Game Day AFLW R1: Crows vs GWS @ Thebarton Oval 4:35pm Sat 4/2/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a thought watching the opening of Outsiders - I can't think of a female team game on the planet where women play with such physicality without protective gear. Yes I know netball and hockey (my game) can be rough and physical but IMO this AFLW takes womens physicality to a whole new level. I can easily imagine the rest of the world looking on in amazement at this - and this a good thing. :thumbsu:

I reckon there's a photo of him playing country footy where he's holding the ball and it looks like a tennis ball. He was a big boy.
435736-sam-baulderstone.jpg

from that to this
052dd0d2c78236571d94af2aceec2a20

So we could only pick from our state/NT?
It was a strategic decision by the Crows to amalgamate Sth Aust and NT to support its case for entry to the AFLW ......somewhat driven by the perception that Sth Aust talent was a bit thin

That said the GWS decision to admit them into the AFLW was purely AFL driven and not on merit of any submission by the club

It was a strategic decision by the Crows to amalgamate Sth Aust and NT to support its case for entry to the AFLW ......somewhat driven by the perception that Sth Aust talent was a bit thin

That said the GWS decision to admit them into the AFLW was purely AFL driven and not on merit of any submission by the club

The alliance with NT was always going to kill off Ports proposal and given SA wasn't initially likely to get a team, it probably was the key factor in SA getting a team full stop. I think it's also a strong move for the club in general as it promotes our brand in a footy wrong area that has no team of its own.

The alliance with NT was always going to kill off Ports proposal and given SA wasn't initially likely to get a team, it probably was the key factor in SA getting a team full stop. I think it's also a strong move for the club in general as it promotes our brand in a footy wrong area that has no team of its own.
Agree .....certainly causes the Crows to be the favored team in the Northern Territory, both Men and Womens :thumbsu:

I think it's partly about the talent pool in each team's state. WA has a lot of talent so people believed Fremantle would do really well. SA and NSW have poor talent pools so GWS and us weren't as highly rated.
Also, Fremantle got the most highly regarded coach.

Imagine if Freo's women's team won a flag before their men's team...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say we should get behind Sarah Perkins for cult hero. Not only is she a gun footballer but she epitomizes grit and determination to succeed against all odds. She also shows women of all shapes and sizes can play football. Great role model for all young girls. Well done Sarah! The haters can go f@#k themselves. She is my favorite.

I say we should get behind Sarah Perkins for cult hero. Not only is she a gun footballer but she epitomizes grit and determination to succeed against all odds. She also shows women of all shapes and sizes can play football. Great role model for all young girls. Well done Sarah! The haters can go f@#k themselves. She is my favorite.
Think she may end up being the surprise packet next season ......this may spur her on to get even fitter to match her footy skills

What haters, everyone loves her.

Watch the Game Live and the replay, and it did remind me of early SANFL games before they became more professional,
I believe given a few years and Once the women players become full-time, the skill levels from all the players will increase 10 fold.
ie- Give the current players full-time men like preseason and the skills level will jump out, Stronger legs = longer kicks,
One thing after watching you could not fault the endeavour, Football players going hard at it, putting body and soul on the line which separates our game from others.
I Like the Crows style of play they seem to play a quicker running type game, learning towards moving the ball forward at all cost.
I do have a concern with the fade out in the last, but that could be put done to expending too much nervous energy early.

Last edited:
Just watched the game on youtube. Really entertaining. Can't wait to see the next game on a nice dry sunny day. Reckon it will take the whole thing up a notch.

I think they could reduce the match time a little bit more at least while these girls have to hold down full time jobs on the side. I reckon 10 minute quarters is about right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back