Review AFLW R2 v Richmond @ Metricon 4:10pm Feb 15 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
First ever AFLW home game for us. No reported injuries for either club. I don't know if any of our girls deserve to be dropped after their performance yesterday but I'm open to the discussion if anyone else feels differently.

Anyone else feeling confident after the way we and the Tigers performed over the weekend? Richmond's depth is highly questionable beyond a few key players such as Sabrina Frederick and Katie Brennan. I think Ahrens is a good matchup for Frederick as they are exactly the same height at 182cm and Richmond seem to want to use Katie Brennan as a midfielder so I'm not entirely sure which of our mids goes to her but I think our pressure in the middle was outstanding yesterday so I'm not too worried about Brennan. Would really like to see Kaslar hit the scoreboard in this one because I feel she's been underwhelming as a forward for us to date and the way she can impact a game is being under utilised IMO.

First ever AFLW home game for us. No reported injuries for either club. I don't know if any of our girls deserve to be dropped after their performance yesterday but I'm open to the discussion if anyone else feels differently.

Anyone else feeling confident after the way we and the Tigers performed over the weekend? Richmond's depth is highly questionable beyond a few key players such as Sabrina Frederick and Katie Brennan. I think Ahrens is a good matchup for Frederick as they are exactly the same height at 182cm and Richmond seem to want to use Katie Brennan as a midfielder so I'm not entirely sure which of our mids goes to her but I think our pressure in the middle was outstanding yesterday so I'm not too worried about Brennan. Would really like to see Kaslar hit the scoreboard in this one because I feel she's been underwhelming as a forward for us to date and the way she can impact a game is being under utilised IMO.
Sabrina would be the least worry for me. She 's slow and out of shape it's not funny and was one of the worst Tigers players for me. Her first year in AFLW with Lions was easily her best. She is regressing every year.

We really could not get ball forward too much so not surprised by limited impact by Kaslar as a forward. The difference in I50 was huge.

I watched all games so far. Only Carlton looked stood out for me. The rest played at similar level. Crows were really disappointing. Lions jumped them and they never recovered. They were hopeless going forward.

We definitely have a shot against Tigers to claim the first victory.

From what I saw the team played really well and should be allowed to play again to gain synergy unless we have a star coming back?GWS kept it locked in their forward line for most of the match but this was helped immensely by the conditions. The fact that they too only scored one goal despite the ball being in their forward 50 most of the time was a great effort by our defence.

Liked the speed that Parker and Howarth have.
They seemed like the could be dangerous on the fast break, just need to get their hands on the ball a bit more.

The weather obviously played a massive part in the scoring but it seems to me that is going to be our best bet for scoring, getting out the back on the fast break.

I didn’t get to see the full game yesterday but to me looked like kaslar was used in a tagger type role..
Brennan seems overrated looks like she’s scared to get hurt so if the tackling pressure from the first half yesterday is used then Brennan will probably not do a lot to protect herself from injury as she’s missed a lot of games previously

Exciting stuff to see the first of our three inaugural signings debuting this week! Hampson is supposed to be a gun so I'm very interested to see how she goes on Saturday. They've named her at full forward which is an interesting selection given she was an U18 AA defender last year. Perhaps this has something to do with wanting to play Kaslar higher up the ground?

Hampson is a Townsville native for anyone that might be wondering.

Game day!

I've got a good feeling about today's match. I think we're going to get to sing the song for the first time in 2020. What do you guys think?

We're not going to get any rain for this game so the skills should be considerably better than they were last week. I'm also really interested to see how Hampson goes playing forward on debut.

Should mention a win would see us jump into the Conference A top 3 (a finals position) so that's exciting too!

go girls! beautiful kick from surman and amazing body work from Britt Perry there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some nice link ups across the ground and some good pieces of play.. getting better with every game!
Hope Jamie Stanton is ok looked to be in a lot of pain when she ran off

We are going far better than I thought we would!

Stanton is a big loss. Could be out for the season. :( Such a leader and warrior for us in the midfield.
not actually sure what injury it is.
Was a heavy hit and supporting it like a cracked collarbone but will wait to see.
She was our best last week and good again so far. Hopefully she'll be able to get back out there.

Yeah I’m trying to be positive here.
I hope she was just winded and had it in the jumper as a reassurance just in case. She’s a gun so I hope there’s not too much too it and doesn’t miss multiple weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back