazing, that's a huge amount of weight and she's putting herself out there when her body shape obviously stands out.

She tried to get drafted to elite level women's footy whilst being morbidly obese. She missed out and did something about her weight. It's a good story, but there's no lessons there for male recruits who have probably watched every calorie that's gone into their body since they were 13.

At least the call for deaneus sacking was longer in coming than Trump :p

It's fake news outlets like BigFooty spreading LIES! I'm here to Make Adelaide Great Again!! The people have spoken

She tried to get drafted to elite level women's footy whilst being morbidly obese. She missed out and did something about her weight. It's a good story, but there's no lessons there for male recruits who have probably watched every calorie that's gone into their body since they were 13.

Scouts would approach players they are interested in and suggest they need to drop a few kgs if they want to be drafted if it ever gets to that stage. Hawkins though was a fatty when he arrived at Geelong. Not morbidly obese but still.

Just on the weight loss issue. Who is this story about? ( I have edited one or two identifiers)

“To get the opportunity of being on an AFL list and seeing if you can handle it would be the ultimate,’’ said ??, who has shed an incredible 40kg since being spotted playing country footy by an Essendon recruiting scout two years ago.

?? weighed a beefy 150kg when Bombers scout Ron Thomas watched the player representative in the state country championships in Wagga, New South Wales.

I reckon there's a photo of him playing country footy where he's holding the ball and it looks like a tennis ball. He was a big boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back